Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA matches in South Texas

Can someone in the South Texas area point me in the right direction for matches in March and early April?  I went on Practiscore but there wasn't a lot listed.  I am going to be in the area for a spell and would like to shoot while I am there.  Thanks in advance. 

Edit- Corpus, San Antonio, Mcallen, Brownsville.

1 hour ago, Jlr99 said:

Can someone in the South Texas area point me in the right direction for matches in March and early April?  I went on Practiscore but there wasn't a lot listed.  I am going to be in the area for a spell and would like to shoot while I am there.  Thanks in advance. 

Please clarify with a specific city or county so we can answer. Texas is a big state so you could be talking 6 hours from the border and still being "South Texas"
Brazosland Pistoleros USPSA - 3rd Sunday USPSA in Navasota, TX
https://www.facebook.com/brazoslandpistoleros/
https://practiscore.com/clubs/brazosland-pistoleros

Austin has USPSA the first Saturday of every month.

Houston has a USPSA match the second Saturday of every month. Houston has various weekday things I think as well.

Temple has one the third Saturday of every month.

San Antonio has Sunday uspsa matches with Alpha Mike and River City shooters.

Thanks for the replies. Houston and Austin are probably too far. I will be deep in the valley. I am just looking for as many options as I can to be able to compete a few times while I am there.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Jlr99 said:

Anything within an hour or so of Mcallen?

Just what you see for Corpus Christi on practiscore, none of it uspsa.

Looking at the map of matches on Practiscore Mcallen just has 22, precision rifle and steel stuff.

If you want to shoot uspsa you're going to have to drive to San Antonio and that's well outside of your hour time limit.

Edited by rowdyb

11 minutes ago, Jlr99 said:

I appreciate the response. I have checked Practiscore a bunch. Oh well. And I thought Texas was a gun state!

It is, but it’s also a huge state isn’t it?

24 minutes ago, Jlr99 said:

I appreciate the response. I have checked Practiscore a bunch. Oh well. And I thought Texas was a gun state!

I thought the same thing when I moved here. It is a gun state for sure. It is not a hotbed of uspsa competition. Guns and gun ownership are very popular and you're not a weirdo to most people for being a gun person. On the flip side, the "outlaw" is also kind of strong in Texas and no one is gonna tell them how to run a match. So that is why I think I see so many made up/local/not by the rules/regional flavor matches.

Conflating love of guns with a love of organized competition can lead to disappointment. Especially if you don't live in the big three, DFW, Houston or San Antonio. Out in the stick? Forget it.. (And I still wouldn't go back to southern CA!!)

Edited by rowdyb

What you said makes sense. I am not against shooting something local or unsanctioned in the area if anyone knows of some shoots. Be happy to get any trigger time really. Again, thanks for the response.

When I was in Brownsville last month a neighbor of my daughter told me they shot matches at 

South Texas Tactical

2100 Village Center Dr (326.12 mi)
Brownsville, Texas 78526
Highlights info row image
(956) 350-2047

Its an indoor range and I do  not know what rules they shoot under.  He said it was a monthly match.  Maybe worth a call.

He also mentioned another club north of Brownsville that shot matches but other than it is an outdoor range, I don't remember he saying much.

Edit: Checked the South Texas Tactical Facebook page and it looks like they shoot a weekly USPSA match.  Its a little over an hour from McAllen.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I was born and raised in Texas surrounded by family and friends that are gun enthusiasts, mostly hunters and defensive carriers. Up until 6-7 years ago, I (nor anyone I know) had never heard of games like USPSA or IDPA or Steel Challenge.

Coastal Bend Shooters (CBS) has a monthly USPSA and Steel Challenge match in Corpus.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/coastal-bend-shooters-gc08/matches

I believe there is a USPSA club or two in the valley but have not shot there.

Try

Pharr Action Shooters Club - Edinburg, TX
https://pharrgunclub.org/events/

South Texas Tactical - Brownsville, TX

Friday night matches at Brownsville indoor range South Texas Tactical. "VRS" is their practiscore club I believe. 

Weeknight matches at the Edingburg shooting range Coyote Arms

They post updates and matches on a calendar every month, Texas Competitive Shooters. I shot each of these matches when I stayed in McAllen for a week. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142207869321238/

• 1 month later...

I know this is probably a little late for the OP but, last year in the summer there was a Tuesday night Steel Challenge match at ARC. Hopefully they run it again this summer as well.  texasipsc.net is a good mailing list for matches from Temple, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus.