Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable 1911 single stack?

MisterPlink

For a $1200 gun I found the  trigger on the SIG Max unacceptable. I like the look, but was really disappointed with the quality. I don’t expect a 2 lb competition trigger on a $1200 off the shelf gun, but the MAX was the worst trigger I’ve felt in that range. I own a few Dan Wessons and they are a good solid gun. They need tuning for competition, but most  guns will anyway unless you are buying from a custom shop.  The triggers on the Dan Wessons are good for a beginning competition shooter. Experienced shooters will want a trigger job.   I also own a more expensive “custom gun “ 1911 from a small manufacturer that my local  gun shop was selling at a premium for while (not a big name) that was complete crap internally (mim parts) and failed soon after entering competition. I had to have a gunsmith replace the internals with quality parts to get it running properly. I’m happy I got that gun on a year end fire sale when they couldn’t unload them for $3500+. Luckily for me the rails and fitting are decent.

STI also makes a great 1911 setup and is very customizable to fit the needs of a wide variety of shooters.          

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, warpcorps said:

For a $1200 gun I found the  trigger on the SIG Max unacceptable. I like the look, but was really disappointed with the quality. I don’t expect a 2 lb competition trigger on a $1200 off the shelf gun, but the MAX was the worst trigger I’ve felt in that range. I own a few Dan Wessons and they are a good solid gun. They need tuning for competition, but most  guns will anyway unless you are buying from a custom shop.  The triggers on the Dan Wessons are good for a beginning competition shooter. Experienced shooters will want a trigger job.   I also own a more expensive “custom gun “ 1911 from a small manufacturer that my local  gun shop was selling at a premium for while (not a big name) that was complete crap internally (mim parts) and failed soon after entering competition. I had to have a gunsmith replace the internals with quality parts to get it running properly. I’m happy I got that gun on a year end fire sale when they couldn’t unload them for $3500+. Luckily for me the rails and fitting are decent.

STI also makes a great 1911 setup and is very customizable to fit the needs of a wide variety of shooters.          

My point on the Sig Max is That the internals are quality parts. They may need a bit of polish/tuning/touch-up, but you don't have to buy them. Plus you get a quality coating, Ice magwell and front strap checkering. Even having to tune trigger, that's a pretty  good deal.

I don't own a Sig, I just like the features you get on them, especially the Max. 

My opinion---find a used Springfield Range Officer in .45acp, beat them down as low as they will go on price, put the pistol in a box and send it to Matt McLearn (now living / building in Ohio).  Call and explain you are new to single stack and ask him to do what he thinks needs done to make it reliable for what you want to do with it. 

Good luck, have fun.

The reason I would not go with a Sig Max is the slide shape.  That drastically reduces the number of holster you can use for SS.  It is series 80 and has a crappy trigger.  That can be worked.

The SA RO is a good, inexpensive way to start.  It is 70 series and come with forged farme and slide and a match barrel.  There are many of them at my club, and they are all fit tight.  They are all accurate.  Yes, the trigger will need work.  Yes they use MIM internals, but they are good ones.  So around 30,000 rounds and they start to wear out, put goof billet or bar stock parts in.  Really, the parts you care about are the receiver, frame and barrel.  If those are good and well fit, everything else is a piece of cake.

Just for the record, I don't own a SA 1911, because I build my own.  However, I have worked on friends ROs, etc. to improve the trigger pull, get rid of the ILS on the older models, etc..  One of my shooting buddies has a Loaded.  He puts 5,000+ rounds through it a year, and has been doing it for five years.  Other than me fitting a new MSH to eliminate ILS, it hasn't been touched.

46 minutes ago, JayDee said:

no experience with BUL, but that looks like a bull barrel and won't be legal in single stack (bushing barrels only in full sized 1911s).

It’s also available with a bushing barrel. I would get one with the bushing so I could shoot IPSC, USPSA, or IDPA with it.

39 minutes ago, zzt said:

The SA RO is a good, inexpensive way to start.  It is 70 series and come with forged farme and slide and a match barrel.  There are many of them at my club, and they are all fit tight.  They are all accurate. 

I think the SA RO is the way go for me. What about regular vs stainless finish?

Is the stainless more durable?

55 minutes ago, MisterPlink said:

I think the SA RO is the way go for me. What about regular vs stainless finish?

Is the stainless more durable?

