Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI and smaller hands

Killenit

Do you have the stock factory STI grip? Those are a little bit square feeling, especially in the front (under the trigger guard) corners so to speak. 

Having those squared corners rounded off a bit can really help make the grip feel smaller in the hand. 

If you are finding that the grip is too big you may want to see if anyone has a worked on grip in the classifieds. There was a Xtreme Shooters stippled grip last I looked. A DVC grip from someone who got a steel grip could also be a suitable solution to your situation. Hayes Custom has a video that talks a lot about different grips and their advantages.

Or pickup a stock grip and send it out to get worked on by someone who does good work with grips. 

50 minutes ago, Killenit said:

I saw a post about small hands and changing the grips and trigger. Can anyone explain this more and maybe show me pics. Considering doing this after an instructor saw my grip was altered causing the front sight to sit more left in the rear sight.

Killenit:

If your referring to a 2011 double stack, then contact Jason here:

https://www.extremeshooters.com/

They can modify your existing polymer or one of their offerings to fit many different hands!

👍

16 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Killenit:

If your referring to a 2011 double stack, then contact Jason here:

https://www.extremeshooters.com/

They can modify your existing polymer or one of their offerings to fit many different hands!

👍

This^^^^^.      My wife has tiny hands, and her setup is:

One of Jason's Extra Small grips, double undercut,  less aggressive stippling.

SV trigger with a short curved insert

Low pad thumb safety (Brownell's)

Mitchell right side mag release--she uses her trigger finger to hit it.

Thumb rest "generic"  moved back so it uses just the 

front two holes, machined to clear slide stop.

5 hours ago, HIREDgun45 said:

Good find mmlook!  This seems like a great option for those looking for a smaller grip

yup these look really good,
I was just about to order a pair of SV grips, but now I may have to rethink my choices

I always felt like the stock sti grip, or 1911 grip in general was really small. I have pretty big hands, but I wouldn’t say abnormally large, but the stock grip with a magwell is way to busy and small for me. I just bought a Large DVC grip, a big hands magwell and a Svi long flat trigger. Hope it fits better then the stock grip. 

2 hours ago, mmlook said:

yup these look really good,
I was just about to order a pair of SV grips, but now I may have to rethink my choices

100% can confirm the Limcat grip feels smaller than the SV. It's especially narrow in the back. Feels very 1911esque from behind. If you like that, then I think it's the grip for you.

Especially since it doesn't have that ergo curve like the PT Evo and SV Signature do.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, open17 said:

This^^^^^.      My wife has tiny hands, and her setup is:

One of Jason's Extra Small grips, double undercut,  less aggressive stippling.

SV trigger with a short curved insert

Low pad thumb safety (Brownell's)

Mitchell right side mag release--she uses her trigger finger to hit it.

Thumb rest "generic"  moved back so it uses just the 

front two holes, machined to clear slide stop.

I’ve also noticed the mag release not always working when using my dominant hand so since I have a *thumb rest [generic]*(thumb rest) I just use weak hand thumb as I’m headed to the mags. It’s just as fast or faster and I know I’ve hit it every time. That’s brilliant though to put it on the right side. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a DIY type you can always do the reduction/stipple yourself and add a short trigger. I used a sanding wheel on my dremel and reduced the grip. Just take it slow on the panels and be mindful of the mag release area when undercutting, the grip is thin in that area. The main difference in a 2011 grip and 1911 grip is the circumference. In fact the grips are very similar in width, measure with a caliper and you will see. The area to get the most reduction that will make a difference is the front strap and especially the front edges. Thankfully the grip is fairly thick here and leaves room to reduce. After you are done and have cleaned the grip off stipple to your desired pattern. I simply flipped the standard soldering iron rod upside down for a circular imprint. See pics in my dropbox link. That's my edge I did. You may also consider grip tape instead of stippling to get an even smaller grip feel on the gun.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hp7zpyt4kp74yw2/AAC7BeDmnlFSYr-nM32hbmona?dl=0