Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife has challenged me to get fit....again....

Andy9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 55 and have never had an issue but my family has had health issues, it motivated me to be healthy. You'll need to consult your Physician, take it a day at a time and recondition yourself about how you think about food. Do a little research on fast food, soft drinks and candy and you'll find that it's cheap to manufacture, terrible ingredients and packed with chemicals. Notice how much of our food comes from China?

Last year, I got serious about my fitness and I did the Whole30 diet. You'd be surprised how easy it is and what you're allowed to eat. You eliminate processed foods, sugar and alcohol to name a few. I didn't need to lose weight but wanted to clear out a lot of chemicals and start new. I lost 12 pounds just because of the diet along with a little exercise. I would suggest adjusting your diet and just start walking everyday. In time, you'll add activities and raise your fitness level. Anyone can do it for 30 days, you'll be amazed how your body and mind will change. Best of luck to you.

You got this man. A couple years ago I was 340 pounds. Couldn’t believe it. I jumped on the keto wagon and have not stopped. I started lifting a lot of weights and doing cardio. I started living an active lifestyle. Hiking, biking, playing sports with my kids and so on. My numbers now (BP, cholesterol, etc) are awesome and I weight in at 240. I’ve got about 20 more to go and I will be there but it’s been a journey and I wouldn’t do it any other way. I strongly urge you to look into the keto diet. It’s been LIFE CHANGING for me. It’s done wonders on many diseases in our world and changed my psoriasis so much. Also recommend “the magic pill” on Netflix. Do yourself a favor and study it. Start with the website ruled.me feel free to reach out for any help at all. Cheering for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read through all of these comments. Some I agree some I do not but hey I’m no expert. I would night suggest a book I just finished reading(I hate reading). The book is named “bigger, leaner, stronger” it’s not just another stupid exercise book it actually gets into the mental game. Plus helps you learn about nutrition (which I’ve tried to read about before and never understood it until now), different diets, training programs(bulking and cutting). The biggest part for me was the mental game which I could carry over to my shooting. I’ve only been doing what the book says and I am noticing larger differences than I ever have. I’m 31 and was fairly in shape before always active running 5k races and stuff still. At one point around 20 I was heavily training in MMA. Right now I “feel” like I’m in better shape than I was then. My cardio isn’t what it was then but it’s getting there. You CAN do this. Keep us updated. Get a Fitbit to count steps and join challenges heck let me know if you get one and I’ll link up with you. 

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

15 years ago I went on a "DIET" - didn't work - kept gaining weight slowly.

Then MD told me I needed to eat "healthy" and I cut way back on carbs and fats.

Didn't realize it but in three months I lost 25 lbs.

Don't "go on a diet" - start eating healthy     :) 

This is a good post. Thinking of it as a "diet" means you've already programmed an end. Truly changing your body for long term health means it's better to look at it as "nutrition."

"Diets" are why people yo-yo in weight. They finish their diet and go back to old habits or, worse, reward themselves with food for completing it. If your current eating habits got you to a place where you're not happy with your body, why would going back to them provide any other result?

Don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog. Your health is your reward.

Instead, think about everything you eat as what it is going to do for your body. 

This is awesome and I'm thrilled to have found this thread.  

I have a solid 20 to lose.  I'm at close to 200 at 5'8, which is the heaviest I've ever been.  Just turned 50.  Same stuff as the OP, however I work on my feet which has probably helped me to not go so big.  However it's all a personal thing.  

I'm back at the gym 5 days a week.  Lifting 3 days, walking 2 days.  30ish minutes right now and will probably move it up to 40 minutes next week.  So far it's been good.  I'm there at open and home to cook my wife and I's breakfast and help with the dogs.  Hoping that slow and steady will get it done.  Now it's on to the nutritional aspect, which is the hardest for me.  I need to cut back on sugar and unhealthy fats/carbs and add a bunch of veggies.  My biggest issue is that my wife is not a huge veggie lover.  I'm sure I'll manage tho.  

Good luck @Andy9 in your journey.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Andy,

LGC is my home club (but I shoot at almost every club in the area) and I'll be working Ryan Rocks again this year - I'm sure I've seen you around but just don't know you. Yet. Hit me up - maybe we can be motivators for each other as I'm almost 60, a solid 40lbs overweight and really want to get my health back. I don't have a blaster as a motivator but I do have a new granddaughter that I'd like to stay around for.... 🙂

Paul

• 2 months later...

A few years ago, a friend of mine came to terms with the fact that he was overweight and out of shape and began a simple program.

Instead of "dieting", he just picked the lowest hanging fruit in his life: sugary drinks and dessert. He started drinking all of his coffee black, and stopped drinking sweet tea, soda, and dessert. I did the same thing, and that cut like 500+ calories a day out of our diets without really changing much.

We also started running 2-3x per week. At least twice. We were both ridiculously busy with work and that's all we really had time for. We started with 1.5 mile runs and worked up to 3.1 mile runs (5k). So starting at 3-4.5 miles per week and working up to 6.2-9.3 miles per week. Which is really quick to do, only takes about 20-30 mins per workout, depending on the distance. Add a max set of pushups before and after the run if you want to retain some upper body muscle. Shower, then go to work.

I did the program with him and within 6 months I had lost 40 lbs. He lost 50. And I was not overweight at the time (mostly did it for fun). We weighed ourselves every 2 months or so. That way we didn't get caught up in the week-to-week variance, which doesn't actually tell you that much.

We continued the program and he continued to lose weight over time. I didn't keep losing much more because I didn't have much more weight to lose.

We didn't worry about pace, tempos, or anything fancy. Just logging the miles.

Just a suggestion. Listen to books on tape or podcasts or music while you run, whatever entertains you. You'll be in great shape, and the weight will melt off, ONLY if you stick with it. If you miss a day, don't worry. Just pick up where you left off.

Edited by BigJerm

I think getting in shape is a lot like getting better at shooting. It's a decision followed by action.

The program above will take 1-1.5 hours per week, split between 3 days, which is nothing.

Making the decision and being consistent matter more than anything else. Crash diets and complicated exercise systems tend to burn people out and you quit. Pick something you can actually commit to LONG TERM. Lifestyle changes have always been the answer.

Edited by BigJerm