Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CP2000 and RL1100

3 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Set up my RL1100 today on shortest notch...smooth and easy for 9mm...upgraded from 650 so I can’t speak to the 1050 travel distance. Guess you could always custom adjust it yourself and find whatever balance of distance vs effort you are looking for.

Poker - Compared to your 650 are you happy with the the investment into the 1100 and do you see yourself loading all of your 9mm on the 1100 now vs. the 650?  I ask because I am number 9 out on the wait list for 9mm and Dillon told me I would be receiving my call the later part of the first week of January and with the comments of the stroke being so much longer than previous models I wanted to ask if you are 100% happy with your purchase?  This long handle stroke has me a little concerned.....Mark

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Set up my RL1100 today on shortest notch...smooth and easy for 9mm...upgraded from 650 so I can’t speak to the 1050 travel distance. Guess you could always custom adjust it yourself and find whatever balance of distance vs effort you are looking for.

So how do you like it overall compared to your 650?

Initial impressions are good. Built like a Ox, super smooth. Feels like an upgrade from manufacturing standpoint. Dillon offers a trial period of 30 days so I’d say go for it.

Reason for my investment was for time savings long term. I want to shoot same amount but spend less time reloading (2nd kid on way soon). Once I get used to the ins and outs of the RL1100 I plan to automate and I didn’t feel 650 was the best option for that.

10 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Initial impressions are good. Built like a Ox, super smooth. Feels like an upgrade from manufacturing standpoint. Dillon offers a trial period of 30 days so I’d say go for it.

Reason for my investment was for time savings long term. I want to shoot same amount but spend less time reloading (2nd kid on way soon). Once I get used to the ins and outs of the RL1100 I plan to automate and I didn’t feel 650 was the best option for that.

Thanks for the insight. That really sounds like what I’ve been looking forward to. 

On 12/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, AHI said:

you are correct the stroke is much longer .I looked at the video @11:20 and it has a lot more up stroke

than a S1050.

You guys have sharp eyes. I compared the still shot in the video @ 11:20 to my Super 1050's trying to mimic the same distance and angle, and the handle AT REST in the upper limit of the stroke is MUCH farther away from the operator. Now, I don't claim to know any details about the new RL1100 beyond the advertised enhancements, but IF the handle position is close to same as the S-1050 at max stroke down, or toward operator, then there is significant difference in the overall travel radius. This would probably be a non-issue for anyone that plans to automate, but I run three 1050's manually for personal use with no plans at present to automate. 

All that being said, I've been seriously considering selling my 1050's and taking the hit for the RL1100 replacements, but, this handle stroke is something that I think I better learn a lot more details about before I sell my machines. Folks are just now starting to get their hands on a few, so we should all start hearing more details from the field pretty soon. 

Standing by with popcorn....

6 minutes ago, tmz said:

This video here shows the position of the RL1100 handle a little bit better I think. 

Thanks TMZ! And the Dillon guy in this video elaborates some on the handle stroke as well. More food for thought.

c401c63e0fb56319b4ff4314d4185416.jpg

Side by side comparison of the XL-650 and 1100. Because I use the in-line fabrication handle the pull seems about the same to me. I did have to lower the bench considerably so that the 1100 handle wouldn’t be above my shoulder. I normally load standing up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

That sucks. I just bought a new 1050. 1100 looks the same but probably a little better. Oh well. 

Contact Dillon and asked them if you could return the unit for the RL1100. I did, they were also to accommodate my needs but my 1050 is barely 2 months old...  doesn’t hurt to asked...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have skimmed this thread but I have not seen it asked.  Since the CP2000 does NOT come with the case trimmer, has anyone used a case trimmer on their Super 1050 or RL1000 to process bass?  $2k is pretty expensive option for a machine that only processes brass?

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

So I have skimmed this thread but I have not seen it asked.  Since the CP2000 does NOT come with the case trimmer, has anyone used a case trimmer on their Super 1050 or RL1000 to process bass?  $2k is pretty expensive option for a machine that only processes brass?

Tons of people trim/process on a 1050 with a case trimmer. For years it was the most efficient way to handle surplus .223 or make 300 BLK. A cottage industry grew supplying brass processors alternative parts for the 1050, and Dillon now offers the CP2000 in response to this market.

The CP2000 is more specialized than the 1050/1100 because it's value add is a second swage station. It lets you probe primer pockets and swage in one pass while doing all the normal above the shell plate processing operations. The expectation is that you're going to strap another $1500 worth of sensors and automation to it.

