Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you shoot?

jskd82

• 2 weeks later...

Once or twice a month depending on what is going on. Typically an hour or two ~250-300 rounds depending on what im practicing. Its a rather restrictive range, but a very nice facility. Im going to try to join a second range this year with some outdoor areas, but we will see.

My main focus this year is trying USPSA (casually), range training gets quite boring after you have a handle on the fundamentals. 

Once a week to the indoor pistol range.  I go during my lunch break so I only shoot for about 45 minutes (range is about 5 minutes from my house).

When the weather clears I'll add once every other week to the outdoor range for rifle.  I'll throw in an extra day here and there in the spring and summer if the kids want to shoot.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, Bronk5150 said:

Not nearly enough with winter being here...

This is the sad unfortunate truth. That said I haven’t made it a point to force my self to dryfire hardly at all. Hopefully I can find some motivation soon, this winter feels like forever. 

Used to go at least 1-2 times a month. It’s sadly been more than that lately. I have kept dry firing but with my wife being a stay at home mom to our 1 year old, 2 year old and 8 year old AND homeschooling them.........she needs some time away from the house on my down times from work lol. She does push me to go shoot more though. She’s the best wife there is!!

7 hours ago, mattmann said:

Used to go at least 1-2 times a month. It’s sadly been more than that lately. I have kept dry firing but with my wife being a stay at home mom to our 1 year old, 2 year old and 8 year old AND homeschooling them.........she needs some time away from the house on my down times from work lol. She does push me to go shoot more though. She’s the best wife there is!!

Thats a good wife!

I don't practice or dryfire - have other focuses. 

I go to matches 2x a month and just have fun and trial and error/practice on the courses. Obviously don't do this, because this isn't the way you should abstract practice/training/performance from each other.

I'm just sharing because I want you to know that you can spend time on other focuses (in my case, art), and still have fun at matches. You don't have to dryfire or practice to still have fun at matches.

I do ok at them. Shooting isn't everything.

The question about how much might also include age and classification.

Round count should include what are you working on. I discovered all my dry fire made me faster, my stage planning improved greatly and my times are amongst the better shooters. One problem, mikes, I have too many scored errors and I thought I was calling my shots (I’m and old guy 63, Production and B class). I’ve upped my live fire (in addition to dry) to about 1,000 rounds a week working on seeing the sights and calling my shots, not just sending ammo down range. 

It works and even for old guys who need a prescription to see the front sight my scores and placements have been improving. 

twice a week and sometimes three times! 

usually about 100 rounds per trip, but i usually go with a specific purpose in mind

like if i need to sight in my new scope or sight in my new red dot etc etc

also if i have guns laying around and i notice i havent shot them in a while ill take it to the range

just so i can stay in practice with all of them

I am really new to this.  I live fire about 4-6 per month.  I just started more serious dry fire practice at home.  My goal moving forward is to dry fire about 5 times per week for 30-60 minutes per session.  The little bit of dry fire i have done seems to have helped, looking forward to seeing what happens with more practice and focus.