Dazhi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CZ85Combat said:

How many rounds have you reloaded with your set up?  You do know that the MBF powder funnel  wears out.

Mine hasn't but I've only loaded 200K+ on the MBF powder funnel. When did yours wear out?

On 1/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, Dazhi said:

If I just gently place them by hands, they fall off the case when the shell plate rotates.  If I push a little bit into the case, they won't budge at all.  I remember previously these bullets are stuck into the case pretty hard.  The only thing I did recently was to take apart the whole press including the MBF dropper to clean it.  After I put everything back together, MBF starts to have this problem.  I suspect there is a setting on the MBF dropper tube somewhere to make the dropper push the bullets down harder.  Just not sure what I did when I originally set it up 3 years ago.  Maybe the 3 steel balls should go to the upper holes vs. the lower holes I now use?  Maybe the aluminum tube should be lowered further towards the shell plate?

Yes upper holes. The instructions say upper holes for all but the shortest bullets as it let's the stack fall a little further and tap the bullet down more.

I had the same problem with my new MBF only my bell was way less that what yours is. It set the bullet in the case about 90% of the time. I kept increasing the bell slightly and lowering the MBF die until it put them in 99% of the time. Still not near as much bell as yours. Steel balls are in the upper holes.

gerritm

A spring, rubber band, or the like will not seat bullets better, the dropper die can't push a bullet into the case. The only thing pushing the bullet in the case is the weight of the column of dropping bullets. You should use the top holes for the balls and top groove for the clip. The bullets fall farther and tamp little harder. 

I switched to upper holes. Dialed back the flare to minimium. Now it's worse. Every bullet is falling compared to 1 out of 10 previously.

Ordered the anti vibration pin and waiting for it to arrive.

b3a557b0c8cc05efc2fb0dee4d4bf4e6.jpg

Sent from my LG-h910 using Tapatalk

Well , for starters you need to use one of the many mods that stop the shell plate from snapping into place. The bullet seems fine until that sudden jerk at the end. 

Try indexing while holding your finger on the case as it moves.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:58 AM, HesedTech said:

The OP is using a 650. Even at 900 RPH with a M7 auto drive on my 650 I didn't have a bullet tipping over problem. But, with 650s there's a whole lot of aftermarket options to help make the press smoother as it indexes.

Look at his bell and brass expansion, the bullets really have nothing to sit in and support them.

You can still try the zip ties on a 650, there is nothing to lose.

On 1/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, Dazhi said:

Yes, have been using the MBF expander die (e.g. powder funnel) since the beginning. 

I have always loaded this 147gr 9mm coated bullets with groove since the beginning.  Appox 80k loaded so far.

So this setup worked fine for 80k and then all of a sudden it doesn't? Right?

Exact same bullets. Didn't change any die settings. Nothing is different.

But... all of a sudden you started having the problem.

Is that the situation?

I did replace the steel index ball and spring under the shell plate when I took apart the press for cleaning/lube. This is an annual thi g though, I have done this without issues before.

All dillon parts, because everytime I call dillon for broken parts, the first question they ask me is if I run after market parts... They asked me to not use any aftermarket parts.

44 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I did replace the steel index ball and spring under the shell plate when I took apart the press for cleaning/lube. This is an annual thi g though, I have done this without issues before.

All dillon parts, because everytime I call dillon for broken parts, the first question they ask me is if I run after market parts... They asked me to not use any aftermarket parts.

Dude, (may I call you dude?) I have called and emailed Dillon several times and they never once asked if I was running any aftermarket stuff on my 650. I'd guess 90% of Dillon users use some kind of mod on their press. Since you fiddled with the plate recently I would first just try tightening the plate bolt a smidge. A very small adjustment goes a long way on the press. I run the basic bearing kit with only one washer on top. This allows me to tighten the plate to where it takes some effort to spin it by hand. It slides right into place when I push the handle forward. I think nearly EVERYBODY has done some kind of mod to lessen the snap in the 650 shell plate.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Dude, (may I call you dude?) I have called and emailed Dillon several times and they never once asked if I was running any aftermarket stuff on my 650. I'd guess 90% of Dillon users use some kind of mod on their press. Since you fiddled with the plate recently I would first just try tightening the plate bolt a smidge. A very small adjustment goes a long way on the press. I run the basic bearing kit with only one washer on top. This allows me to tighten the plate to where it takes some effort to spin it by hand. It slides right into place when I push the handle forward. I think nearly EVERYBODY has done some kind of mod to lessen the snap in the 650 shell plate.

