Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic Ready CZ Shadow 2

MsDV8

5 hours ago, shakin_bakin said:

So, as I see it. You have to loose the difference in weight of a mag and an optic and a plate...

17 round mecgar mag, nickel plated. grams spring and follower. hennings basepad. 3.90 ounces.

Venom is a fairly light optic, I believe its .8oz... so that's 4.7oz's not counting the plate... You could always try and use the lightest mags/followers you can find.  That's a lot of weight to loose from bolt on parts. I dont see it happening without some kind of lightening of the slide.

Yeah, I don’t think shooting the CZ Shadow with or without an optic is going to be happening for me with IDPA, but I am looking forward to receiving the CZ P10F OR which will be my IDPA carry optic pistol. 

I’m sure you guys’ll be seeing them start to materialize down in your neck of the woods this year.  They can’t seem to keep them in stock anywhere in Canada, it’s crazy how popular they are. 

11 hours ago, MsDV8 said:

Yeah, I don’t think shooting the CZ Shadow with or without an optic is going to be happening for me with IDPA, but I am looking forward to receiving the CZ P10F OR which will be my IDPA carry optic pistol. 

I’m sure you guys’ll be seeing them start to materialize down in your neck of the woods this year.  They can’t seem to keep them in stock anywhere in Canada, it’s crazy how popular they are. 

Can you not lighten the inside of the slide? Or get lightening cuts?

Brain Fart central

So people that are going to be shooting the S2 with a Vortex Venom optic take note.  DO NOT throw away the bolts in the bag with a sticker that says GLOCK MOS.  You’ll need these smaller bolts to attach the optic to the adapter plate.  The adapter plate will not take the Torx 10 bolts that the optic comes with and is meant to be secured with.  All I saw was GLOCK and the first thought that crossed my mind was a picture of icicles and a normally fiery place one might want to avoid.

Edited by MsDV8

4 hours ago, vrwm said:

I can’t wait to see all the 

Optic ready CZs more readily available in the states. Is the weight with or without a magazine? I feel like I had to jump hoops to make 45oz. If I’m not mistaken IPSC doesn’t have weight for their carry optics. 

3 hours ago, MsDV8 said:

It’s been that kind of a week.  

With a mag 2lb-14.7oz or 1.7oz too heavy for IDPA.

IPSC does not have weight restrictions, thankfully.  I guess the thing with IDPA’s premise of conceal carry, does someone realistically want to be schlepping around nearly 3 pounds all day long?  So maybe that’s why they cap it.

I looked online and there is nothing available in the US yet, unless you’re some kind of fortunate gun reviewer.  I don’t think the regular S2’s are available at all in California.  Not on the approved list.

Edited by MsDV8

Yes I had to get specific screws to mount my venom onto the plate from the CZC shop. Stock bolts were too short.

I'll have to check under the Styrofoam to see if I even have that Glock MOS packet

FYI I also needed a shim to get the back of the optic to come up a bit, I  out of elevation adjustment. with the shim on this now it's dead on at 35 feet.

isn't it great though now that it's on there.I love mine 6MOA target acquisition is so quick. I have had to do only very minor re-zero even after shooting 3000 rounds with it on there. It's holds zero quite well  :)

Edited by kmanick

2 hours ago, kmanick said:

Yes I had to get specific screws to mount my venom onto the plate from the CZC shop. Stock bolts were too short.

I'll have to check under the Styrofoam to see if I even have that Glock MOS packet

FYI I also needed a shim to get the back of the optic to come up a bit, I  out of elevation adjustment. with the shim on this now it's dead on at 35 feet.

isn't it great though now that it's on there.I love mine 6MOA target acquisition is so quick. I have had to do only very minor re-zero even after shooting 3000 rounds with it on there. It's holds zero quite well  :)

Thank you for the heads up on the elevation!  I’ll watch out for that.  I wonder if the CZ made baseplate will address that issue of elevation.  Hopefully.  The  bolts weren’t actually longer that I can recall, but they were definitely a smaller diameter than the bolts in the styrofoam.  I was tempted to toss them when I first saw the package because I don’t own any Glock products.  It sounds like your plate was milled to accept the larger 3.50 torx bolts though. How deep is your CZC plate?

not sure exactly, funny I just checked the boxes of both of my Venoms (a 3MOA and a 6MOA), the 6moa box does have the little GLOCK MOS baggie in it , the 3 does not.

Yes  3.5 sounds correct,  we can ask Stuart at CZC , I'm sure he knows

• 11 months later...

