Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
SteelCityShooter

45 ACP Crimp OD?

I'm going to help a friend set up his new Dillon XL 650 for .45ACP.  I have one myself but only use it for 9 mm and .38 Special so I'd appreciate some advice for setting up his crimp die. What OD of the  loaded rounds' case mouth am I looking for?  

16 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I'm going to help a friend set up his new Dillon XL 650 for .45ACP.  I have one myself but only use it for 9 mm and .38 Special so I'd appreciate some advice for setting up his crimp die. What OD of the  loaded rounds' case mouth am I looking for?  

Been running mine @ .471 brother...

Basically, you just want to straighten the case walls.  Crimps are for revolver rounds where the bullet has a crimping groove.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Basically, you just want to straighten the case walls.  Crimps are for revolver rounds where the bullet has a crimping groove.

Yeah, I know that.  I was just looking for guidance as to what diameter means the belling has been just removed by the taper crimp die. 

So the recommended diameter is .470 to .471".   Great, that's what i'll adjust to. Thanks for the help.

You can run a straight edge up the portion of the case that encloses the bullet and tell whether the belling has been removed.

I can tell you what overcrimping does for ya, makes a nice huge hole in the target since the bullet is hitting it sideways...................

There are several methods I've heard for deciding on/setting the crimp, and you can use whatever method you like.

I've heard of people:

Gradually closing the bell until it'll just "plunk" --that is, drop freely into the barrel, and some people spin it too--.

Adding the diameter of the bullet to twice the thickness of the case wall(and some people subtract 0.001" from that number). An example, just using the numbers found here(because I don't have my notes or any brass nearby) would be:   0.452" + (2 x 0.09") = 0.470"

Gradually closing the bell until it leaves a slight impression in a bullet(you have to pull the bullet to check), then adjusting to have a little less crimp.

My method, using plated and coated bullets with range brass, is to use the formula(I think I'm in the camp of subtracting 0.001", but don't quote me on that) to get approximately where you want it, then pull a few to make sure I'm not leaving a dent.

I do it this way simply because there's enough variance that I could go crazy chasing the "perfect crimp", instead of just accepting that not every round will be within 0.001" of what I'm aiming for.

I've never seen .45acp as thin as 0.009".  If I'm loading .452 plated or coated bullets, crimp is only to about .473" or the bullets get a crimp ring.