Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube for 1911?

Cherokeewind

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/27/2019 at 11:37 AM, Steve RA said:

I'd wager a reasonable amount of money that all the "Gun Lubes" are relabeled oil or grease.  None of the people selling "Gun Lubes" do enough volume to have anything custom made or have a refinery of their own.

I believe this is not the case with Weapon Shield.

According to the video, the tanks shown are for "blending".  So they buy product from other sources and then blend their own product.  This isn't quite like refining the oil as it comes from the ground and then using additives to come up with a desired product.  I'll admit that they do a lot more than the average company that sells "gun lubes" which are bought in bulk and either packaged by them or by the seller of the bulk product.

yeh I imagine a bunch of mumbo jumbo,,, show me the SDS which shows actual ingredients, which for the most part companies are required to do. See this all the time. Like in "gas stabalizers",, humm buy some kerosene put it in little pint bottles, add a "propriety blend"  umm dye. tell lots of lies, watch rubes line up to buy it for grossly inflated prices.

20 hours ago, Steve RA said:

According to the video, the tanks shown are for "blending".  So they buy product from other sources and then blend their own product.  This isn't quite like refining the oil as it comes from the ground and then using additives to come up with a desired product.  I'll admit that they do a lot more than the average company that sells "gun lubes" which are bought in bulk and either packaged by them or by the seller of the bulk product.

A lubrication company dedicated solely to firearms that refines oil  straight from the ground -- don't think there is any business case for doing that.

Question is, WHAT products/ingredients does Steel Shield / Weapon Shield (or any company) blend together?  Do they make sense for guns?  Do they do what they claim to do?

Overpriced?  Heck yes.  I have run most of my guns on the same 1-gallon jug of automatic transmission fluid for the last 10 years (I keep a big ziploc bag full of ATF-soaked patches handy), and about two-thirds of a 1-quart bottle of Mobil 1.  Very inexpensive stuff, and it works fantastic and goes a long way.  Non-toxic?  Don't think so.  I wash my hands thoroughly after using it, or I wear nitrile gloves.

A lubrication company dedicated solely to firearms that refines oil  straight from the ground -- don't think there is any business case for doing that.

So what , most engine oil company's dont even do that. Only a few are refiners others are just blenders.

Why would they when there are people who already refine it, and they can just buy the base stuff then add additives.

Oil is just a carrier anyways, additives do the real work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2019 at 11:40 AM, 223to45 said:

So what , most engine oil company's dont even do that. Only a few are refiners others are just blenders.

Why would they when there are people who already refine it, and they can just buy the base stuff then add additives.

Oil is just a carrier anyways, additives do the real work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

“So what” is my point.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2019 at 4:19 PM, CSEMARTIN said:

Does anyone here use Bob Marvel Oil aka MFR-7?

In the past it was manufactured by ABC Compounding through Pro Gold. 

They no no longer have the rights to manufacture this oil. While it is no longer available, it will be in the near future.

If this is an oil you are interested in, send me a PM or follow my dealer forum. Thanks!

I used ProGold bicycle chain oil on my bicycles. It worked really well and quieted the chains down significantly ... BUT ... after a month setting in the garage my chains rusted  horribly. BTW, my bikes were never ridden in the rain or wet weather conditions. Both chains were Completely covered with rust. I sure hope the weapon grade oil is a different formulation and has a better rust inhibitor package in it?

6 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

I used ProGold bicycle chain oil on my bicycles. It worked really well and quieted the chains down significantly ... BUT ... after a month setting in the garage my chains rusted  horribly. BTW, my bikes were never ridden in the rain or wet weather conditions. Both chains were Completely covered with rust. I sure hope the weapon grade oil is a different formulation and has a better rust inhibitor package in it?

I suppose it doesn't matter now since the oil is no longer on the market.

A couple years ago, I actually read the manual for my Dillon press 😲 They suggested using 30 weight motor oil. When I asked them if  I should use detergent or non-detergent oil, they said it didn’t matter. I had a quart of 30W non-detergent motor oil on the shelf so I used that on my press ram. Several weeks and thousands of rounds later, the oil film was still visible on the ram. I was quite amazed because I had been using a liquid spray oil up until that point and it disappeared after a few hours of use.

I decided to used the same 30W ND oil on my pistols and low and behold, the same oil film remained after shooting several range sessions and matches. I’m still using it and see no reason to use that outrageously high priced “gun” oils any more.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those topics that keep coming back every so often.....why? We are all different.  What really matters is if it works for you, and works well then CONTINUE DOING IT.

If you have time,  read this article by Grant Cunningham:

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

**** I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH EITHER (MR. CUNNINGHAM) OR (LUBRIPLATE).

If it makes sense.....I do it.

HP

Never shoot a dry gun, expensive oils make someone else rich.  If it work in your crankcase, it'll work on your gun.  5 minutes of driving is more RPM than you shoot in a year, unless your name is Jethro.

• 1 month later...