I shoot IPSC Production with my Shadow 2. Due my age I wear glass for reading (+1.25 dioptree) and when there is not enough light or the targets are too far, I have some bad results ...... as a consequences of not seeing well the front sight. I m thinking that shooting in Production Optics with Shadow 2 will solve this issues.

For this I will need a new pistol or only a new mounted plated. Here is prohibited milled the slide. So please tell me the diferences between the Shadow 2 Optical Ready and Shadow 2 regular with mounted plated for red dot. If I ll buy the Shadow OR will give me some notable benefits over my curent one with the new mounted plated?

Edited by Uomu

1 hour ago, Uomu said:

I shoot IPSC Production with my Shadow 2. Due my age I wear glass for reading (+1.25 dioptree) and when there is not enough light or the targets are too far, I have some bad results ...... as a consequences of not seeing well the front sight. I m thinking that shooting in Production Optics with Shadow 2 will solve this issues.

For this I will need a new pistol or only a new mounted plated. Here is prohibited milled the slide. So please tell me the diferences between the Shadow 2 Optical Ready and Shadow 2 regular with mounted plated for red dot. If I ll buy the Shadow OR will give me some notable benefits over my curent one with the new mounted plated?

Shadow2 optic ready with the factory plate will put the optic  lower on the slide. I like mine. Very sleek and solid.I use the Vortex Venom 6moa.

2 hours ago, Uomu said:

The CZ Shadow 2 Optic Ready has been a game changer for me and I notice a lot of my “older” shooting friends all are gravitating toward optics.  Which is great.  Like you I need to wear glasses, both for distance and reading, but I don’t wear bifocals for shooting.  I wear my glasses for seeing the targets in the distance and the glasses don’t affect seeing the dot of the optic at all.  When I first started shooting optics my speed dropped down significantly, but my accuracy improved dramatically.  My speed with the dot acquisition is starting to catch up now.  At one time I had two optic ready Shadow 2’s and one non-optic Shadow 2 and I ended up selling the non-optic because I just didn’t shoot it anymore.  I currently have one optic ready running a Trijicon SRO 5MOA and another running the Leupold DPP 7.5MOA. Plus my P09 got milled for an optic, which is running a Vortex Venom 6 MOA.  I love optics and would never go back to iron sights.  Younger shooters with good vision, don’t always understand how much our eyesight starts to affect us older shooters, especially in lower light conditions.  So, if you switch to the optic ready Shadow 2, you can ditch your reading glasses you won’t need them any longer.  I have a ton of videos on my Youtube Channel under the same same, on the optic ready Shadow 2 and my various optics.

After having two early generation Shadow 2s with dovetail plates, I got the Optics Ready version, which costs about 25% more than a new ordinary S2. Is the difference justified? Oh yes! I've been using a Vortex Venom sight, which was easy to install as the mounting plate came with the right screws enclosed. The proximity of the dot projection to the bore axis means correcting elevation for different ranges is much easier than for a dovetail mounted dot. Co-witnessing is a plus too. If I can nitpick the gun, the only thing that is not ideal is the scarcity of adapter plates for different optics (a CZ marketing decision, hopefully soon to be rectified by Toni System). As a side project to enjoying IPSC, I'm running my first Vortex Venom to find out its MTBF, using a stock recoil spring. Based on the result I'll either get an identical gun, or switch to SRO or another holy grail red dot (whose adapter plates I haven't been able to find yet). Should be interesting.

Thanks Hal, Cz and Lior for your detailed and friendlly answers. Yours answers conduct me to Shadow 2 OR. My actual Shadow 2 is a perfact machine ...about 10.000 rds through him and only very few stove piped malfunction inducted by my thumbs pressing on the slide. I hope OR will be the same as good as regular CZ.

I made these days a versus at the range: Cz Shadow 2 factory sights and Glock 17 gen5 mos, insight 3 moa.... for Bill drill, El Presidente, Mozambic, 25 yards acuracy, metal plates and some lateral, backwards, forwards movement between the covers. Red dot win for me only for accuracy and metal target without running betwen the targets. For the others, the Cz it was the winner. The reasaon should be that I have only 2.000 rds in one year through red dot vs 20 years of iron sights shooting and let said 100.000 rds. .... and last but nowt least that Shadow 2 is a better gun for competition than Glock (except for Robert Vogel). Glocks it is my all time CCW with waren tactical or ameriglo idot sigts..... due his body friendlly platform for wearing all day.

