Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Shooters Not Using Bullseye And W-231?

nvmichael

It looks like most shooters are not using Bullseye and W-231. Too dirty I hear.

I've always used these powders and I have to agree. I need a new powder!

I've been thinking about Bowling Pin Shooting.

My gun is a 1911 and my bullet is a 200gr LSWC.

So what are you using in your 45ACP.

Thanks

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I still use Bullseye for my 45 acp loads. 230 gr flat point over 4.9 gr bullseye takes the pins off nicely. 200 -230 gr over 4.5 gr bullseye for the rest of my 45 needs. Most of the 45 work is with cast bullets, and it really does not matter how clean the powder is. I also shoot some black powder in 45-70 and you don't know dirty till you have done that.

Nothing wrong with Bullseye in 45.

somewhere around 4.8 - 5.1 under 200 Gr. bullets makes major most of the time.

somewhere around 4.0 - 4.4 under 230 Gr. bullets also makes major most of the time.

Depends on the bullet.

Bullseye is user friendly and won't get spooky without warning.

Accurate and feels good too.

The dirt isn't really all that bad to deal with,

Compared to the performance .

Try some Hodgdon LONGSHOT for your pin loads if you really want to push the power to the Max.

Travis F.

Pins fly best when hit with heavy bullets; in. 45 ACP I used to use lead 255s @ about 800 FPS w/ the data you can find on Page 672 of the current Lee Reloading manual (second edition) : data is for "260 grain bullet/ HP-38 Powder"). HP38 is nearly the same if not identical to W231.

Why different powders in IPSC/USPSA?? A pin match might be 4 or 5 runs X 5 pins (25 rounds) where as a USPSA match (around here) is at least 70 rounds indoors; 120 outdoors & up to 350 at a big match. Gun has to be 100% reliable & there are cleaner powders than Bullseye & 231/HP-38.

My USPSA load was a TMJ'd 200 grn .45 ACP bullet loaded over 4.5 grns of straight Clays. A decent Pin load would be a 230 TMJ or FMJ over 4.0 grns of straight Clays at 1.260"

D.C. Johnson

I am using 5.0 of VV N320 and it lets two different S&W 625s and two two different Para P-14s make major for USPSA. Not sure what you need for pins but I really like this powder. I also use Montana Gold FMJ so it keeps my gun really clean. Hope this helps....John DVC

Sounds like Clays is the one. I'm going to buy a can today and try it.

Also I've been looking at Accurate #5 for pins to replace my Unique. I've been hearing lots of good things aboutAccurate #5. My problem is all my powders are old, 25 years or older and I know there are newer powders that are the same or better. I love my Bullseye but I want a clean gun at the end of the day. So I gotta move into the new century. Besides it will give me an excuse to go buy new stuff.

I've actually started using 231 again. I had 4 or 5 pounds and wanted a nice light minor load for my Sig 229 in 40. I'm loading 4.0 gr of 231 behind a 180 gr West Coast Plated RNFP. I still have a few thousand of these and am intending to use them up then switch to Bear Creeks when I'm out. It comes in at about 135 pf and they are nice to shoot. Dirty? I don't really notice a difference. I'm beginnng to think that powder is powder in certain loads and just burn whatever I have if accuracy is there. I know that everyone likes a clean gun after shooting it and I'm as lazy as the next guy, but it seems to work well for me.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like Clays is the one. I'm going to buy a can today and try it.

Also I've been looking at Accurate #5 for pins to replace my Unique. I've been hearing lots of good things aboutAccurate #5. My problem is all my powders are old, 25 years or older and I know there are newer powders that are the same or better. I love my Bullseye but I want a clean gun at the end of the day. So I gotta move into the new century. Besides it will give me an excuse to go buy new stuff.

You might want to try the new Unique. It's much cleaner than the old version, uses the same data, and will get you the velocities you're looking for.

I've had lousy results with AA#5. It's dirty and the published data gives low velocities. Others have had the same results, but some folks like it anyway.

I use 4.8 grains of Bullseye with 230 RNLs and get 800+ fps and fairly clean burning.

I tried that Unique stuff and it was the filthiest, dirtyiest, smokiest powder ever. I do not know how they get away with calling it "smokeless". Plus it smelled bad. I will never ever let that stuff anywhere near any gun I own ever again.

I think there are more modern powders that perform better for less money.