Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
UpYoursPal

Best open gun for under $4k?

Recommended Posts

Check with your local gun club shooters - they'll probably let you rip off 

a mag so you can see if you like the CZ's - and don't forget, if you hate

the feel, you will get used to it after a lot of practice (dry-firing).   :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I've been thinking about all of the Czechmate suggestions, and after reading more about it, it looks like a really solid suggestion that I'm going to consider.  I've seen that while there isn't a robust market for Czechmate mods like there are for 2011s, it's probably enough to satisfy me.  This thread has been especially instructive: 

 

 

Question: I'm now pretty used to the feel of the 1911/2011 platform, and I've never shot a CZ-anything before. Nobody I know has a Czechmate, but I know someone who has a few CZs, including a -75 and Shadow 2.  In the absence of an actual Czechmate to try out, is there a comparable CZ gun that mimicks the feel of the grips, control, trigger, etc?  That is, is there another CZ that may have the same feel in the hands as a Czechmate?

 

The Czechmate is based on the CZ Tactical Sport (TS) frame which is slightly larger than the CZ 75.  This is noticeable in the size of the grip when comparing the 2.  The trigger on the Czechmate is SA so will not compare to a DA CZ 75 even in SA mode. The trigger is quite light from the factory, with a little bit of pre-travel (pre-travel and over travel are adjustable). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my trubor for $2000 with guga ribas holster and 4 pouches

 

i am getting TANFO from MAGNUS in VEGAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to go against the grain and say don’t tip money into the old gun. 

 

Sell the old gun and add that to your $4k. 

 

Now look at the popular builders like venom (donnyglock on this forum) or atlas or even a ck. That will leave you plenty of $ for mags etc too. 

 

Donnyglock/venom seems to be a pretty rare combo of value/timeliness/performance. I have no first hand experience with his guns but other guys on here do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, hump said:

I am satisfied so far with my SPS Vista short 9mm. With mags and optic I am under $2500

lots of locals here are using those too, with much success. They run right out of the box.. All of them are using 9 major 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CK seems to be the best value out there, I shoot Infinities but a CK is a good gun and probably the best value out there.

 

Don't waste your money on a Franken gun by throwing money into yours. 

 

Sell it, use the money towards a CK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Underwood said:

lots of locals here are using those too, with much success. They run right out of the box.. All of them are using 9 major 

The SPS  38 super version works excellent too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, benny hill said:

The SPS  38 super version works excellent too 

I’m still kicking myself for not buying a brand new vista short 9mm instead of the used custom Sti I bought. My sti is a nice gun don’t get me wrong, but every aspect of SPS’s guns are just that much better. My sps limited gun is a true piece of art. The sps vista 9mm seem to be totally out of stock everywhere. Only the 38s are left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USPSA Equipment survey indicates most use the STI grip vs. a steel grip. I think you already have something to work with. If it were me I would turn it into a very cool gun for a couple of grand. Less if the slide can be salvaged. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Front Man said:

USPSA Equipment survey indicates most use the STI grip vs. a steel grip. I think you already have something to work with. If it were me I would turn it into a very cool gun for a couple of grand. Less if the slide can be salvaged. 

 

Actually steel has plastic beat.  CK + PT = 39% and one can assume the majority of the Infinity 15% are steel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could afford a new blaster with steel grips I would buy one.

While steel grips were more than 50% of the survey, polymer still came in a rock solid at 37%.

But, I have deep, empty pockets...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If steel and polymer grips make up 87% of the shooters, what are the other 13% using, wood?

Edited by muncie21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

If steel and polymer grips make up 87% of the shooters, what are the other 13% using, wood?

I would imagine aluminum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where do you find polymer vs steel - all i see is manufacturers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So through a twist of fate, I'm gonna have the opportunity to buy a brand new STI DVC Open for less than $3k, which WILL come with three mags (2x 140mm and 1x 170mm).  Seems like a pretty sweet deal for a brand new gat, but should I be wary of straight STI guns?  It'll be the 2019 version with the RTS2 and new grip and racker, for reference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

I can buy a brand new STI DVC Open for less than $3k

 

Great price     :) 

 

I'd go for it.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 3k or under with 3 mags,  I’d say it’s a prettty sweet deal. Especially if it’s the new one with the black barrel and new grip, and RTS2. It’s a pretty cool looking gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

For 3k or under with 3 mags,  I’d say it’s a prettty sweet deal. Especially if it’s the new one with the black barrel and new grip, and RTS2. It’s a pretty cool looking gun. 

It does look pretty rad, though I’ve gotta admit that I liked the stainless/TiN look the last ones had going.  I’m also not sure what to think about the RTS2, but hey, whatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UpYoursPal said:

It does look pretty rad, though I’ve gotta admit that I liked the stainless/TiN look the last ones had going.  I’m also not sure what to think about the RTS2, but hey, whatever

I’m just now making the move from a slide ride to a micro dot. Not an RTS2, but a Romeo, so pretty similar. Hopefully I like it, cause I sold my cmore lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest opinion, go with a Bobby Carver Open G17. I dont know why one wouldn't. This is mine and have shot thousands of rounds through 1911s and 2011s and I think its all about what makes you confident enough to practice. I am well practiced with Glock so I have no issues. "Beware of the man who owns only one gun, for he probably knows how to us it..."

 

Great quote..

Screenshot_20190206-170039_Gallery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So through a twist of fate, I'm gonna have the opportunity to buy a brand new STI DVC Open for less than $3k, which WILL come with three mags (2x 140mm and 1x 170mm).  Seems like a pretty sweet deal for a brand new gat, but should I be wary of straight STI guns?  It'll be the 2019 version with the RTS2 and new grip and racker, for reference. 


I say do it and do it fast!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went the route of having my older gun completely worked over and re done. And I’m extremely happy with how it came out. Basically every small part was replaced, plus the barrel, grip, magwell. It’s easier to list what wasn’t replaced, and that’s the slide and frame. Every single other part wad replaced. And it cost about 1/4th-1/6th the price of building a totally new gun. I figure I can reload about 40,000 rounds of ammo with the money I saved by not building a new gun.  Here’s some before and after.  

E92F73C7-0828-43B2-8916-05FE4AEFB352.jpeg

CB58F46E-99C7-46E0-AB24-A2AE64ED94B8.jpeg

29223A06-0CB4-4CCF-BE08-2882D51AEBA4.jpeg

F3E1B5B4-4BED-45AE-A382-35763DC4A8EF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jfitz427 said:

I went the route of having my older gun completely worked over and re done. And I’m extremely happy with how it came out. Basically every small part was replaced, plus the barrel, grip, magwell. It’s easier to list what wasn’t replaced, and that’s the slide and frame. Every single other part wad replaced. And it cost about 1/4th-1/6th the price of building a totally new gun. I figure I can reload about 40,000 rounds of ammo with the money I saved by not building a new gun.  Here’s some before and after.  

 

It looks fantastic...it looks like Don's work.

 

Edited by LuvDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...