Edited by Uomu

6 hours ago, Lior said:

After having two early generation Shadow 2s with dovetail plates, I got the Optics Ready version, which costs about 25% more than a new ordinary S2. Is the difference justified? Oh yes! I've been using a Vortex Venom sight, which was easy to install as the mounting plate came with the right screws enclosed. The proximity of the dot projection to the bore axis means correcting elevation for different ranges is much easier than for a dovetail mounted dot. Co-witnessing is a plus too. If I can nitpick the gun, the only thing that is not ideal is the scarcity of adapter plates for different optics (a CZ marketing decision, hopefully soon to be rectified by Toni System). As a side project to enjoying IPSC, I'm running my first Vortex Venom to find out its MTBF, using a stock recoil spring. Based on the result I'll either get an identical gun, or switch to SRO or another holy grail red dot (whose adapter plates I haven't been able to find yet). Should be interesting.

Ouch!  25% more?  I picked one of mine up in Jan 2019 for $1199 CDN and the second one in September for $1149 CDN from Tenda Canada on sale.  My non-optic I pais $1249.  The early model S2 came with dove tail rear sight?    That’s a cool research project you’re undertaking with the optic.  The nice thing with Vortex is their no quibble like time warrenty.  Personally I hate the SRO and don’t enjoy shooting it as much as the DPP with the Delta reticle, but that’s just preference, the SRO is a bomber optic.   CGW had at one time created a multi-optic mounting plate, but no longer.  I think because the optic S2is too heavy for USPSA and has not been sold in the USA as of yet that I know of.  What recoil spring are you planning on using after your test?  I’ve got a 10lb progressive currently and a 9lb coming. 

1 hour ago, CZFanGrrl said:

Ouch!  25% more?  I picked one of mine up in Jan 2019 for $1199 CDN and the second one in September for $1149 CDN from Tenda Canada on sale.  My non-optic I pais $1249.  The early model S2 came with dove tail rear sight?    That’s a cool research project you’re undertaking with the optic.  The nice thing with Vortex is their no quibble like time warrenty.  Personally I hate the SRO and don’t enjoy shooting it as much as the DPP with the Delta reticle, but that’s just preference, the SRO is a bomber optic.   CGW had at one time created a multi-optic mounting plate, but no longer.  I think because the optic S2is too heavy for USPSA and has not been sold in the USA as of yet that I know of.  What recoil spring are you planning on using after your test?  I’ve got a 10lb progressive currently and a 9lb coming. 

Funny how people prefer different springs. i tested my S2 OR with Venom 6moa with 8-9-10-12-14# springs and a few clipped springs. I was surprised, 14# suits me best. Dot barely moves and settles perfectly for me. 147 grain bullet. Splits are about.20 at 15m with A hits.

Edited by hal1955

2 hours ago, hal1955 said:

Funny how people prefer different springs. i tested my S2 OR with Venom 6moa with 8-9-10-12-14# springs and a few clipped springs. I was surprised, 14# suits me best. Dot barely moves and settles perfectly for me. 147 grain bullet. Splits are about.20 at 15m with A hits.

I’m going to end up doing a full test on the various springs, this spring, it’s bloody cold right now.  I did some tests already with the CGW 10 vs stock and the gun settles quicker with the 10#, I have a video with 1” lines marked on a back board to show the difference.  What load are you running with your 147’s?  I’m using 231 3.5gn.  Are your older version S2’s showing any signs of frame cracking?  Mine did, warrentied for a new one.  The optic ready S2’s have been milled with a relief for the slide stop.

Edited by CZFanGrrl

4 hours ago, CZFanGrrl said:

What recoil spring are you planning on using after your test?  I’ve got a 10lb progressive currently and a 9lb coming. 

Previous broken red dots with 9lb recoil springs have not left me too adventurous with cheaper sights, so I'm sticking to the 14 lb factory recoil spring to max out red dot longevity with factory ammo (mostly S&B). 

15 minutes ago, Lior said:

Previous broken red dots with 9lb recoil springs have not left me too adventurous with cheaper sights, so I'm sticking to the 14 lb factory recoil spring to max out red dot longevity with factory ammo (mostly S&B). 

So I’m pretty new to “gunsmithing”, I can change out all the parts, but tuning the gun with the different springs is another matter and a lot of it for me is trial and error.  How does a 14# recoil spring affect what ammo you can run through it?  I use Federal Primers only in my loads because I choose to run an 8.5# main spring, but I didn’t think the recoil spring had anything to do with primer ignition.  I’m under the impression that the recoil spring in combination with the amount of powder you’re loading is what determines how the slide cycles.  Loading lower power loads for me has translated into less recoil, but is less recoil = to softer recoil?  For me, the less recoil meant slower recoil with reduced power loads (loads at the very low end of what will still cycle a slide).  This is the part I find most interesting, is the physics behind it all and will be doing some comprehensive testing this spring.  What would be considered a cheaper sight?  In my optic line up, I paid the least for a Venom, middle of the road for a Leupold and a lot for the SRO. 

