Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube for 1911?

Cherokeewind

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using Royal purple on everything for years, but was recently introduced to Liberty Libricants and may be switching for my competition guns. It seems to actually coat and run more smoothly in my first impression. Doesn’t get runny with heat either so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used many different oils & lubes over the past 40 years of Competition.  I think starting with Hoppes and

then to Break Free for many years.  Then going to what I still use today; Mobil 1 0w-20, Kellube M12 and Weapons

Shield.  And last but not least Brian's Slide Glide Lite. 

I remember seeing a Youtube video made by the inventor of Weapons Shield, showing the lubricity of his product

against a couple of other popular oils.  It's good watching and looks as if it's a fair comparison (Frog Lube was one

of the oils).......

Edited by Sparky

most lubes are just grossly over priced re packaged nonsense.

my lube preference

1 whatever was free at last match

2 whatever i got free at work (5 gallons 2 cycle oil)

well considering I still have 4 gallons of that left over from 20 years ago,,,   Might be a while before I give you a 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've switched to 100% synthetic motor oil, gives a smoother feel to a stainless 1911.

Seems to last longer than FP-10.

I use 5W-30 so it starts those cold winter mornings. ;)

(went looking for Mobil 1 30W, but Pennzoil 5W-30 was on sale for half the price)

Edited by FF1063

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about open guns as far as lubricant needs compared to other ones, but the videos George Fennell of Weapons Shield posts on his site are pretty convincing.  Have used his stuff for years (with Slide Glide on rails at times) but again-no experience in high volume race guns. 

Edited by sheepdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Modern Spartan Accuracy Oil for me. If you don't want any wear of your firearms it's the one to get. Although it's fairly thin it stays put and last a fairly long time. Engine oil would probably perform just as well but it's carcinogenic and terrible at preventing rust. Watch this video. 

Edited by carsmovies