Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a trigger

jmac2112

I ended up going with the Hiperfire Reflex.  I did check on the AR Gold at the local Cabelas, but they were out.  I thought I was getting a really good deal on the Hiperfire until I saw what jon49erfan just posted!  I'll have to look into Dvor for the future.  In any case, thanks again to everyone who gave me advice!   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a 4# Velocity flat a few years ago and don't regret it one bit. The guy that owns Velocity used to be a design engineer for Timney and worked for Knight. He sells on eBay too and includes little extras like anti walk pins or trigger guard.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

All of those will be fine; I have 0 experience with the Velocity triggers. I think I dry-fired one, and it was pretty good, but not my fave.

The CMC will have one of strongest resets out of all of them, as will the G trigger. The reset on the CMC is also pretty short, and there isn't much/any takeup.

Some of the triggers will have more travel than the others, you will have to purchase based on whether you prefer some slack in your single stage triggers, or not.

The Hiperfire, G, and CMC are all smooth-traveling. You're right on the drop-in/modular aspect of the G trigger. Also pay attention to how they are designed; some hit harder than others (important note, regardless of what primers/ammo you plan on using).

On 1/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, jmac2112 said:

I ended up going with the Hiperfire Reflex.  I did check on the AR Gold at the local Cabelas, but they were out.  I thought I was getting a really good deal on the Hiperfire until I saw what jon49erfan just posted!  I'll have to look into Dvor for the future.  In any case, thanks again to everyone who gave me advice!   

So, what do you think of it?

On 1/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, jmac2112 said:

I didn't know AR Gold was on the table! I would have voted for that above all, but I thought the budget was sub $200? Which was why I didn't mention it...

OP here.  I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun since completing the build a couple weeks ago, but I like what I'm feeling in dry fire.  Very slight creep (you really have to feel for it), short, positive reset.  I've got the 3.5 lb. springs in it right now, and that feels plenty light for me.  

blueorison:  The only reason the AR Gold was a possibility is that Cabela's had them on sale.  I couln't find a Cabela's within driving distance that had one in stock, so I went with the Hiperfire.

I know you made your choice but I would like to give my input on the AR Gold as I had a bad experience with it. I had a strange issue with mine that ultimately made me return it before getting any really meaningful round count on it.

The first time I shot it after the install the first round didn’t go off, but there was no primer strike AT ALL. I loaded the rifle from an open bolt, pulled the trigger and just got a click. I Pulled the bolt and ejected a perfectly good and unmarked round. After that - the rifle shot perfectly. It felt very good, but a rather weak reset imo. About a week later I went back to the range to get some more time behind the trigger and the same exact thing happened to me on the very first round loaded into the rifle, followed by flawless function.

I also had a lot of play in the trigger shoe. I’m not talking about the ‘roll’ that they build into the trigger - I mean a lot of side to side wobble of just the shoe. The trigger housing was solid in the receiver and no wobble so it wasn’t that. I emailed their customer support asking about it and nobody ever got back to me. This plus the weird first round of the day issues lead to just returning the trigger vs some kind of support. It’s disappointing bc everyone that shoots them loves the AR Gold, and I will admit it felt great but I wasn’t confident in the customer support or the reliability so away it went. 

57 minutes ago, Pollock said:

I know you made your choice but I would like to give my input on the AR Gold as I had a bad experience with it. I had a strange issue with mine that ultimately made me return it before getting any really meaningful round count on it.

The first time I shot it after the install the first round didn’t go off, but there was no primer strike AT ALL. I loaded the rifle from an open bolt, pulled the trigger and just got a click. I Pulled the bolt and ejected a perfectly good and unmarked round. After that - the rifle shot perfectly. It felt very good, but a rather weak reset imo. About a week later I went back to the range to get some more time behind the trigger and the same exact thing happened to me on the very first round loaded into the rifle, followed by flawless function.

I also had a lot of play in the trigger shoe. I’m not talking about the ‘roll’ that they build into the trigger - I mean a lot of side to side wobble of just the shoe. The trigger housing was solid in the receiver and no wobble so it wasn’t that. I emailed their customer support asking about it and nobody ever got back to me. This plus the weird first round of the day issues lead to just returning the trigger vs some kind of support. It’s disappointing bc everyone that shoots them loves the AR Gold, and I will admit it felt great but I wasn’t confident in the customer support or the reliability so away it went. 

Whoa, that is no bueno.  Ive owned 4 (not at the same time), now I am down to 1, because I really only have one AR I use. Most were from trades. They 100% have a weak reset vs others. Their mission statement, iirc, was to mimic a 1911/2011, so the notverypowerfulreset makes sense. They do have pretravel for the first shot, before you shoot to the reset, but forsure should not have that side to side wobble or first round failure. Sounds like a lemon, sorry you had that experience.

3rd on Calvin Elite, I have used a dozen aftermarket ar triggers, done split time testing vs. the AR gold since its the only other one that will consistently run at 1.5# and the Calvin won.  Also not <$200, sorry.

Edited by inertia

OP here again.  Finally got a chance to shoot the gun with the Hiperfire Reflex.  I have no other rifle triggers to compare it to, but I have zero complaints.  No perceptible creep, at least while actually shooting, and a good reset.  The 3.5 lb. springs are light enough for what I'm doing with the gun.  I'm sure there are better triggers out there, but this one does everything I need!