Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube for 1911?

Cherokeewind

I Use the free lucas oil with metal tip/applicator until it runs out and just refill the bottle with something like Mpro 7.  I really like the bottle with metal tip more than anything.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

AGAIN?  This is the most popular subject on forums, I think, the threads run forever.  

I'd like to see the Spartan product in the video run through the more controlled test that George Fennell does on Weapon Shield.  I ran across "tungsten di-sulfide" while looking at something else unrelated to firearms, and it seemed like a great anti-friction additive, used in engines.  Just for grins, I bought a bottle of gun oil from Archoil that has the tungsten di-sulfide.   It feels more slippery than my WS, but have no idea yet if it stays in place or prevents corrosion.  That gets me up to about 8 partial bottles of lubricants I have.   Some folks collect guns, I just collect the oil. 

AGAIN?  This is the most popular subject on forums, I think, the threads run forever.  
I'd like to see the Spartan product in the video run through the more controlled test that George Fennell does on Weapon Shield.  I ran across "tungsten di-sulfide" while looking at something else unrelated to firearms, and it seemed like a great anti-friction additive, used in engines.  Just for grins, I bought a bottle of gun oil from Archoil that has the tungsten di-sulfide.   It feels more slippery than my WS, but have no idea yet if it stays in place or prevents corrosion.  That gets me up to about 8 partial bottles of lubricants I have.   Some folks collect guns, I just collect the oil. 

Only 8. I am at least 15, maybe more.

I ran the Archoil stuff for awhile. I think they only have one now, but back then they had 3, the one you got, a spray version and LP nano ceramic, plus the 8300 grease. The grease is very slick.

I dont have corrosion issues, I cant say it help with that or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I tried a lot of lubes for my 1911's. Settled on Weapon Shield  (Actually I have the the original FP10 from when George made it.) That and Slide Guide. There are many good lubes out there but I like George's technology, it lubes like it should, and the guns need zero solvent to clean when I use FP10. Haven't really tried others since I switched way back when.

Edited by lgh

In my humble opinion, once again....there are good lubes and real good lubes, but at the end they are "all good" and do the job.  Clean your gun often, after every match, and whatever lube you use...will be OK....in  my humble opinion, once again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, Hperea said:

In my humble opinion, once again....there are good lubes and real good lubes, but at the end they are "all good" and do the job.  Clean your gun often, after every match, and whatever lube you use...will be OK....in  my humble opinion, once again.

Mad long as you don’t use a super thick lube when it is super cold out, you should be good 

I thought I was set up just fine with the Lucas Oil Extreme gun oil.  I had no complaints.

I then bought my first Dan Wesson last summer.  It happened to be one of their Duty Finish models.  The owners manual has a very short list of approved lubes/grease/cleaner that won't make the finish get cloudy spots....but other than that the Duty Finish is supposed to survive a direct nuclear warhead strike, lol.

It sucks having to have special handling needs for that gun.

One of the product lines that IS on their recommend lubes is Weapon Shield......and Kroil, blessed Kroil.   I already had Kroil on hand and have used it with great results for years.  Works great on getting barrels, comps and other stubborn parts clean....break down the gun and liberally apply Kroil to the barrel, comp and/or other stubborn surfaces.  Let it set overnight and then brush, patch, wipe and stuff usually comes off without much trouble.

The Weapon Shield oiler pen is outstanding.  Can get into all the hard to reach spots with precision.  It's refillable.  Their grease has worked well in the few times I've needed grease.  The oil seems to be really good.  The gun I'm using it on has a tool steel hammer that can rust easily and it's often worn IWB.   Wipedowns with some Weapon Shield oil has kept the gun pristine. 

I've been slowly converting my other guns over to Weapon Shield as I like it that much.

I guess the aggravation of that first Dan Wesson was actually worth it in that it at least put me on the path of another solid lube (as if I didn't already have a dozen to choose from).

Have since added other DW 1911's and one of the is that same confounded Duty Finish, lol.

My leftover Lucas Oil will continue to run nicely in my ARs that go through lots of lube....and ammo....

the lubrication industry is one of those industries that sell the same product rebranded to fit a niche.

lol, guilty as charged. I bought so much of this stuff that I feel stupid.

I have settled for red and tacky grease, thinned down with whatever oil I have at hand. Been using it all summer and winter. 

Never an issue.

And also recommended by the factory (SVI).

While this thread has remained civil, it reminds of when I was heavy into car racing. You wanna see people fight over opinions that only effect themselves, that’s where it’s at. “YOU CAN’T RUN THAT OIL, IT’S TRASH. YOU NEED XXXXXX BRAND, IT’S THE BEST!!”

Uh... hey. My car is fine. Been that way for 3 seasons. But thanks for the input.

”NOOOOO!”

Run what works. Be it prize table pickup, the latest brand wonder lube, whatever. 

I use Lucas. Red in the cold, Green in the heat.