Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone like silhouette?

Adrenaline

I’m an evangelist for the church of Silhouette. It’s clean, efficient, and cheap.

I run a Glock 17 open gun as well with a Carver Major comp on it. That said I have a Lonewolf barrel with a very shallow throat. I know I know. I’m gonna ream it. Just haven’t gotten around to it so my loads are short. Hoping once I get the throat opened up I can get a little more powder in there and it will run even better.

Right now my load is:

124gr PD JHP

6.8 grs Silhouette

1378 FPS 6.4 SD / 26 ES *

COAL 1.070”

171 PF

Very accurate load!

And that SD/ES is with about 20 rounds over the chrono.

I’ve also used HS-6.

Load for that is:

7.0 grs HS-6

1348 FPS 10.8 SD / 38 ES

COAL 1.070”

At this point I just like Silhouette better. I like it so much I have 16 pounds of it.

I also use Silhouette for my SD 9MM loads. Makes +P+ easy. Low flash, and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS-6 is slower than Silhouette and generates more gas.  The difference can be felt, but isn't a lot.  I very much prefer Silhouette over HS-6.  I went through 12 lbs. of it this season.  I have 4 lbs. left which I'll save for minor.  My new fav is Shooters World Major Pistol powder.  Much flatter and softer than Silhouette, and denser than 3N38.

I have used silhouette since not that long after 9mm major with light bullets became legal and haven't really found any reason to use anything else.

Before that I used Nobel Sport SP2 (which I preferred) but hasn't been imported to the US for years. Shooters world major is the only thing introduced lately I've considered trying but haven't had a chance yet.

12 hours ago, jstagn said:

Zzz I assume by denser it takes up less space in the brass? What load compared to 3n38? Thanks 

With a 115, 9.4 3N38 vs. 10.1 MP.  The MP load leaves more space in the case, and the much finer grain does not fly out of the case when indexing as much as 3N38 does.

Sil was accurate and a good choice for 9mm major but I did prefer HS-6 over it in my setup. I wouldn't be against using Sil if it was all I could get. I think your guns setup (comp chambers & popples or not) will dictate if either powder does better than the other. But Id lean towards the advantages of HS-6.

HS-6 definitely produces more gas as its slower than sil and therefore requires a higher charge weight. (More volume of burnt fuel produces more mass of combustion byproduct). Also with HS-6 being slower it has a higher muzzle pressure potential to feed the comp gas at higher velocity. With 2 setups, M&P9: 124 Zero JHP, KKM barrel, Carver 4 chamber comp, no popples; TANFO Gold Team: 124 Zero JHP, factory barrel/ comp/popples) I could notice all those benefits as my dot return was a tad faster with no overgassed dipping. I also liked HS-6 as it showed lower chamber pressure. I noticed primer flattening was always less with HS-6 vs sil at 170pf in the same gun/bullet/primer lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I run 7.3gr of Sil with a 124gr.   9 maj at 1.165.    This load has made major up to temps of 105F, however one cold morning down at the Gator Classic the chrono hit 184 pf.    It was a beast that day till it warmed up.

I shot mostly STI 2011 but I do have a Glock (keep this on the down low), it runs well with the same load.  

I've tried about every powder, and Silhouette is my favorite.  I've even done 9 maj with Accurate 7, 10gr w/125gr 1.165.

Edited by CocoBolo

On 1/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, zzt said:

HS-6 is slower than Silhouette and generates more gas.  The difference can be felt, but isn't a lot.  I very much prefer Silhouette over HS-6.  I went through 12 lbs. of it this season.  I have 4 lbs. left which I'll save for minor.  My new fav is Shooters World Major Pistol powder.  Much flatter and softer than Silhouette, and denser than 3N38.

You sure about that? Silhouette is slower than hs6 according to hodgdon burn rate chart.

Quite sure.  Burn rate charts are unreliable.  When you compare them, none of them agree.  If it takes more powder to make the same PF, that powder is slower than the powder you are comparing it to.

Hello: Silhouette is a good powder for 9mm major. The only thing I don't like is the oatmeal colored flakes it leaves behind. It doesn't stop the pistol from running but looks funny. Another thing is that it is reverse temp sensitive, so it gets faster as it gets cooler. One of my 3 favorite 9mm major powders. Thanks, Eric

On 2/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Silhouette is a good powder for 9mm major. The only thing I don't like is the oatmeal colored flakes it leaves behind. It doesn't stop the pistol from running but looks funny. Another thing is that it is reverse temp sensitive, so it gets faster as it gets cooler. One of my 3 favorite 9mm major powders. Thanks, Eric

I got that too with 124gr bullets. It went away when I switched to 115s

15 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

I shot the sjc comp the other day and compared to my gun.  The carver 4 port shot better in my opinion.  Definitely flatter shooting. I did not know what to expect. 

You aren't the first person that has said this. 

The Carver seems to act more like a brake with all of its side ports.   I messed around with using a 3 port rifle brake on my open gun and it gave me the softest feel of everything I tried, but it worked so well that it kept the gun from cycling.