Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mission - soft and flat shooting AR15

chicoredneck

I played around this last year with setting up the “softest flattest” rifle I could. The conclusion was an sjc comp, vltor  a5 buffet system(with 00 buffer), adjustable gas block, and an aluminum carrier. 

My rifle has a rifle length gas system and an 18” barrel. 

I tried 5 different comps ,3 different carriers, 4 different buffers. After mix matching and shooting the above proved to be the best setup for softness and flatness the only downside is it seems to be a little on the heavy side. 

Edited by naim

On 1/25/2019 at 11:03 PM, naim said:

I played around this last year with setting up the “softest flattest” rifle I could. The conclusion was an sjc comp, vltor  a5 buffet system(with 00 buffer), adjustable gas block, and an aluminum carrier. 

My rifle has a rifle length gas system and an 18” barrel. 

I tried 5 different comps ,3 different carriers, 4 different buffers. After mix matching and shooting the above proved to be the best setup for softness and flatness the only downside is it seems to be a little on the heavy side. 

I shot that rifle about the time @naim finished his test. that was hand's down the flattest/least recoil AR I've ever shot. It felt like a 22LR but loud.  

Took the rifle out today for its first run. I tired Blockader’s buffer/extension tube method. I had a very flat impulse, but couldn’t get it to cycle reliably even with the gas all the way up. I’ll need to play with it more. When I dropped in the rifle length buffer with some of the weight removed it ran much more reliably, but it had slightly more recoil. The rifle stays very flat, but I’m excited experiencing more wobble than I like.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:07 PM, chicoredneck said:

Took the rifle out today for its first run. I tired Blockader’s buffer/extension tube method. I had a very flat impulse, but couldn’t get it to cycle reliably even with the gas all the way up. I’ll need to play with it more. When I dropped in the rifle length buffer with some of the weight removed it ran much more reliably, but it had slightly more recoil. The rifle stays very flat, but I’m excited experiencing more wobble than I like.

What kind of malfunctions were occuring? Was it still not 100% with the rifle buffer? 

I'm running my 14.7" (carbine length) with an adjustable block, H1 buffer (4 oz), RangerProof Enhanced BCG, and a Precision Armament M11 Severe duty compensator and it's insanely soft and fast. I have it set right where it's reliable with anything I feed it.

Another setup I have is a 16" with a VG6 Gamma, carbine length gas (not adjustable), I forgot who makes but the bolt but believe it's AR15 cut over M16, and I think a plain old buffer out of a tube kit and that's also super soft as well.

59 minutes ago, chicoredneck said:

Actually, it’s also possible the bolt was outrunning the magazine, as cases were ejected, but nothing was fed. It didn’t have the issue initially, but after about 15 rounds it started occurring.

Hmm. Would it lock back on an empty mag? I would load one round in the mag and turn the gas all the way up and make sure it locks back. Then run the gas down until it doesn't lock back and go back open a click or two. Then load a mag with 30 and try it, then one with 10. That would diagnose a lot. I have never used the TTI spring and google won't tell me whether its reduced or what not, but I have used regular carbine, -10% rifle, and Tubb springs with this buffer method with fine results. So you could swap in some different springs and see what happens. Just make sure you use the dowel to push back bcg into the tube to make sure you have enough quarters to clear the receiver when you switch springs. Just to be sure.

Out running the mag would explain why turning up the gas didn't help anything. I have not used this buffer method with ultra light BCGs like the Whiskey Arms, only middle weight BCGs. So thats one X factor for sure. 

Honestly, I have a range on my farm so I can easily make adjustments and immediately test them. If you are having to make range trips with a bunch of components to test out, you might be better off just using the lightened rifle buffer and calling it good enough. 

14 hours ago, chicoredneck said:

I’m was running a standard rifle spring.

If it is indeed out running the mag, logic suggests its the higher return velocity of your ultra light bolt and buffer pushed with full strength spring. A reduced 10% buffer spring might fix it. 

On 2/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Blockader said:

If it is indeed out running the mag, logic suggests its the higher return velocity of your ultra light bolt and buffer pushed with full strength spring. A reduced 10% buffer spring might fix it. 

I threw in the TTI spring and it solved my problem. It’s amazingly soft shooting and cycles incredibly smooth!

4 hours ago, chicoredneck said:

I threw in the TTI spring and it solved my problem. It’s amazingly soft shooting and cycles incredibly smooth!

Awesome man, I'm glad this setup is working for you. Its been flawless for me. I shoot wolf gold for hoser and medium range (<300) but if you want some lighter than m193 premanufactured ammo you can try the PMC bronze to get even more softness. 

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that comp once you get it tuned and all. There is no user info on it yet.

So far I like the comp. I haven’t drilled any of the ports, but the rifle stays flat with the current set up. I had some issues with what I think was either torque caused by the rifling, or the full power spring slamming the carrier home to hard. In addition to the TTI spring, I also added some lead shot into the buttstock compartment, which added a couple pounds. After these changes, the issues went away.

Its the lightest and flattest shooting 223 I have ever shot.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, chicoredneck said:

Regular springs with the light weight buffer?

Obvious: will differ from person to person due to resistance on forces coming back, grip leverage, etc.

But here is my experience: Once gas is tuned on JP ULMOS, I use the provided spring on the standard JP SCS (I believe it is black), and rifles will reliable cycle and lock back on PMags with SCS with all 3 standard weights... and get this, SCS with 2 tungsten + 1 standard. No difference in function. This is using very weak .223. 

Some rifle gas will prefere the 3 standard weight config to lockback reliably.

That should give you a lot of what you need to get a headstart :)

SJC Titan is very effective, but Very heavy.

I just switched from SJC Titan (5.8oz) to APA The Answer (2.3oz) . I am very impressed how well it performs. After few trials with removing different port plugs the dot now juts kind of shakes instead of moving up and down or up and right .