Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reporting PCC results separately

GJM

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Get one thousand people to email Practiscore asking them to no longer report an overall in their results but division results only. That'd probably do it.

Ken and company, being proactive are addressing the "issue". From a FB post by Ken:

" On the PractiScore side, we are changing so that the overalls will be an option for the Match Director to show or not show, and that even when shown will not be the default view. "

This way we can let the healing begin ... 😉

(Now people are going to be pissed about what division is shown as default :roflol:)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Get one thousand people to email Practiscore asking them to no longer report an overall in their results but division results only. That'd probably do it.

But I like the overall results. That way I can see how many Open and PCC shooters I beat shooting Carry Optics 🤣

On 2/21/2019 at 10:11 AM, HCH said:

But I like the overall results. That way I can see how many Open and PCC shooters I beat shooting Carry Optics 🤣

You would have probably beaten those shooters regardless of what division you and they were shooting.

back in the days prior to practicscore i don't remember pining to know the overall. but since  then i've swung from wanting to crunch tons of numbers and wanting all the data possible to just what i can garner now in a quick glance.

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

back in the days prior to practicscore i don't remember pining to know the overall. but since  then i've swung from wanting to crunch tons of numbers and wanting all the data possible to just what i can garner now in a quick glance.

Our club always printed out an overall at the match.  Ez win score would let you see/print them, but you couldn't get them online that i know of

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

Our club always printed out an overall at the match.  Ez win score would let you see/print them, but you couldn't get them online that i know of

in my paper scoring experience i never shot anywhere that had that capability on site for a local. so you didn't get to see any score until that night at best, if not up to weeks later.  i forget what a sea change electronic scoring really has been....

Edited by rowdyb

The first (and mostly  only) place to see scores in Area 2 was logically the Area 2 web site. Jerry Mallard, the webmiester would post the overall scores. This is true from Feb 1999 and likely earlier. Somehow, the area survived this travesty.

15 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

in my paper scoring experience i never shot anywhere that had that capability on site for a local. so you didn't get to see any score until that night at best, if not up to weeks later.  i forget what a sea change electronic scoring really has been....

One of our guys has always brought an old computer and would do scores while we shot.  Once laptops were available it was no big deal to have scores done just a few minutes after the last shooter.  Sometimes they have been printed, sometimes we would just look on the screen at the match, but long wait times for scores have generally not been an issue in my area for 10 plus years. And we do not in any way have a fancy setup.  A shack with electricity at best or in other places the front seat of a car with a laptop when no power was available

Just now, Southpaw said:

I like having overalls. Especially nice to have if you're shooting a division not many others are shooting. 

It would be nice if the website had the ability to check boxes for which divisions to include in overalls though.

Get the Practiscore Competitor app!

Web site would have to do a full-blown results recalculation for every possible variant/permutation of divisions or scoring variants. Currently it shows static data as posted by MD. But PractiScore Competitor app does it all, and then some more. You can run it on a computer, e.g. in a Bluestacks (needs Google Play support to install paid apps).

1 hour ago, Silver_Surfer said:

LOL, I'm just surprised a long-gun can beat a handgun in a handgun COF. 

I know why a long-gun can beat a handgun in the Peoples Republic Of Hawaii but not in the Free States?😀 

They can’t. They only beat other PCC’s. 

Yes, they do only beat PCC's. But it really depends on the course of fire & the MD. PCC's do well on open long fast courses with tight shots, no shoots, head shots. Stages with lots of leans around props & walls left & right are better for pistol shooters. Some MD's are more PCC friendly than others. In the Houston area they go all different directions kind of based on what the MD shoots or shot. He tends to favor that style of stages. 

gerritm

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, HCH said:

Is there this much complaining about PCC in Steel Challenge?

I don’t remember ever hearing about how rimfire or PCC was so unfair to the rest of the Steel Challenge competitors. 

Not at all.  Of course, that sport already had rifles (rimfire) before PCC.  But I've also found that Steel Challenge is more of a "family crowd" and less ego driven than what you can sometimes run into in USPSA.  

There is also (at least within PractiScore) the convention of reporting results in the "main match" which is defined at the Centerfire pistols.  That makes it a bit easier to see how you compare with other centerfire pistols shooters.

By the way, if some MD want to post separate results for PCC (or any other division that makes some people butt hurt). It only takes 10 seconds to clone match, delete selected divisions and post results for that cloned match.

2 minutes ago, euxx said:

By the way, if some MD want to post separate results for PCC (or any other division that makes some people butt hurt). It only takes 10 seconds to clone match, delete selected divisions and post results for that cloned match.

Soothing balm for the butthurt 🙂

I will say that I side with those that feel that stage design should be division agnostic.  The people that have problems with the PCC division because stage designs have changed are misdirecting their ire IMHO.  This isn't a PCC problem.  This is a MD problem.  Again, just my opinion.  The notion that promoting PCC somehow creates unskilled pistol shooters I think stems from the silly notion that shooting PCC requires no skill.  Reloads still take practice.  As does shooting weak/off-hand.  As does operate a PCC accurately, at speed, and not violating any safety rules (breaking 180 for example).  

I'll also state that I think it's counterproductive from a 2A standpoint for there to be so much division hate/bashing.  Yes, a PCC is a very practical defensive weapon.  I'm grateful I have the opportunity to shoot competitively with one in USPSA.   Ultimately if the gun grabbers win (which I think is more likely than not) a good part of the reason why is the practical shooting community tends to be a circular firing squad at times.  If you're a safe shooter, you exhibit good sportsmanship, and you help reset, you should be embraced and supported in the community.  

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, RolexJohn said:

Not at all.  Of course, that sport already had rifles (rimfire) before PCC.  But I've also found that Steel Challenge is more of a "family crowd" and less ego driven than what you can sometimes run into in USPSA.  

The other thing is that the stuff that makes pcc an occasional nuisance in USPSA (new rule set, some guns that are too quiet, unique starts, special staging area needs, etc) are not an issue with steel challenge, more of a round peg in a round hole kind of thing.