Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy potential - MG CMJ vs JHP

racer-x

• 3 weeks later...

I repeated my previous baseline & tests with a different gun today.

My standard load  (MG 115 JHP's loaded to 1.165 with 10.8 AA7 & CCI500) shot ragged hole groups at 25 yards over and over.

MG 115 JHP @ 1.165 OAL - 1/4" groups

MG 115 CMJ @ 1.165 OAL - 3/5 in 10" target

MG 124 CMJ @ 1.165 OAL - 3/5 in 10" target

MG 124 CMJ @ 1.200 OAL - 8" -10" groups

MG 121 IFP @ 1.165 OAL - 2.5-3" groups

and again:

MG 115 JHP @ 1.165 OAL - 1/4" group

JHP plunks & spins out to 1.205 OAL (1.205 - 1.165OAL=.04)
CMJ plunks & spins out to 1.270 OAL (1.270 - 1.165OAL=.105)

Since the longer 1.200 124's were more accurate than the 1.165 loads, my freebore theory seems like a big factor.

Problem is I can't load the CMJ's in a 9MM out to 1.230 in this barrel to have the same freebore as the JHP's.

Lots of testing and I'm right back where I started - JHP's rule in my 9 major open guns.

I tested a few bullets last weekend. Everglades 124g JHPs, with those the accuracy was great. Then second and third was s tie between Berry’s 124g plated rn and 124g blue bullets. They were pretty accurate, nothing to complain about for practical shooting. Definitely not bullseye accurate though. Then last was the 115g Montana gold CMJ. Accuracy was poor to say the least. 6 or so inches from a rest at 15 yards. It may have even been worse then that. It was bad. Montana gold puts our quality bullet, so idk why these were so bad. 

19 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

I tested a few bullets last weekend. Everglades 124g JHPs, with those the accuracy was great. Then second and third was s tie between Berry’s 124g plated rn and 124g blue bullets. They were pretty accurate, nothing to complain about for practical shooting. Definitely not bullseye accurate though. Then last was the 115g Montana gold CMJ. Accuracy was poor to say the least. 6 or so inches from a rest at 15 yards. It may have even been worse then that. It was bad. Montana gold puts our quality bullet, so idk why these were so bad. 

Because you have to at least try to work up loads with each bullet you try. I can make any bullet less accurate by changing oal crimp charge etc. once you try several different loads then you will know what the most accurate load is in a particular gun. And you will be able to determine if a bullet truly sucks in the gun. 

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Because you have to at least try to work up loads with each bullet you try. I can make any bullet less accurate by changing oal crimp charge etc. once you try several different loads then you will know what the most accurate load is in a particular gun. And you will be able to determine if a bullet truly sucks in the gun. 

Agreed. I'm not saying the MG CMJ's aren't capable of being accurate. MG knows how to make a high quality and consistent bullet.

I expect that I could work up an accurate load with these in a gun with a more conventional throat profile (i.e. a barrel that wasn't throat reamed to chamber long 9 major loads)

I am saying that they are not an option for me with any of 9 major open guns (barrels throated).

Also, I did experiment with crimp on these CMJ's with no difference in performance.

I seat & crimp a bullet and then measure the crimp ring left on the bullet. My experience is that this crimp ring measuring .001-003" less than the bullet diameter is optimal and accompanies a completely straight case mouth (no bell or crimp). I first tested with my normal .002" crimp ring and then backed off to no measurable/visible crimp ring (very slight case mouth belling). No difference in accuracy, but not what I would load either since the slight bell on case is problematic.

The corncob was 'pre-installed' from Montana Gold :)

On 1/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, racer-x said:

My last 4 cases of MG JHP's were full of corn cob straight from MG.

Tiny little pieces that hide in the HP and have made it into my gun if I don't pick it out. Worst case was when it got into trigger and blocked trigger from moving enough to break shot. I pick it out now.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Load development was done. Montana gold shot like s#!t. Plain and simple. Please don’t try and explain to me that I don’t know how to work up loads. This is my gun and my barrel. They make good bullets that I’m sure work great for tons of other people. But not in this particular gun. And that’s how specific barrels and loads work. Good for some, bad for others. Hell they shot pretty damn good in my S3F barreled Glock. But not in my trubor barrel. 

I've been told the usual reason a jhp is more accurate than a fmj is the process of swaging the jhp eliminates voids in the base and trues it up.

A square base being necessary for optimum accuracy.

I take it you tumble the loaded rounds, if so maybe try a media or case cleaner that doesn't use corn cobs.  Try walnuts or maybe a sonic cleaner?

Been there, done that...

I think cmjs don't fly true because of the process of pressing the bottom piece of copper into the base, maybe...

At any rate, I tried jhp, cmj, and fmj MG bullets and came away with the same conclusion; JHPs are more accurate...then fmj, and cmj were last...

Edited by RiggerJJ

On 2/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, TimBoettcher said:

I’ve tried many different bullets but Montana Gold JHP seem to be every bit as accurate as Sierra JHP I’m my gun. 10 rounds .525” at 25 yards.... 115 JHP MG

EF46336C-705A-43E2-B88F-9E0EC5E712F3.jpeg

Ya'll are getting awesome groups.  Half inch is insanely awesome.

Was this out of an Open gun?

MGs JHPs in 9mm have been very accurate, for me, out of multiple platforms (Glock, CZ, 1911).

Just tried a sample bag of 165gr JHPs in my 10mm and wow, got insane accuracy. Really impressed.

The problem is I have like 10k of 180gr FP/RNFP bullets that I now need to figure out what to do with (they shoot great out of the Glock, but I don't shoot my Glock 10mm much)