Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size mags and why?

tthrower

I start with a 170 and reload to a 140.  I have two 140’s on my belt mainly in case I screw up a reload.  

I have one 155 that I am trying out.  So far I like the 155. 

Edited by Aric

Personal preference...

I reload 140s much more consistently.

I carry 1-170 on magnet as a starter and 1-170 on my back Incase my starter mag fails and carry 2 140s for reloads/backup.

My 170s hold 28+1 maaaybe 29+1 not reloadable.

Usually works out fine, but last week another guy (higher ranked than me) shot a stage with a 30 rounder without a reload and beat me by half a second!

I need to figure out how to do that.

I normally have about 10 mags in my bag. 170mm in my front pouch. If I'm planning a load, a 170mm in the second pouch otherwise it may be a 155 or 140. Normally start with 140 or 155 in the gun unless I'm shooting to more than 24 rounds or so. 

The point is, have plenty mags, learn what you prefer, but always be ready to do what fits the stage best. 

If I have a single problem that could possibly be mag related it's done for the day. Having at least two 170's is the bare minimum to get started with open. 

My personal setup: 2 x 170mm, 3 x 140 mm.

Start (usually) with 170 mm in the gun. Reload from any of the three 140 mm in first three mag pouches (reloads with short sticks are easier), and then a 170mm reload in the last pouch just in case.

170mm reloads are different enough to require training imho.

I use MBX 170s and 155s.  I also use two STI gen2 21 rounders for classifiers with a mandatory mag change, or any time I will have to drop a mag in dust or mud.   I'll start with whichever makes the most sense.  However, when I was running 170 and 140, for some reason I always started with the 170.

I’ve been using 2 170 and 2 140. Have 2 155 on the way. The 155 are easier for me to reload. The stage will determine what you start with and what you will reload to and it’s nice to have options. 

Total I have 2 170s, and 3 140s. I’d like to add 1 155 to my tool box for when it would be benifical. On my belt I have 2 140s, and 1 170 in the back pouch Incase something happens very early on with ny starting 170 and I have to drop it. I typically always start with the 170, and reload to the 140. The 170 I use in matches holds 30, my other 29. (Both MBX), the140s I reload to hold 24-25 ( all sti gen 2). 

7 hours ago, B_RAD said:

170's for start. I like 155's for reloads. 140's are fine too but why not go 155's if you're buying new mags?  You get them seated sooner and they carry more ammo. 

How many can you fit in the 155's?

When I started about a decade ago, I couldn't believe I was going to have 20+1 in my gun  :)  

I came from a BHP which had only 15+1 to start.    I was overjoyed to have 21.

I ordered 1 - 170 and 3 - 140's, but the 170 never worked.   So, I shot with

the 3- 140's for six months until I got the 170 working (this was before I ever

heard of BE).

When I got my 170 (and I bought a few more), I'd start with a 170 in the gun

(29 + 1) and have two or three 140's on my belt …   I could reload 140's much

more dependably (is that a word?) than the 170.

Ended up with 3 - 170's and 7 - 140's (can't have too many).  BUT, all you NEED 

is 2 mags, usually (two 140's will get the job done).

Now, I'm going to get a 155 and try that - might stick with all 155's (they

didn't have them a decade ago).    :( 

Except for monster matches, you will never need more than two mags on a stage.  So the minimum you should carry on your belt is three.  You may accidentally drop a mag or fumble a reload.  So you need the insurance.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

Except for monster matches, you will never need more than two mags on a stage.  So the minimum you should carry on your belt is three.  You may accidentally drop a mag or fumble a reload.  So you need the insurance.

This! I carry three extra on my belt as I had a once in a lifetime reload fumble session while running to a position and lost two mags and couldn’t finish stage. The weight of (3) 140 is nothing on my frame. 

3 hours ago, zzt said:

I carry 3 on my belt - reload, spare for fumble, and spare for basepad failure (which only happened once - but at a Level II.  Reloaded, fired 4 shots, basepad flew off, ammo 'sploded downward, quick reload, re-engage...)

Typical start with a big stick and 3 140s on my belt. Some stages will require a q

140 start and a reload to the big stick. I always have 2 170s and 4 140s in my range bag, plus extra parts. I have shot with guys who only run 170s...

I start with a 170 and reload to two 140s on the belt. i just recently bought a 155 that Im working into the rotation. I bought another mag holder and put it on the belt in front kinda as a cross draw. Practice will hopefully make it better,,,,I have a magnet in front of the two holders on the left for empty/unload mags. That's ended up being a best purchase for me, so handy.

I have 2 170's & 5 140's in my bag. I always reload with a 140. Just what I practiced and have always stuck with. If I'm going to have to RL I would rather start with a 140. Defiantly stage dependant though. 

If I were starting over in open tomorrow though I would be purchasing a few 155's. Seem like a great compromise. Naturally if a 170 makes it with no RL your golden. ( See PCC hate rants.). Loading to a 170 just isn't for me. 

Switching to open for the first time I would get 2 170's & 2 155's at a minimum.