I was excited about buying the CP2000 when it was announced but found an already automated 1050 kit for the same price.

14 minutes ago, belus said:

Tons of people trim/process on a 1050 with a case trimmer. For years it was the most efficient way to handle surplus .223 or make 300 BLK. A cottage industry grew supplying brass processors alternative parts for the 1050, and Dillon now offers the CP2000 in response to this market.

The CP2000 is more specialized than the 1050/1100 because it's value add is a second swage station. It lets you probe primer pockets and swage in one pass while doing all the normal above the shell plate processing operations. The expectation is that you're going to strap another $1500 worth of sensors and automation to it.

I was excited about buying the CP2000 when it was announced but found an already automated 1050 kit for the same price.

What is your current set up then?  One automated press for everything?

Here lies my dilemma.  I have the funds for the CP2000, well I did before I realized it did not come with a case trimmer.  Now that I understand that I have to shell out $2k for a complete CP2000 that is not automated, do I just divert funds to automate my Dillon 1050 by buying a Mark 7, and buy tools heads for my various needs, which are not cheap either.  Plus if I automate my current 1050 then everything happens on one press.  That is a lot of use on one press.  I do not have a clear picture of how much 223 I will be loading.  I will be loading at least 30k of 9mm a year for then next couple of years.  

The other issue I see in automating is I probably want to use processed brass to prevent as many issues as possible when loading, on the 9mm side of things.  223 will have to be processed regardless.  I prefer to do all of my processing in house and I actually don't mind reloading.  Not sure about the processing because I have never done it.  I do know that hand processing is not an option due to the time suck.  

I assume there is more than enough room for the case trimmer once the powder drop is removed from the 1050 then?

Is the second swage station and functionality of the CP2000 worth it?

Lastly, am I better just automating my current 1050 and using it for everything?

Edited by Boomstick303

38 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

What is your current set up then?  One automated press for everything?

Here lies my dilemma.  I have the funds for the CP2000, well I did before I realized it did not come with a case trimmer.  Now that I understand that I have to shell out $2k for a complete CP2000 that is not automated, do I just divert funds to automate my Dillon 1050 by buying a Mark 7, and buy tools heads for my various needs, which are not cheap either.  Plus if I automate my current 1050 then everything happens on one press.  That is a lot of use on one press.  I do not have a clear picture of how much 223 I will be loading.  I will be loading at least 30k of 9mm a year for then next couple of years.  

The other issue I see in automating is I probably want to use processed brass to prevent as many issues as possible when loading, on the 9mm side of things.  223 will have to be processed regardless.  I prefer to do all of my processing in house and I actually don't mind reloading.  Not sure about the processing because I have never done it.  I do know that hand processing is not an option due to the time suck.  

I assume there is more than enough room for the case trimmer once the powder drop is removed from the 1050 then?

Is the second swage station and functionality of the CP2000 worth it?

Lastly, am I better just automating my current 1050 and using it for everything?

Just an assumption, but you're probably accustomed to loading in 400-600 round batches and approaching this question the same way.  Once you automate, either your current 1050 or another press, the batch sizes get much larger and the caliber conversions become an opportunity for cleaning and relubing the press. There's not much of an advantage to using a separate press for processing. (I should know because it's what I do :P.) Your 1050 can handle millions of rounds with care and lubrication. I would not be concerned about wear if you lubricate things with every toolhead change and give it a good cleaning twice a year.

30k 9mm per year is about $3000/yr in components and only one reloading day every other month if you do it all at once.  Dedicated tool heads are $300-$400 all set up an worth it at this volume, IMO.

I think you're best off automating your current 1050 and picking up an extra toolhead that can be used to host processing dies.  Process 5k of 9mm brass and then load 5k, keep track based on primer cases.  The 5k interval is a good opportunity to dig into the press and make sure everything is tuned and lubricated.

eta: second swage station is for 223 processors that want to probe the primer pocket to ensure its empty first, or for people that are reloading bulk 45acp and need to test for small/large primer pockets first.

Edited by belus

12 minutes ago, belus said:

Just an assumption, but you're probably accustomed to loading in 400-600 round batches and approaching this question the same way.  Once you automate, either your current 1050 or another press, the batch sizes get much larger and the caliber conversions become an opportunity for cleaning and relubing the press. There's not much of an advantage to using a separate press for processing. (I should know because it's what I do :P.) Your 1050 can handle millions of rounds with care and lubrication. I would not be concerned about wear if you lubricate things with every toolhead change and give it a good cleaning twice a year.