The stainless is more problematic.  It is harder, and harder to work with.  Some stainless types have a tendency to gall.  That being said, I have several friends shooting SA stainless guns and there has not been any galling.  Since you are going to shoot SS, you won't be having any work done on the slide.  In fact, you won't be having anything done except for possibly trigger work.  If you can wait 500 rounds for it to smooth out, you may not even need that.  So buy whichever floats your boat.  The SS is easier to polish out holster marks, etc.  With a Parkerized gun you can't do that unless you refinish.

I have seen a lot of gently preloved STI Trojans for less than a grand here and on the various other sites.  I have a stock one that I have put 35k~ish through and it has been flawless.  I cracked a bushing due to spring stacking that I didn't catch.. but that was me and not the gun.  It has been an amazing gun period, let alone for the cost.

The biggest variable in reliability of any gun primarily depends on the quality of ammo you are feeding it followed closely by how well you maintain the magazines. If you feed the gun junk ammo, and never maintain the magazines, who builds the gun doesn't matter. You WILL have reliability problems.

I have lost count of how many times I have seen shooters blame poor reliability on guns, when they should be looking in the mirror for the root cause. The vast majority of gun reliability issues are self induced by the user in some manner or another.

Has anyone personally seen or heard of  a stainless steel 1911 locking up during 

competition?

I live in Canada and it seems like Springfield Armory has sent all of its SS Ranger Officers to us. On all the major gun retailer websites here, they are SS or the Operator (with rail) models.

Stainless will only lockup/gall when it's brand new and fit is super tight (slide to frame or bushing and barrel). I had a new to me DW PM9 that *might* have started to gall during my first match with it. I'd only had maybe 50rds through it and I'm guessing the prior owner had about the same.  It got stuck about 3/4" out of battery.  I went to the other bay and was able to remove the slide stop and get it loose, oiled, and it finished the match.  

Edited by IronicTwitch

21 minutes ago, IronicTwitch said:

Stainless will only lockup/gall when it's brand new and fit is super tight (slide to frame or bushing and barrel). I had a new to me DW PM9 that *might* have started to gall during my first match with it. I'd only had maybe 50rds through it and I'm guessing the prior owner had about the same.  It got stuck about 3/4" out of battery.  I went to the other bay and was able to remove the slide stop and get it loose, oiled, and it finished the match.  

Yikes! That’s what I’m afraid of. Have you had any problems since?

As you can see from responses, you can buy almost anything and get a good one. Some are just more popular and have a reputation to go with the name. You will also potentially get a bad one, but it's less likely if you spend more, to an extent.

I agree with Charlie. If you shoot even a moderate amount for a competitor, and especially for multiple seasons, you will very quickly out spend what you put into your gun, even at the high end level. Obviously everyone is on a budget, but get the best gun you can afford. I have a S&W 1911 E Series ant it rocks. Got it for about 1200, was sold when I shot a friend's, and loved the look and small features that set it apart. 

MP, buy the SS if you like it better.  Clean it thoroughly when you get it (before you fire it).  Lube it liberally with Weapon Shield CLP, then go shoot it for practice.  Bring it home and repeat the clean and lube.  By the time you have 500 rounds down the pipe, you'll have nothing to worry about.  As I said, none of my friends SS ROs galled.

If you shoot Single Stack, decide what's important to you, and understand your ability to work on it. 

Even a $5,000.00 custom gun will need attention.

That said, the Sig Max and Dan Wesson come with quality parts. You will probably still need to tune and polish it to get it where you want it, but you probably wont be upgrading many parts.

With regard to Series 80 or Schwartz (sp?) firing pin safeties, take them out or leave them in. Either way the gun can be made to work well if you know what you're doing.

Springfield has a great customer service reputation built on a crap QC reputation. Some swear by them. I've found them to be poorly fitted, have lots of sharp edges and junk internals. YMMV, like I said, some cats have had nothing but good experiences with them. 

Same with Kimber. I've shot a bunch of them and owned a few. Never had an issue. Other dudes, not so much.

One thing I like about Sig is they give you front strap checkering. Yes, grip tape works, but checkering is so much nicer looking. You'll have to be able to live with the funky slide though.

If I was starting over, I'd go with the Sig. Yeah, you need a specific holster, but what's that, $60.00? Non issue. Especially if you don't already have a bunch of 1911s and holsters already.