Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for a newbie

1911in9mm

7 hours ago, Terry44 said:

What's the case volume like with Sport Pistol?  For those that have used it, is it closer to VV320/ WSF or low like Titegroup?  

More than titegroup and less than WSF.  EZ to tell if powder in case if you are watching.

Haven't used N320 in years but from memory about the same volume as sport pistol.

Edited by AHI

On 1/17/2019 at 10:41 PM, Terry44 said:

What's the case volume like with Sport Pistol?  For those that have used it, is it closer to VV320/ WSF or low like Titegroup?  

Terrry44, I haven't used it YET since I'm on the same search as you for now. What I did find was "Density" for a range of powders including burn rates. Density is a measure of grains/cubic centimeter (gr/cc).

Titegroup: 11.799 gr/cc     Burn rate:  3

VV N320:    8.264 gr/cc      Burn rate: 15

WSF:           11.905 gr/cc    Burn rate: 44

Then from further googling:

Sport Pistol: 10.69 gr/cc    Burn rate: 12

So it looks to me like VV N320 is going to have the greatest fill with Titegroup and WSF having lowest fills. Sport Pistol should be slightly more than TG & WSF but less than  N320 by quite a bit. This has nothing to do with specific load data but just a general drift of an idea of fill rates.

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Why would anyone worry about fill rate for 9 minor?

Not sure either....Only reason to worry about fill rate is avoiding a compressed load or the spill factor on a progressive press both of which are more of an issue for major loading. Some schools of thought correlate the case volume to accuracy potential...this comes from the flake shotgun/pistol crossover powders (like unique) in low pressure calibers like 38 special or 45acp that suffer from powder up or down position variations. Use a ball, flattend ball or ganulure type powder and position/volume dont make much difference in a 9mm.  

On 1/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, B_RAD said:

My load is 4.3gr of BA9.5 , for a 124 gr Xtreme rn @ 1.150".  This got me 131 pf at Area 4 Chrono out of my Glock 34. 

I'd start at 4.1 for a 124 coated. 

I use this powder & load at 1.130 with 124 Bayou Bullets in my Stock 2 and SS 1911.  Its a pretty decent load!

53 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Not sure either....Only reason to worry about fill rate is avoiding a compressed load or the spill factor on a progressive press both of which are more of an issue for major loading.

Spill factor is what got me going on the densities of powders...one drawback of N320...but plus for Titegroup...and a reason to look at Sport Pistol.

6 minutes ago, Bench said:

Spill factor is what got me going on the densities of powders...one drawback of N320...but plus for Titegroup...and a reason to look at Sport Pistol.

I forgot about the fluffy N320. I dont use it as I found A#2 is like a poor mans substitute. Its cheaper, more dense, meters perfectly, just as accurate, and is soft.

In all my handgunning I have 4 core powders for minor loading I always end up using for the right mix of accuracy, cleanliness, and feel. Those are Titegroup, A#2, WSF, & HS-6.

TItegroup works well in the .45 for any lead, coated, or plated bullet for a major PF,  in the 38 varients it works well for lead, coated, or plated bullets with 147 gr or lighter bullets, and 9mm plated bullets of all weights (it does not work well with lead or coated in 9mm). A#2 works well for for all the  38 variants of lead, coated, or plated with most weights but especially likes the heavier bullets in the 158 -165gr. WSF is my go to for heavier (135 gr and up) lead or coated in the 9mm. HS-6 is my jacketed 9mm powder for 130 pf minor on up to major. 

The powders I have tried and do not like are E3; dirty and meters horribly with variation like crazy, Clays; low charge weights with crappy metering makes for inconsitancy and pressure issues, Unique; another metering frustration with severe case position sensativity, and Power pistol: always felt sharp and accuracy was ok but not as good as others. 

The sport pistol I have not tried, it sort of intrigues me to check it out. But most of these newer marketed flavors of the week dont do anything more than most of the established flavors. 

3 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

I forgot about the fluffy N320. I dont use it as I found A#2 is like a poor mans substitute. Its cheaper, more dense, meters perfectly, just as accurate, and is soft.

In all my handgunning I have 4 core powders for minor loading I always end up using for the right mix of accuracy, cleanliness, and feel. Those are Titegroup, A#2, WSF, & HS-6.

WSF is my go to for heavier (135 gr and up) lead or coated in the 9mm.

The sport pistol I have not tried, it sort of intrigues me to check it out. But most of these newer marketed flavors of the week dont do anything more than most of the established flavors. 

Have you loaded any coated 124's with any of your core group of powders? (A#2, WSF,  or HS-6) Favorite??

On 1/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Mcfoto said:

I'm new to reloading too and will pass on some good advice given to me: Don't get hung up on the flavor of the month powder quest. Pick something tried and true and like you said, readily available so you can repeat good results. I started with HP-38 which I found excellent results with. The problem is our local retailers don't stock it regularly. Fortunately, I had a reloading mentor with a stash of Universal he bought during the powder drought and had moved on. So I'm working my way through that. My only issue with Universal is it doesn't meter well. It's a lot of work to get a consistent charge. I did piggy back this friend's order of Sport Pistol and have worked up a load in .40 major that seems to work well. But when the two pounds I bought ran out, I'll probably go back to HP-38. I haven't seen Sport Pistol on the shelf anywhere here.

I’ve been loading for the past year with Universal Clays... also given to me by my reloading mentor lol.  Never got a chance to chrono but did recently and wow... I was shocked when my velocity was all over the place.  This is the first time I’ve read that this powder is hard to meter.  Reloading on a 650 if it’s a press issue.

What did you do to remedy it?  Or just use it up and move on?  

I bought a bunch of titegroup already to switch to once the universal is done. 

3 minutes ago, hello0o0o0o said:

I’ve been loading for the past year with Universal Clays... also given to me by my reloading mentor lol.  Never got a chance to chrono but did recently and wow... I was shocked when my velocity was all over the place.  This is the first time I’ve read that this powder is hard to meter.  Reloading on a 650 if it’s a press issue.

What did you do to remedy it?  Or just use it up and move on?  

I bought a bunch of titegroup already to switch to once the universal is done. 

Still using it up in my revolver loads which I load on a single stage so weight every charge.