Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

safety on/safety off for competition?

Max It

HI Ya,

I have tried to use my new Beretta 92FS in a few steel matches. However after 10 years of using  a Springfield XD9 I find it real difficult to start with the safety on as the range officer requested. Is that necessary? Or am I legit to start hammer down in double action mode?

much obliged,

Max

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, Max It said:

HI Ya,

I have tried to use my new Beretta 92FS in a few steel matches. However after 10 years of using  a Springfield XD9 I find it real difficult to start with the safety on as the range officer requested. Is that necessary? Or am I legit to start hammer down in double action mode?

much obliged,

Max

Hammer down is required for Production in SCSA. I'm an RO.

Edited by Jeff O

On 3/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, Demus319 said:

I shoot Steel Challenge and it’s hammer down safety off. 

Not for Limited.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:53 AM, RJH said:

Yep gonna depend on the match rules. Uspsa hammer down safety off is fine. But other rule sets, who knows 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, Solairefastora said:

If it’s that big of a deal, Im pretty sure putting in a G model conversion voids the need to start safety on(for obvious reasons).

This ^^^ is the answer you seek. It takes ridiculous rules about thumb safeties, made by people with no idea what they're talking about out of the equation.

Also makes the gun much nicer, and is how Beretta should have made the gun in the first place in my opinion. While these guns don't jam much, when they do, you stand a good chance of decocking  the gun and engaging the safety when you clear any jam you may have. Making it a G model (decocker only, no safety function on the decocker lever) eliminates this possibility. You may find yourself in DA mode, but all you have to do to clear that is pull the trigger.

Edited by robertg5322

19 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

This ^^^ is the answer you seek. It takes ridiculous rules about thumb safeties, made by people with no idea what they're talking about out of the equation.

Also makes the gun much nicer, and is how Beretta should have made the gun in the first place in my opinion. While these guns don't jam much, when they do, you stand a good chance of decocking  the gun and engaging the safety when you clear any jam you may have. Making it a G model (decocker only, no safety function on the decocker lever) eliminates this possibility. You may find yourself in DA mode, but all you have to do to clear that is pull the trigger.

I dont think thats allowed

from appendix D4

Disabling of any external safety or

externally operated safety

External and externally operated safety

mechanisms must remain operable.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

For purposes of this clause, a “trigger safety” is

externally visible, and must

remain operable.

For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on

“disabling” means that you may NOT modify an

external safety mechanism in any way that

affects its function as a safety per the OFM

design.

1 hour ago, 18111811 said:

I dont think thats allowed

from appendix D4

Disabling of any external safety or

externally operated safety

External and externally operated safety

mechanisms must remain operable.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

For purposes of this clause, a “trigger safety” is

externally visible, and must

remain operable.

For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on

“disabling” means that you may NOT modify an

external safety mechanism in any way that

affects its function as a safety per the OFM

design.

It is allowed, specifically asked and answered a couple if years ago in the USPSA magazine. You're simply using factory parts to put the gun in the condition of a G model factory gun. It's as legal as an actual G model gun.

17 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

It is allowed, specifically asked and answered a couple if years ago in the USPSA magazine. You're simply using factory parts to put the gun in the condition of a G model factory gun. It's as legal as an actual G model gun.

Can you tell me what month the magazine was as a reference?  The range master at a level 2 last fall gave me that info.

8 minutes ago, 18111811 said:

Can you tell me what month the magazine was as a reference?  The range master at a level 2 last fall gave me that info.

I cannot, but I can direct you to this  thread on this site which includes an e mail from Troy McManus specifically stating that the conversion is simply using OEM parts to make an FS a G model. Scroll to the second to last post. 

Still looking for something official from the USPSA or NROI website.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, 18111811 said:

This from Troy McManus, HMFIC @ NROI.

My inquiry: 

I remember reading a few years ago either in the magazine or on the NROI site that the G conversion for Beretta pistols was legal, as it was essentially using factory parts to convert an FS pistol (decocker/safety) to a G (decocker only). I can't find anything official on this, and can't remember the details of where I read that it was an approved modification.

Second to last post on Brianenos.com post here has a caption of an e mail from Troy McManus stating this, but I could find nothing else corroborating this.

Is there any documentation for this decision?

Thanks.

Response:

Troy McManus <rules@uspsa.org>

3:49 PM (15 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me, support
cleardot.gif
It's in the rulebook.  Small parts, internal parts, etc., can be swapped providing that the swap doesn't render the gun ineligible for the division.

Troy

Troy McManus
Director, National Range Officers Institute
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery".  Thomas Jefferson
Audemus jura nostra defendere