Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo vs CZ gripsize for big hands

bimmer1980

Hi everyone!

I got L-XL Hands (Long fingers i think) and i´m shooting a CZ sp01 Shadow.

Even with 3 layers of Griptape (front and back) and LOK Palm swells, it´s kind of hard to get enough meet to the Gun.

Are Tanfos any bigger, or is the CZ Platform (and clones) the wrong way to go for long fingers?

I have long skinny fingers. One reason i like the large frame tanfo, slightly bigger grip than shadow. The part that is difference is the tang/upper part of grip, it is not as undercut as shadow, making it feel larger. Palm swells increase little difference at upper part of grip. Add xtreme double action trigger, thick layer of silicon carbide on top of stock factory wood grips, it'll be substantial difference.

Edited by Polymer

As mentioned, Tanfo is larger than CZ which is why I initially went with Stock 2. After losing a battle with two of those 2016 guns, I moved to Shadow 2 and its grip is smallish. I asked LOK grips to make me extra fat bogies, no palm swell, just straight fat grips, and that solved it for me.

I had LOK make some grips are are the same as the boogies but with .080" added to make them as thick as the wood grips. I like a bigger gun, and this really helped a LOT. You can email him and get them custom made.

I got min in full checker instead of the boogies grip texture, but thats up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a CZ accushadow that I loved as it had 4lb DA and 2lb SA. I could make the lead fly. BUT even with thick LOK Bogie grips it still seemed a little thin.

Switch to Stock 1 and now firing more accurate but cant fire it quite as fast.

Even after Patriot Defense tune it's not as buttery as the Accushadow.

This weekend we had a Shadow 2, Stock 2, and Q5 Steel Frame. The CZ and Tanfo had LOK palm swells and the Walther has the stock grip. The CZ was by far the smallest grip and the Walther feels a little fatter than the Tanfo. I have small-medium hands and to me the CZ and Tanfo felt much better shooting. I think you could probably make any of the three work between LOK and Patriot Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
This weekend we had a Shadow 2, Stock 2, and Q5 Steel Frame. The CZ and Tanfo had LOK palm swells and the Walther has the stock grip. The CZ was by far the smallest grip and the Walther feels a little fatter than the Tanfo. I have small-medium hands and to me the CZ and Tanfo felt much better shooting. I think you could probably make any of the three work between LOK and Patriot Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CZ grip is skinnier and shorter front to back than the Walther Steel Frame but it is taller. The Walther feels like a fat Glock 19 frame instead of a Glock 17 length frame.

The CZ grip is shorter front to back than the Stock 2/3 grips.

I believe this Hogue grip is the fattest one that is made for a CZ.

824cb23871aea1c67d59b3a199329c12.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have XL hands and have always preferred large grips.  Even with LOK custom grips, I could not make the SP-01 it work for me.   I presume due to shortness of the frame.  I will say LOK was awesome with working to try to find a combo that worked for me.  I don't like the angle at the top of the Shadow II.   I ended up with a Stock II and adding silicon carbide to aftermarket grips.  Finally, I have found something works well for me.  Obviously, YMMV

I´ve put 2 big layers of double-sided adhesive tape to the backside of my shadow, finished with a layer of talon griptape. With LOK Palm swells, i think its pretty ok now. The Problem has always been the very small sized grip messured front to back.  

Some day i will try out a Stock2/3.