Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My PCC comparison, JP is worth it.

11 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

A couple of our local JP shooting PCC GM's have recently ditched their GMR's for the Sig MPX. 

They are nice guns for sure, but there's only so much you can do with a straight blowback. 

Did they switch to Gen 2 or Gen 3 MPX's? The reason I ask is because my Gen 2 was eating up triggers; this is why I went with the GMR-15.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Mpx

Zero dot movement.

QC10 build and neither have they with their GMR's.

chase for the "best" recoil impulse.

I personally think it’s important to accept the limitations of the system:

MPXs are gas systems and they will always be softer. Accept that.

I see too many blowback guys chasing shoft  shooting guns and ammo, when dot movement is what matters. All that matters. The gun is going to kick harder. Accept that, and focus on tuning the buffer/comp/ammo/springs to keep the muzzle stationary during controlled pairs.

The “soft” rabbit hole gets guys trying really light  ammo that won’t run their heavy 308 recoil springs and all manner of other problems. You’re a grown man. Firing a handgun from your shoulder. Even a blowback with snappy recoil is plenty easy to shoot.

If you want a true AR platform rifle instead of an MPX that eats parts and you want half the recoil of a flat short-stroked blowback gun, you need to be looking at the CMMG Guard. Mine is  running like a swiss watch (after plenty of trial and error) and it’s fantastically soft compared to a JP with short SCS and the same ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for all the sharing going on here. I'm super happy the JP over the FM9 because I can keep the dot on the target during recoil. My splits are noticeably faster than the FM9. I really enjoy reading your comments Memphis on setup and points about flatter rather than softer focus. I really would love to do the CMMG DRB setup on the FM9 like yours.

Today we played with the FM9 and JP back to back a lot. In the end, as expected due to their setup/price differences the JP is faster/better. A big part of that is the recoil and trigger. Is the short stroke worth doing if I'm shooting factory ammo? 

Thanks for the tip on the magwell SilverScooby, I'm going to get one soon. Thanks TNRedneck for the tip on the discount on the Smoke Composites, thats on the list as well now. 

Any suggestions for the best 124gr factory ammo that isn't $0.30/round or more?

Also dumb PCC question, what range should we be zero'ing for USPSA? I set them to 15yds for now since the bore axis differential isn't that much.

I’m running t1 ammo, but it’s a little expensive. They load with TMJ ammo, 30.4 cents per round for the bulk stuff. TMJ so no exposed lead base so you won’t have to clean lead out of your comp. Loaded longer than regular factory stuff, around 1.155 compared to 1.123 for Atlanta Arms, for example, but still functions fine in the mags, feeds fine. I used it all last year for both my wife and myself, thousands of rounds, only ever got one round that was a dud, a short 1.112 ish long round. I plan to only use T1 brand PCC ammo this year. 

You mght also consider Federal Syntech is making a new PCC round in the coated red bullets. I personally prefer copper bullets, though .

i zeroed everything to 12 yards last year, primary optic, 45 degree secondary optic and the laser. It worked fine, but my area (area 8 has a PCC specific match, level 2 for which I’m expecting some long distance shots. This year, I zeroed to 25 yards for the primary optic, 12 for the side dot, and 12 for the laser. Hope this info helps.

Don't get me wrong... I haven't abandoned the QC10 blowback gun... just enjoying the time with the mpx. Aside from replacing the firing pin twice a year... (And still getting bit with a broken pin at a match occasionally) it's treated me well 

We'll see how the mpx does for "eating parts". I'm only about 2000 rounds in since picking one up just after Christmas. So far all looks good internally. 

We zero at 25 , we shoot the blue bullets which shoot soft even at 150 PF with a good buffer system. Of course our reloads, I like the freedom munitions 135 hollow points and the 124 hollow points but they were hard to get so we reload now . It seems like they were .19 cents or somewhere close . They are slow getting them to you , if you try them FYI.

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

I don't think there are tons of top shooters shooting Sig guns in any division.  

2 out of the top 5 PCC shooters were shooting an MPX

Max was also shooting a Sig in CO for the win

Going to get to shoot a JP this next week, pretty excited about it. 

Edited by chenault
4 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

There are some for sure. 

But you spread that out to the top 10 or 15 and I still think you've only got 2 Sig shooters 😋

I can't count that high!

I noticed that Eric Grauffel is using a JP which is a pretty strong showing

1 minute ago, Fo0 said:

i meant to add she has won High Lady at PCC Nationals the last 2 or 3 years with the MPX

No doubt she is the real deal.  It's in her blood.  I held the Sig and the JP the same day I bought the JP.  Just couldn't make myself buy that ugly turd.  It may very well

shoot softer/flatter.  

I have both MPX and JP. MPX worked as long as I cleaned every match. The system is a major pain to clean. The JP is reliable with much less frequent cleaning and it cleans much easier. I like that the JP has tunable weights and springs, the mpx has alternate springs and adjustable gas valve from in lead we trust, but I found I could get the JP to have less dot movement through tuning. This was a surprise for a blow back gun.

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

i meant to add she has won High Lady at PCC Nationals the last 2 or 3 years with the MPX

IMHO Lena would have won regardless of which platform she shot.  No knock on the MPX but her results are not a function of the MPX.  Doesn't mean ya still can't think the MPX is "best".  🙂

6 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

For any non-JP owners, sorry if this thread became an JP is better than anything else kind of theme. My point honestly is just to say I feel like the product price point is justified and would gladly buy another after my experience so far.

Sell the other three and you’d have a good start to getting another one.  You’ve already got an optic and mags.  A backup gun is never a bad thing.  

Edited by jkrispies

I might sell the Ruger. The FM9 is really an amazing product for the money, I think it would be fun to tinker with it as I learn to tune one since I not only what I read here about that. The Scorpion is also cool and my GF loves it. Since she is going to shoot PCC as well, she's going to decide between the FM9 and Scorpion. But I suspect you're right and I'd better start saving for her JP.

9 hours ago, ABQautoxer said:

For any non-JP owners, sorry if this thread became an JP is better than anything else kind of theme. My point honestly is just to say I feel like the product price point is justified and would gladly buy another after my experience so far.

My thoughts exactly. I'm happy with all of my JP's and I gladly sold most everything else. I'm of the opinion that the quality and reliability of the JP GMR's easily justify the cost. 

10 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm happy with all of my JP's and I gladly sold most everything else. I'm of the opinion that the quality and reliability of the JP GMR's easily justify the cost. 

Very true, I’ve watched A LOT of tailgate gunsmithing at matches, but never were any of the patients a JP.

MB