Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powder for A Single Port Comp 9 minor

Carry9shoot40

I searched and searched so I apologize if this isn’t new. Please point me in the right direction. I’m getting an Atlas Gunworks  Erebus. It’s meant for 3 gun and is a single port open gun designed to shoot 9mm minor loads. I’m trying to decide what powder to use. I’ve read Auto Comp and HS-6 for 9 major guys but not really that much info on running a compeded 9 minor gun. 

I run Alliant Sport Pistol for my Nemesis 40 major gun and love it. Not sure if that would do or be ideal. I want to use what will use that comp the best and track the flattest. Thanks!!

22 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd use a light bullet (115 gr) and lots of slow powder - HS6 is probably

about right - but get your PF up to 140 -150.  

Try that against faster

powders and lower PF's and see which you prefer in your gun.     :) 

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd use a light bullet (115 gr) and lots of slow powder - HS6 is probably

about right - but get your PF up to 140 -150.  

Try that against faster

powders and lower PF's and see which you prefer in your gun.     :) 

Thank you, I will do that! Would you have a load charge you think to start? Like 4.5 under the 115?

Edited by Carry9shoot40

18 minutes ago, AHI said:

Try your sport pistol with a 147. Have a similar setup .

I tried the slow powders and light bullets.the 147 load felt better to me.

and yes load in the 140 to 150 pf range.

Try what the others suggested you may like it better. I did not.

Thank you for your input. What do you shoot, Do you have a comped gun? 

yes its comped . The gun is a glock with a single port comp.

I use it in 3gun competition. remember all steel must fall ,all spinners 

must spin, etc, no calibration calls. Thats a big reason for the 147 load. Been looking at 2011s real hard just

can't quite make the move.

double taps are fun with this set up.    😂

Edited by AHI

10 minutes ago, AHI said:

yes its comped . The gun is a glock with a single port comp.

I use it in 3gun competition. remember all steel must fall ,all spinners 

must spin, etc, no calibration calls. Thats a big reason for the 147 load. Been looking at 2011s real hard just

can't quite make the move.

double taps are fun with this set up.    😂

That sounds awesome. What powder are you running and what charge weight? 

Oh and if you buy a 2011, look real hard at Atlas Gunworks. 

147 sns flat nose either sport pistol or Bullseye   3.4gr

they both chrno the same.     sp takes up a little more space.

have lots of Bullseye will be using it for some time.

7 minutes ago, AHI said:

147 sns flat nose either sport pistol or Bullseye   3.4gr

they both chrno the same.     sp takes up a little more space.

have lots of Bullseye will be using it for some time.

Nice. I have a ton of sport pistol and I love it in my .40 major gun. Very clean and consistent. I assume you are loading a shorter OAL with a Glock? I would load longer. Are you running a dot? If so do you notice a difference in how it tracks between the powders? 

Everything you do will involve a compromise.  Light bullets result in the dot returning more quickly at the expense of knock down power (unless you really up the PF).  Heavy bullets knock steel down better, but you use less powder for the same power factor, so the comp is worked less.

The one thing you don't want is a lot of gas jetting out the front of the comp.  That is going to increase felt recoil and muzzle rise.  Use the Brazos test with whatever powder you use to make sure that is not happening.

I'd start with 115s using powders in the WAC, CFE/Silhouette burn range.  If that passed the Brazos test, I'd try again with a slower powder.  If you are looking for the flattest and softest, you want as much gas as possible without any (or much) jetting out the front.  Most of the people I shoot with using 115s all gravitate to the 150-155PF range.  And they all use WAC or Silhouette.  They have no trouble knocking steel down.

Other friends swear by 124s at the same PF.  One goes to 161PF, just to be sure.  Another shoots 135s, because he feels that is the best compromise between recoil and knock down power.  Each of these is going to feel different, and only you can decide which compromises to make.

To save you some time and effort, I'd recommend you go to Everglades ammo and buy at least 100 rounds each of their reman 115, 124 and 147 JHP ammo.  They load that with the same slow OEM powder they use for their major loads.  The 124 is the hottest by a tad.  They are all in the 133-136PF range with the same powder.  So what you'll be feeling is just the difference in recoil, muzzle rise and feel.  That way you'll get a good initial feel for the differences and which you prefer.  https://www.evergladesammo.com/ammunition.html?caliber=6&manufacturer=100 

BTW, only use JHP, heavy plated or CMJ bullets so you don't lead up the comp.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Everything you do will involve a compromise.  Light bullets result in the dot returning more quickly at the expense of knock down power (unless you really up the PF).  Heavy bullets knock steel down better, but you use less powder for the same power factor, so the comp is worked less.

The one thing you don't want is a lot of gas jetting out the front of the comp.  That is going to increase felt recoil and muzzle rise.  Use the Brazos test with whatever powder you use to make sure that is not happening.

