Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Killenit

STI and smaller hands

Recommended Posts

I saw a post about small hands and changing the grips and trigger. Can anyone explain this more and maybe show me pics. Considering doing this after an instructor saw my grip was altered causing the front sight to sit more left in the rear sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the stock factory STI grip? Those are a little bit square feeling, especially in the front (under the trigger guard) corners so to speak. 

 

Having those squared corners rounded off a bit can really help make the grip feel smaller in the hand. 

 

If you are finding that the grip is too big you may want to see if anyone has a worked on grip in the classifieds. There was a Xtreme Shooters stippled grip last I looked. A DVC grip from someone who got a steel grip could also be a suitable solution to your situation. Hayes Custom has a video that talks a lot about different grips and their advantages.

 

Or pickup a stock grip and send it out to get worked on by someone who does good work with grips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Killenit said:

I saw a post about small hands and changing the grips and trigger. Can anyone explain this more and maybe show me pics. Considering doing this after an instructor saw my grip was altered causing the front sight to sit more left in the rear sight.

Killenit:

If your referring to a 2011 double stack, then contact Jason here:

https://www.extremeshooters.com/

They can modify your existing polymer or one of their offerings to fit many different hands!

 

👍

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

try to change trigger to short sti trigger. 

this will solve your problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a grip reduction and especially reprofile of the stock sti plastic grip made a world of difference on an Edge I had with one. I did it just by following a youtube tutorial I found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Killenit:

If your referring to a 2011 double stack, then contact Jason here:

https://www.extremeshooters.com/

They can modify your existing polymer or one of their offerings to fit many different hands!

 

👍

 

 

 

This^^^^^.      My wife has tiny hands, and her setup is:

 

One of Jason's Extra Small grips, double undercut,  less aggressive stippling.

SV trigger with a short curved insert

Low pad thumb safety (Brownell's)

Mitchell right side mag release--she uses her trigger finger to hit it.

Thumb rest "generic"  moved back so it uses just the 

front two holes, machined to clear slide stop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Limcat just released a small steel grip

50964424_2437214986306280_82215009113908

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mmlook said:

Limcat just released a small steel grip

50964424_2437214986306280_82215009113908

 

 

Good find mmlook!  This seems like a great option for those looking for a smaller grip

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HIREDgun45 said:

 

 

Good find mmlook!  This seems like a great option for those looking for a smaller grip

 

 

 

yup these look really good,
I was just about to order a pair of SV grips, but now I may have to rethink my choices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always felt like the stock sti grip, or 1911 grip in general was really small. I have pretty big hands, but I wouldn’t say abnormally large, but the stock grip with a magwell is way to busy and small for me. I just bought a Large DVC grip, a big hands magwell and a Svi long flat trigger. Hope it fits better then the stock grip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mmlook said:

 

yup these look really good,
I was just about to order a pair of SV grips, but now I may have to rethink my choices


100% can confirm the Limcat grip feels smaller than the SV. It's especially narrow in the back. Feels very 1911esque from behind. If you like that, then I think it's the grip for you.

Especially since it doesn't have that ergo curve like the PT Evo and SV Signature do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have small hands and I'm using an Extreme Shooters DVC Extra Small grip and an X-line Flat Extra Short trigger. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put one of the Xtreme Shooters small grips on my wife's and it seems to work for her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much everyone. I’m buying the XS grip extreme shooters makes and the smaller trigger. I hope this makes me feel better in the gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, open17 said:

 

This^^^^^.      My wife has tiny hands, and her setup is:

 

One of Jason's Extra Small grips, double undercut,  less aggressive stippling.

SV trigger with a short curved insert

Low pad thumb safety (Brownell's)

Mitchell right side mag release--she uses her trigger finger to hit it.

Thumb rest "generic"  moved back so it uses just the 

front two holes, machined to clear slide stop.

 

I’ve also noticed the mag release not always working when using my dominant hand so since I have a *thumb rest [generic]*(thumb rest) I just use weak hand thumb as I’m headed to the mags. It’s just as fast or faster and I know I’ve hit it every time. That’s brilliant though to put it on the right side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a DIY type you can always do the reduction/stipple yourself and add a short trigger. I used a sanding wheel on my dremel and reduced the grip. Just take it slow on the panels and be mindful of the mag release area when undercutting, the grip is thin in that area. The main difference in a 2011 grip and 1911 grip is the circumference. In fact the grips are very similar in width, measure with a caliper and you will see. The area to get the most reduction that will make a difference is the front strap and especially the front edges. Thankfully the grip is fairly thick here and leaves room to reduce. After you are done and have cleaned the grip off stipple to your desired pattern. I simply flipped the standard soldering iron rod upside down for a circular imprint. See pics in my dropbox link. That's my edge I did. You may also consider grip tape instead of stippling to get an even smaller grip feel on the gun.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hp7zpyt4kp74yw2/AAC7BeDmnlFSYr-nM32hbmona?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...