Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else prefer the stock M&P trigger?

superslowmo

I’ve come to find that I prefer the hinged stock trigger on the M&P series.

For whatever reason I am able to work it faster than the Glock “style” triggers and find it more comfortable.

I recently purchased a 5” CORE (with over travel adjust) that had the enhanced trigger already installed (along with the comp sear and springs) and couldn’t get accustomed to it for anything. So I dropped a stock trigger back in and it’s been magical.

Who else is in this boat, where all you’ve needed to drop in has been a sear and springs to maximize it for your use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I bought my M&P C two years ago, I couldn't hit anything with

that Looonnnng 8 lb trigger pull.

Got an Apex 5 lber and GREEAATTT.     :cheers:

My stock M&P is just barely on 5lbs now (hoping it doesn't fail at the Nats, tbh!)

But that's what you get with 30,000 rnds 😜 lol

Apex'd will always be better than stock. I love the ergonomics and feel of the M&P but hate that hinged trigger. I put in an Apex aluminum trigger, Apex Sear, and Apex spring kit in mine. After some adjustments to the  trigger bar loop, sear engagement, and installing an overtravel stop my M&P has a reliable and crisp 2lb 10 oz pull with minimal travel and quick reset. 

Edited by BallisticianX

30 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Apex'd will always be better than stock. I love the ergonomics and feel of the M&P but hate that hinged trigger. I put in an Apex aluminum trigger, Apex Sear, and Apex spring kit in mine. After some adjustments to the  trigger bar loop, sear engagement, and installing an overtravel stop my M&P has a reliable and crisp 2lb 10 oz pull with minimal travel and quick reset. 

All I have replaced in my 2.0 so fare is the sear, and it made a big difference.  The other thing  I would like to improve on is the overtravel. 

Did you buy your stop or make one?

2 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

All I have replaced in my 2.0 so fare is the sear, and it made a big difference.  The other thing  I would like to improve on is the overtravel. 

Did you buy your stop or make one?

I made one out of a set screw. I removed the back strap and drilled thru the frame in line with the Apex solid trigger being careful to line up with the trigger on center and not impede the trigger safety. I short threaded the hole so it had some cinching ability to stay put, put the set screw in and adjusted it. Simple job that takes patience and care.

About a year after I did that work I saw S&W offered a trigger stop on the pro model I think, anyway it was of a similar arrangement to mine. I was an innovator LOL!

I did this stop to a few M&P's for guys in my area and they were all on pre 2.0's. I haven't done on in quite awhile so I'm not sure if anythings changed to restrict doing this on newer guns. 

Thanks for that, something to consider. 

I thought about building up behind the trigger with something like an epoxy putty and then work it down to just past sear release. That should also shorten the reset.  What do you think?

Edited by Drillbit

1 hour ago, Drillbit said:

Thanks for that, something to consider. 

I thought about building up behind the trigger with something like an epoxy putty and then work it down to just past sear release. That should also shorten the reset.  What do you think?

Im not so sure the epoxy would hold up just clung to the surface while being torqued against on every shot. Also some polymers dont adhere well to epoxy anyway. I wouldnt try it as I think its too much work for a high fail potential. 

15 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Im not so sure the epoxy would hold up just clung to the surface while being torqued against on every shot. Also some polymers dont adhere well to epoxy anyway. I wouldnt try it as I think its too much work for a high fail potential. 

I had thought about the epoxy before I read your post.  I'm going to give your mod. a look.

Thanks 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:53 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW, 30,000 rounds in how long ?

The Apex triggers do come in 3 lbsers also, for competition.     :) 

Way too long really! Only about five years. . . my mate has about 60K+ in about that time (well that's Master grade for you lol)

Only from Jan 1 this year can we install trigger kits with a max 3lbs every shot in IPSC...we are drifting towards USPSA, it seems! Which doesn't please many people (but hey, 99% of Production is CZs here so it was an attempt at vague level playing fielding lol)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Another resounding "NO". No factory M&P trigger can compare to an APEX FSS flat faced trigger. All my M&P 2.0's have them. Even my cary gun. Standard parts for me have way to long of a reset and too much take up.

Also another "hell no", for me.

Before all these aftermarket triggers came out for all these plastic guns, the M&P with a good APEX install had the best glass/glass trigger out of any plastic gun.

It still probably does.  The XD gets super light down to the M&P lb-age, but a good smith can get an APEX on the M&P to feel like... I can't even describe how good the trigger is.  

You know how everyone thinks a good 1911 trigger is the gold standard? A great APEX install feels like it has less backpressure on the trigger vs a 1911...

I've shot many APEX installs in M&Ps; only felt 3 that were on that level. But it's possible.

When I first had an M&P Pro I kept the stock trigger with an Apex competition kit and was quite content shooting it in IPSC Standard Division (Minor PF). Trigger broke at about 3 lb.

Out of all the IPSC Production Division legal guns that I tried, the M&P fitted my hands the best. Lamentably I needed a sear setup with a 7 lb trigger to be legal for the division, so I refrained from competing with it (didn't stop me from breaking a striker by doing thousands of dry fires on a Laser Ammo cartridge an an attempt to get used to the trigger).
Fast forward to January 1, 2019 - 3 lb aftermarket triggers are now legal for Production Division so I installed an Apex rear trigger with a 3.5 lb setup in my longslide 2.0 and am happy as a pig in **** shooting this gun.

5 minutes ago, Lior said:

When I first had an M&P Pro I kept the stock trigger with an Apex competition kit and was quite content shooting it in IPSC Standard Division (Minor PF). Trigger broke at about 3 lb.

Out of all the IPSC Production Division legal guns that I tried, the M&P fitted my hands the best. Lamentably I needed a sear setup with a 7 lb trigger to be legal for the division, so I refrained from competing with it (didn't stop me from breaking a striker by doing thousands of dry fires on a Laser Ammo cartridge an an attempt to get used to the trigger).
Fast forward to January 1, 2019 - 3 lb aftermarket triggers are now legal for Production Division so I installed an Apex rear trigger with a 3.5 lb setup in my longslide 2.0 and am happy as a pig in **** shooting this gun.

That's awesome. I won't get into it but one of our very large depts here adopted the original line of M&Ps and from that, I learned how horribly designed and made the basepads, front sights, slide stops, barrels, etc were made. My friend used to tell me he would buy 4, onewould shoot 10inches at 25yds, one would shoot 4in, so he would keep it and sell the rest.

Oops I got on a tangent. Meandering back, I think it is so refreshing and encouraging to hear someone so content with their platform. Hope you keep kicking butt with it! Like I said before, I dont think any poly trigger currently can surpass a very good Apex install in and M&P. I tried the SFX model from Canik and it was also really good.

I've been running Apex internals with the stock trigger shoe on my M&P's since Apex introduced the parts several years ago.  I was completely content with that setup, especially since my work gun is a completely stock M&P so it was nice having the same reach and trigger feel as my work gun.  That was until I got a Walther Q5 match and the respective Apex forward set trigger.  I was amazed at how much difference there was in that trigger and how good it feels to me.  So now I have 2 Apex FSS kits for my M&P's showing up today.  We'll see if they end up winning me over too.