I'd start with 115s using powders in the WAC, CFE/Silhouette burn range.  If that passed the Brazos test, I'd try again with a slower powder.  If you are looking for the flattest and softest, you want as much gas as possible without any (or much) jetting out the front.  Most of the people I shoot with using 115s all gravitate to the 150-155PF range.  And they all use WAC or Silhouette.  They have no trouble knocking steel down.

Other friends swear by 124s at the same PF.  One goes to 161PF, just to be sure.  Another shoots 135s, because he feels that is the best compromise between recoil and knock down power.  Each of these is going to feel different, and only you can decide which compromises to make.

To save you some time and effort, I'd recommend you go to Everglades ammo and buy at least 100 rounds each of their reman 115, 124 and 147 JHP ammo.  They load that with the same slow OEM powder they use for their major loads.  The 124 is the hottest by a tad.  They are all in the 133-136PF range with the same powder.  So what you'll be feeling is just the difference in recoil, muzzle rise and feel.  That way you'll get a good initial feel for the differences and which you prefer.  https://www.evergladesammo.com/ammunition.html?caliber=6&manufacturer=100 

BTW, only use JHP, heavy plated or CMJ bullets so you don't lead up the comp.

Thanks man! I will try that. Do you know what powder they use if I like it? 

1 hour ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

Thanks man! I will try that. Do you know what powder they use if I like it? 

They will not divulge that info.  Nor will they say what it is equivalent to.  I've been loading 115s to major and decided to see what the 124s felt like.  So I ordered 100 each 124 minor and major.   That way I'm not stuck with a bunch of 124s if I don't like them.  Since I've shot major using everything from WAC to Major Pistol powder, I should have a pretty good idea what they are using, burn rate wise.  My guess is nothing faster than HS-6.

17 minutes ago, zzt said:

They will not divulge that info.  Nor will they say what it is equivalent to.  I've been loading 115s to major and decided to see what the 124s felt like.  So I ordered 100 each 124 minor and major.   That way I'm not stuck with a bunch of 124s if I don't like them.  Since I've shot major using everything from WAC to Major Pistol powder, I should have a pretty good idea what they are using, burn rate wise.  My guess is nothing faster than HS-6.

That’s what I figured. My buddy has a ton of Auto Comp. how would that work?

Autocomp works just fine for 9mm minor.  As I mentioned above, that's what a lot of my buddies shoot.  Somewhere around 5.6gr under a 115.   Since you are going for flat, a slower powder might work for you.  I prefer Silhouette to Autocomp.  It is just a tiny bit slower, and cleaner.

45 minutes ago, zzt said:

Autocomp works just fine for 9mm minor.  As I mentioned above, that's what a lot of my buddies shoot.  Somewhere around 5.6gr under a 115.   Since you are going for flat, a slower powder might work for you.  I prefer Silhouette to Autocomp.  It is just a tiny bit slower, and cleaner.

Awesome. I’m going to buy some silhouette. I like cleaner powders. That is why I run Sport Pistol. Thanks for taking the time to give your experience. This newbie appreciates it! 

Before you run out and buy anything, shoot the Everglades ammo.  Then borrow some of your friends WAC and load up some 135PF rounds using a mix of JHP bullets.  Shoot them.  See which you like better.  Maybe one will hit your hand harder.  That will be the faster powder.  Maybe one will settle the dot faster.  When you get excited about a new project and start trying a bunch of different things without first establishing a baseline, it gets expensive.  That's how come I once had 28 different powders in my reloading room.

BTW, where are you located?

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Before you run out and buy anything, shoot the Everglades ammo.  Then borrow some of your friends WAC and load up some 135PF rounds using a mix of JHP bullets.  Shoot them.  See which you like better.  Maybe one will hit your hand harder.  That will be the faster powder.  Maybe one will settle the dot faster.  When you get excited about a new project and start trying a bunch of different things without first establishing a baseline, it gets expensive.  That's how come I once had 28 different powders in my reloading room.

Yeah for sure I’ll be doing that. I know what you mean. There are just so many choices. I’m going to start with WAC with every grain after I try the Everglades. I’m in Fort Worth Texas!

23 hours ago, zzt said:

Tell me what you think. I’ve got Delta Precsion JHP 115, 124 and 147. I’m going to start with WAC 5.6 under the 115 at 1.165, 4.5 under the 124 at 1.165 and 3.5 under the 147 at 1.165. 

5.6 WA under a 115 is the exact load my friend shoots for SC.  He uses a HAP instead of the DP.

There is no reason to load to 1.165" for minor.  The Everglades major ammo runs 1.145".  The minor runs 1.135".  As long as their minor loads feed well, you should run around that OAL.  You'll use less powder, it will keep the pressure up and burn cleaner.  Loading long is a necessity for major if you use gobs of slow powder.  Definitely not for minor.  I'd start using Hodgdon's recommended starting loads and work up from there.  Remember, you have only one comp port, so you want to manage the amount of gas you generate.