Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Select for factory duplication loads?

Cherokeewind

Alliant's old data book listed a 230gr JHP over 4.9gr American Select for 780fps @ 19600psi @ 1.123" OAL.   230gr lead at 4.5gr AS for 825pfs @ 16900psi @ 1.119" OAL.  Plated would be in between.

I have a few lbs of it,  tried it for 40 major,  powder seemed to have flakes that didnt meter as well as tightgroup or WST in my Dillon. SD's kinda confirmed it. So I am just planning on using it for plinking revolver loads where exact velocity isnt as big of a deal.. Worked pretty good loading up mousefart 38 loads for the wifes alloy J frame.
Getting into CO so may give it a try under these new polycoated bullets for 9mm minor as other powder I have onhand is tight group,,  So might s well load the 2 lbs see what happens

For quite some time I used 4.0gr AS under a 200 gr LSWC as my bullseye load. 681pfs, SD 11.  Bumping the charge up resulted in a better SD, but no increase in accuracy.  N310 sucked big time.  WST was great but over 800fps, SD 10.  e3 turned out to be the ticket.  3.7gr under a 200gr LSWC was 794fps, SD 9.4.  Amazingly, dropping the charge to 3.4gr produced 731fps, SD 5.35 with a WLP, and 726fps, SD 4.97 with a CCI 300.  Accuracy is superb.

e3 also works splendidly for 40 minor and major. 

Tried it in 40, using an LnL powder measure, SD for the load I settled on was 9. Accuracy was nothing to write home about, neither was recoil, but the report seemed kinda "poppy" and loud like Power Pistol. Can't recall if it was particularly clean, not much of a concern of mine.

I haven't tried it in 45 yet, but I imagine it would work just fine to match factory velocities if that's the goal.

Sooner or later the accounts on this forum are going to convince me to grab a pound or two of e3.