1 hour ago, CZFanGrrl said:

I’m going to end up doing a full test on the various springs, this spring, it’s bloody cold right now.  I did some tests already with the CGW 10 vs stock and the gun settles quicker with the 10#, I have a video with 1” lines marked on a back board to show the difference.  What load are you running with your 147’s?  I’m using 231 3.5gn.  Are your older version S2’s showing any signs of frame cracking?  Mine did, warrentied for a new one.  The optic ready S2’s have been milled with a relief for the slide stop.

I shot S1 for 15ish years. This is my first S2. Bought at Tenda in Sept.when they were on sale for $1140. No problems ever with either except for shot out barrels in S1. Off the top of my head I use 3.7 VV320 seated as long as possible with the plunk test @ 880 fps. I don’t care really about dot jump, what I care about is how stable is the dot when it comes back.No bounce or jiggle. I can get 15-17 splits with a lighter spring but i am happy with 20 cuz the dot is so stable at 20. Brass lands about 6 feet away. I use the factory supplied shock buffs.

6 hours ago, CZFanGrrl said:

I’m under the impression that the recoil spring in combination with the amount of powder you’re loading is what determines how the slide cycles. Loading lower power loads for me has translated into less recoil, but is less recoil = to softer recoil? For me, the less recoil meant slower recoil with reduced power loads (loads at the very low end of what will still cycle a slide).

The hammer spring also affects “perceived recoil” to a degree since it has to be compressed to  cock the hammer as the slide moves rearward. I dont feel much if any push backwards in recoil but I do notice muzzle jump. i find that heavier bullets seem to have less muzzle jump than lighter bullets.

2 hours ago, hal1955 said:

6 hours ago, CZFanGrrl said:

I’m under the impression that the recoil spring in combination with the amount of powder you’re loading is what determines how the slide cycles. Loading lower power loads for me has translated into less recoil, but is less recoil = to softer recoil? For me, the less recoil meant slower recoil with reduced power loads (loads at the very low end of what will still cycle a slide).

The hammer spring also affects “perceived recoil” to a degree since it has to be compressed to  cock the hammer as the slide moves rearward. I dont feel much if any push backwards in recoil but I do notice muzzle jump. i find that heavier bullets seem to have less muzzle jump than lighter bullets.

Interesting, so a lighter hammer spring would be easier to compress then?  I like the 147s for my comp loads and the 124 JHP for steel matches and practice, but I think I’m going to just load 147’s for everything once I’m through the 124’s.  I’ve been told I manage the recoil well on the Shadow 2, but it can always be improved.  I ordered the extended safety for both and the flat slim short slide lock pin for both.

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2020 at 7:59 PM, CZFanGrrl said:

Interesting, so a lighter hammer spring would be easier to compress then?  I like the 147s for my comp loads and the 124 JHP for steel matches and practice, but I think I’m going to just load 147’s for everything once I’m through the 124’s.  I’ve been told I manage the recoil well on the Shadow 2, but it can always be improved.  I ordered the extended safety for both and the flat slim short slide lock pin for both.

Yes, a lighter hammer spring is easier to compress, but you also run the risk of light primer strikes and may be required to run an extended firing pin and soft firing pin spring and/or Federal Primers.  Having said that, I recently did some work on a well broken in 85C that had over 40,000 rounds through it, everything was worn; the hammer hooks, the sear, the safety and all needed to be replaced in order to get it to function.  My friend was running a 13 pound main spring in it and for fun, I threw in an 11# main spring to see if that would lighten up the trigger which was actually exception with the 13 pound spring, running about 8.5# in D/A and 3# in S/A.  I didn’t have anything other than S&B primers to test it against and with a sub 7# D/A and a 2# S/A it was setting off S&B primers which are a lot like CCI, hard.  The internals of the 85C were action polished to perfection and so there was no resistance anywhere allowing everything to cycle perfectly.  I’m now onto 158gn’s with 2.95 - 3.0gn of Alliant Sport Pistol, very nice shooting combo.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2021 at 9:55 AM, Yaboyjosh said:

I'm looking For a shadow 2 co setup if anyone has one they'd want to sell.  

Once you get 50 posts/comments you can post a WTB in the classifieds section. Mods don't like such request in the other parts of the forum.