30k 9mm per year is about $3000/yr in components and only one reloading day every other month if you do it all at once.  Dedicated tool heads are $300-$400 all set up an worth it at this volume, IMO.

I think you're best off automating your current 1050 and picking up an extra toolhead that can be used to host processing dies.  Process 5k of 9mm brass and then load 5k, keep track based on primer cases.  The 5k interval is a good opportunity to dig into the press and make sure everything is tuned and lubricated.

eta: second swage station is for 223 processors that want to probe the primer pocket to ensure its empty first, or for people that are reloading bulk 45acp and need to test for small/large primer pockets first.

Thanks, that helps put things in perspective for me.  Not far off on the assumption.  I try to load 800-1000 rounds per session.  Something I have noted is the press seems to get (I don't know how exactly how to explain what I am feeling so I will use the term sticky but that is not quite correct) sticky.  The press is not as smooth after loading around 1000 rounds.  If I let the press sit, it is smooth again for another 800-1000 rounds.  I don't know if that is from lubrication warming up and the press not having enough lube or what.  I have not tracked that down yet.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines about the tool head conversions.  At around 5,000-8,000 rounds of anything just move to a different process or process for a certain caliber and maintenance the press when switching tool heads.  Designated tool heads are the way to go, and now that I think about it would have been purchased now matter which direction I would have gone in.  Do you find  you always perform maintenance at 5000 rounds?  Dillon says 10,000, but due to automating your press do you move that to 5000 rounds?

I do intend to load 223 in the winter.  I was looking towards processing the brass now, so I can spread those tool head conversions over the next couple of months.

Not sure what you are using for automation, but if you have a Mark 7 what sensors have you purchased if any, and what sensors would you think are a must have or possibly ones you you think may be a waste of money?  I would think Swage sense makes the most sense for the first sensor.  

Thanks, for the ideas.  I was pretty set on buying a CP2000, but I now think automating is a much better decision.  Forums can be very useful.

Your input is much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Not sure what you are using for automation, but if you have a Mark 7 what sensors have you purchased if any, and what sensors would you think are a must have or possibly ones you you think may be a waste of money?  I would think Swage sense makes the most sense for the first sensor.  

I have a pair of 1050s with Forcht autodrives which are smooth but not very sophisticated. The dumb one processes brass and the smart one loads ammo. I have ambitions of adding a micro controller to the dumb one so it doesn't require as much baby sitting, but my own baby sitting is delaying that project.

The processing press gets relubed every 3 gallons of brass or so (it's dirtier). The loading press is serviced based on primer count with a 5k sleeve just being a convenient number to remember it by.

I think the primer pocket obstruction sensor/swage sense is the most valuable of the suite. It's hard to see if anything has gone wrong in that station from the operators vantage point. But I process on a dumb machine and make do by running a pair of universal decappers in the first two stations.  About 1% of primers make it past the first deapping pin and get punched out by the second.  I swage while loading simply to keep the priming step trouble free. Feeding good quality brass on the loading run eliminates most of the headache, stoppages, and need for other sensors. But I also don't let it load unattended.

I process 9mm on a press set up for 40sw: shell plate, case feed shuttle, small pistol casefeed plate, etc. The dies are a pair of universal decapping dies and a Lee U-die for 40sw. The 9mm cases get decapped and pass around unmolested prior to cleaning. The 40sw cases are cleaned first and get resized with no other adjustments necessary, but then loaded on a manual machine because I don't have a 40 bullet feeder.

Loading 9mm I use a Dillon sizing die in the first station and a Lee U-die with a custom swage backing rod in place of the decapping stem in the swage station. The rest of the toolhead is run of the mill stuff: MBF powder drop, MBF, Dillon seat, Dillon crimp.

If I ever get a couple thousand crimped 223 I'll convert the processing press over for that and trim/swage them. Right now I hardly load any rifle and do everything single stage or a 550. More likely I'll just buy preprocessed 223.

19 minutes ago, belus said:

If I ever get a couple thousand crimped 223 I'll convert the processing press over for that and trim/swage them. Right now I hardly load any rifle and do everything single stage or a 550. More likely I'll just buy preprocessed 223.

That all makes perfect sense.  Too bad I didn't have the funds last month.  Mark 7 was giving away 1 sensor with the purchase of a Mark 7 last month. 

Thanks.  Much appreciated. 

Edited by Boomstick303