I used to have the plastic index ball, the roller things for the indexer and case feeding rod.  Dillon asked me to move back to original parts else it voids warranty.  I think they started asking me these after last year Federal primers exploded due to a side way primer, and Dillon sent me the whole primer assembly.  They have notes on each account.  They ask you if you previously let them know you have an aftermarket part.  They will continue ask you until you tell them you have taken off the aftermarket part and put the Dillon parts back on.  

I suppose if you never told them before, you won't know and they will not ask.  For me, that explosion was the reason they asked me all the aftermarket parts I had.  And I told them all. 

4 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I suppose if you never told them before, you won't know and they will not ask.  For me, that explosion was the reason they asked me all the aftermarket parts I had.  And I told them all. 

Don't tell them.  Especially since no aftermarket part to stop shell plate snap is going to cause a problem. It actually puts less stress on the machine I think. Just like I don't think any of the parts you had on the press caused the primer boom.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, Dazhi said:

I used to have the plastic index ball, the roller things for the indexer and case feeding rod.  Dillon asked me to move back to original parts else it voids warranty.  I think they started asking me these after last year Federal primers exploded due to a side way primer, and Dillon sent me the whole primer assembly.  They have notes on each account.  They ask you if you previously let them know you have an aftermarket part.  They will continue ask you until you tell them you have taken off the aftermarket part and put the Dillon parts back on.  

OK then, give this a try...

Cut a coil off the Dillon spring and try that, all Dillon parts👍

Still happening, cut off another coil.

If that messes up the index put back in the spring you took out at the service, before you had this problem, ... still all Dillon parts.

😀

Edited by Kenstone

10 minutes ago, Kenstone said:

OK then, give this a try...

Cut a coil off the Dillon spring and try that, all Dillon parts👍

Still happening, cut off another coil.

If that messes up the index put the spring you took at service, before you had this problem, back in... still all Dillon parts.

😀

👍👍👍

To be honest I’ve never had this issue with the MBF and the associated powder funnel. In looking at your current bell it is just about right according to all the info out there. 

A couple of things:

Your bullets are .356

Measure the powder funnel prior to the belling step. If its .356 or less then there’s an issue with the funnel.

I have two MBF Funnels and they both measure .357 in the case expander portion prior to the belling step.

I did a couple things that seem to help:

1. Cut 1 coil off the dillon index ball spring

2. Reorganized and reoriented the tube spring and wire on top of the MBF dropper so that the dropper is mostly vertical (instead of tilt by some degrees)

Now I am back to about 1 out of 10 tilt bullets.  No more tipped over bullets every time.   I am really looking forward to the Reloading Innovations "Spill Stop" pins.  From the product description and review, that seems to be the ultimate fix.  

Zip tie on 650?  I don't think there are the notches on the platform to place the zip ties on 650. 

Just went and did a trial run with .356 ACME 147 FP,  MBF set for slight bell, perfect drop no tilts at all.

The pre-bell expansion should be .357 with the MBF so .356 bullets should be just fine. I’m now thinking maybe you bullets are closer to .358, assuming you funnel is the right size. 

22 hours ago, Dazhi said:

I did a couple things that seem to help:

1. Cut 1 coil off the dillon index ball spring

2. Reorganized and reoriented the tube spring and wire on top of the MBF dropper so that the dropper is mostly vertical (instead of tilt by some degrees)

Now I am back to about 1 out of 10 tilt bullets.  No more tipped over bullets every time.   I am really looking forward to the Reloading Innovations "Spill Stop" pins.  From the product description and review, that seems to be the ultimate fix.  

Zip tie on 650?  I don't think there are the notches on the platform to place the zip ties on 650. 

Don't tell Dillon about those "Spill Stop" pins 🤐

And remember Dillon lurks here too 😲

Watch what you post,

😀