Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron Sights

Brian Payne

I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I have a DPMS flattop with railed gas block. DPMS removable iron sights front and rear. I am interested in the JP Enterprise Globe front sight. Good idea for long range targets (like 300 yard plates) or am I better off just staying with the DPMS front sight with a National Match sight blade.

Does the height of the JP sight match up with the DPMS rear sight?

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

Unless the rails (front and rear) are the same height from the barrel centerline as the JP rails are, you may need some spacers to get the heights right.

The JP Globe is a nice sight (It's a Lyman actually), but it does not increase the intrinsic accuracy over a standard post front sight. A thinner front post is a better change IMO, I use a .045 one myself on my iron sighted AR.

An AR with an A2 rear peep and a standard post front is an accurate setup in good hands. Only optics are really gonna make it easier to hit at distance. Iron sight shooting is not easy and there is no magic bullet (sight) here ;-)

--

Regards,

I find the thinner post better for precision distance work. A fatter, more prominent post may be a bit faster in short course stuff. I don't see a colored Fiber Optic helping at all on long stuff as sharpness is more important and color does not resolve as well optically.

--

Regards,

I’m not a Kurt Miller or Kelly Neal but, have shot iron sight for the past two years and have shot with both lushes. What I find important is sight radius. Both Kurt and I use a .50 thousands front sight post regardless of the rear sight. Some iron sight shooters see better than others. At one time I was using a .30 thousands front sight post and it took me longer to focus on the post than a .50 thousands. I use a JP globe and it suites me well in all most any light. Kurt uses a custom open front sight assembly and found him wanting to shoot at certain times (First in the squad vs middle or last) because of the light exposure on his open front sight post. I do not find a fiber optic useful at all but do find that with the globe at CQB ranges it is much easier to use with both eyes open. Remember that what you start with is what you finish with. If you use a fiber optic you might loose sharpness in your front sight post at longer ranges. I believe it all comes down to training with what you feel comfortable with and train smarter and harder that your competitor. I would take my own advice on that last statement but I work too much Bronco and Kurt and KellyN!!!! Let's add trapper in on this!!! And the rest of you fools that laugh and beat the crap out of me!! Oh! don't forget Mike45 you pike!!

Kelly B

i have shot the jp globe for the last year and a half, i like it but if my memory is correct, i think i shot better with the old thinned post. i am going to switch back to it and play around for the next month or so just to find out. i do really like the jp globe due to being able to use different apertures, but i feel like it obscures more of the target than tyhe post did.

flyin hawaiian i believe you kicked my butt the other weekend. see ya trapr