Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting without any sights at all!

mvmojo

I was shooting a match 2 years ago, stage 2 my rear sight came off and I did not see or realize it till after I had shot the next stage.

I go p-o'd and wanted to quit and leave, still had 2 more stages. Dad convinced me to go ahead and finish since we were there.

I did and could not believe I finished as good as I did.

Just like everyone said just shoot.

Funniest part, dad was videoing and at 1/2 speed we can see the sight come off.

There is a large school of thought that you see the target, obtain your natural point of aim, confirm your sights and press.  You do not follow your front sight out to the target.  This is what I am now working on and I really like it.

How many times have you drawn and during the end of your press out you have a little too much "slack out" and you fire?  Then are amazed how accurate the shot is.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, IVC said:

Shooting is 80%+ trigger pull, so once you are at a certain level, you can do amazingly well by using alternate reference points. If you center the target over the muzzle and have the correct grip and stance, you are very close to what you'd be doing with the iron sights. That takes care of the horizontal alignment pretty well. Hold over should be a quick trial and error. 

Good shooting, though. It's not easy, but it's a fun drill...

I agree about trigger control.

The Olympians had a drill where they would line up on a target then the coach would turn the lights off. They then fired a shot. If you're lined up properly, it should be a 10.

I came to action pistol from shotgun shooting (skeet, trap, and sporting clays), where you never “aim,” in the traditional sense. Yet high level shooters frequently average well above 99/100 in skeet, and in the 80-90/100 range for sporting clays depending on the difficulty of the course.

You quickly learn that your brain is able to “instinctively” do a lot of difficult geometry to make the shot intersect a target without much conscious input. Practice improves that process. 

It stands to reason the pistol shooting is similar, particularly for people with tens and hundreds of thousands of rounds of experience. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, Guy Neill said:

At least one GM shot competition using an IWB holste5r and 1911 with no sights.

He was very good.

He's back shooting again and he is still very good......... There are still no sights on at least one of his 1911s.

Edited by Dave C

2 hours ago, Dave C said:

He's back shooting again and he is still very good......... There are still no sights on at least one of his 1911s.

That's awesome and hilarious. Anyone have any vids?

I do this, sometimes, and with guns that have great ergos/ergos that work with my hands, I can land really good shots to 25yds. Not 4in good, but 10in.

I'm content with that, with not looking at my sights and just using my regular index.

6 hours ago, Dave C said:

Look for Jim Wall in the following:

Ive had the pleasure of squading with him a few times.  At a recent match his primary SS had the sear spring go out (Jim must have the grip of an orangutan) and he whipped out the back up 1911 with no sights.  Still placed very high even with the stage DQ. 

On 2/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, BOISCOID said:

Jim wall shoots in my section and is famous for cleaning up matches with no sights on his pistol. 

I have seen Jim do this several times.  First time I was pretty amazed.

Couple matches ago, my dot came off my Q5 and Jim was RO ing me.  I looked over and said he could DNF me.  But he's like, "NO, YOU GOT THIS!"  Got the index figured out in a couple of shots and got it done.  He made it a point to RO me on the remaining stages that day.  I learned a LOT and have since added 'dot off' to my practice routine.

My stage times weren't great, but I finished the match and did better than I thought I would.

Back in the Old Days, there was this crazy guy named Paris Theodore...

he took S&W 39's and created a little mod-job called the ASP...

had an odd little sight called the Guttersnipe...

looked like this...

Also had clear grips & mag sides so you could quickly see how many rounds you had left...

asp9_guttersnipe_sight_replaced_both_the_front_and_rear_sights.jpg

Asp_2000_005.jpg

rare_shot_of_an_asp_9_in_the_daylight.jpg

Starred in 11 James Bond 007 novels as well ;)

Edited by bigshrek

A few months ago I was shooting CM 09-02 Diamond Cutter as the last stage of the day.  My dot went out on the second shot of the third target array, meaning I had to take the fourth array with no sights.  It took me a split second to process the fact that my sight had died, but I shot from my NPA and got two alphas very close to each other!  Not only that, but I shot my best classifier to date.  It goes to show you that dry fire pays off - even if you have no sights!

On 2/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, Dave C said:
On 2/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, Abflyboy said:

I have seen Jim do this several times.  First time I was pretty amazed.

Couple matches ago, my dot came off my Q5 and Jim was RO ing me.  I looked over and said he could DNF me.  But he's like, "NO, YOU GOT THIS!"  Got the index figured out in a couple of shots and got it done.  He made it a point to RO me on the remaining stages that day.  I learned a LOT and have since added 'dot off' to my practice routine.

My stage times weren't great, but I finished the match and did better than I thought I would.

Emmett right?  I remember hearing about this.

I've personally read that bit and its quite eye ope