Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load 124/147gr Titegroup

JohnS23

4 hours ago, BJB said:

As stated by previous posters, OAL is specific to your bullet & your chamber leade.  You have to determine it.  The OAL listed in manuals is a kind of guide if you will but it is still only relevant to that particular bullet and chamber leade.  These powder charge weights guys are giving you are all good suggestions and are on the lower end if you look at it.  They should all power factor at 130 to 135 or so.  This is not pushing it as far as safety goes by any means.  

Oh okay. Everything is starting to make more sense. Thanks a lot. So for the charges, maybe using 10% lower than the maximum charge is a safe starting point. For the OAL, that will depend on the results of my plunk test for each type of bullet and gun.

23 hours ago, JohnS23 said:

Oh okay. Everything is starting to make more sense. Thanks a lot. So for the charges, maybe using 10% lower than the maximum charge is a safe starting point. For the OAL, that will depend on the results of my plunk test for each type of bullet and gun.

You can go directly to the loads recommended. They’re all under that point.

And unless you have a really good starting point (thousands of people use those loads nationwide) start at minimum and work up with a chrono.

You are playing with explosives you’ll be holding in your hands when you detonate them, after all.

40 minutes ago, hankdiesel said:

147gr zero jhp, 3.0gr titegroup at 1.120".

Works well in my handguns and MPX.

Seems a bit low to make PF in a pistol. Most JHP 147s need 3.4+ while coated 3.2. 130 -135 PF.

3.0 with a JHP in a pistol probably feels real good and flat, but my experience in multiple guns would probably not make PF, ever.

PD JRN 147 in TF S2 3.5 gr 130 PF, same load CZ Shadow 2 135 PF.

ACME 147 FP  (coated) 3.2 gr same PFs.

Both 1.14 OAL

Edited by HesedTech

The OAL listed in manuals/data is completely useless; always determine your own OAL (Tutorial).

Since I own a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow all my 9mm gets loaded to 1.09 with a CamPro 147gr bullet. Why? Because it has the shortest barrel leade in my stable of 9mm handguns. I don't bother tailoring the OAL to each handgun. I've found that OAL has little to no affect on accuracy at "gaming" distances (25 yard or closer). If you change the bullet make sure you recheck the OAL. Some bullets allow you to load longer, some shorter. Sometimes the magazine will be the limiting factor.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 1/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, hankdiesel said:

147gr zero jhp, 3.0gr titegroup at 1.120".

Works well in my handguns and MPX.

147 zero jhp, 3.3-3.4 grains titegroup, 1.132  138 pf

125 zero jhp 4.2 titegroup, 1.132  140 PF

G34 likes it hotter.

To the OP, remember you are loading for YOUR gun, YOUR shooting style, YOUR preferred recoil impulse, not for anyone else.  If it works for you and you like it, go for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. These have helped me a lot. I really appreciate everyone’s input. I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else but this forum!

I tried a couple of load data posted here and found the “best” that works for me. Sharing this for those who also use a G19.

147gr RN - SNS coated

3.5 gr Titegroup

OAL - 1.125

I will be investing in a competition gun now. Looking at the PPQ Q5 match. Hopefully this same data works, if not I now know what to look for, thanks to everyone here!

Cheers

2 hours ago, JohnS23 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. These have helped me a lot. I really appreciate everyone’s input. I wouldn’t have learned anywhere else but this forum!

I tried a couple of load data posted here and found the “best” that works for me. Sharing this for those who also use a G19.

147gr RN - SNS coated

3.5 gr Titegroup

OAL - 1.125

I will be investing in a competition gun now. Looking at the PPQ Q5 match. Hopefully this same data works, if not I now know what to look for, thanks to everyone here!

Cheers

Whenever you get a new gun just make sure you check what OAL the barrel/bullet combo will allow. PPQ's have a short leade just like my CZ.

4 hours ago, JohnS23 said:

147gr RN - SNS coated

3.5 gr Titegroup

OAL - 1.125

Cheers

What velocity/power factor does 3.5 grains give you?  That has to be up above 140PF or so for a coated 147 gr bullet, even in a G19.  I don't even use 3.5 gr for my 135gr bullets.

BTW: If you get the Q5 and run that load through it the velocity and power factor will be even higher.

Edited by BJB

My favorite minor load, and my wife’s favorite is 2.8g titegroup behind a 147g coated lead bullet, usually blue bullet, loaded to 1.15-1.16.  It’s like shooting a 22 in a full-size gun. But my wife is so small that a micro compact literally fits her like a full size 2011 fits me. Like a sig p938 is a full size gun to her. So  regular  9mm loads are snappy as hell even for me with those little mouse guns.  But this load shoots great out of them. Ever since I loaded a few of this for her she refuses to shoot her old load which was still pretty damn soft, 3.4g unique 147g. 

Im extra careful loading it though. The charge is so tiny that you could probably quadruple charge it without it spilling over. A double charge looks like a normal charge. It’s so small my powder check barely moves up. I much prefer unique when loading for her. 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:22 PM, BJB said:

What velocity/power factor does 3.5 grains give you?  That has to be up above 140PF or so for a coated 147 gr bullet, even in a G19.  I don't even use 3.5 gr for my 135gr bullets.

BTW: If you get the Q5 and run that load through it the velocity and power factor will be even higher.

Thanks for the advice. I will need to make a new load for the q5. 

As for velocity/power factor, I have not run this through a chrono. Although for me, it feels very light in my gun. Having a smaller charge for the 147 gr. Bullet feels slow to me. The 3.5gr seem to make it snappy enough to come back to sight alignment. This is for my G19 and 1911 5”