Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC Brass - NEVER AGAIN!

IGOTGLOCKED

I take the CBC, Aquila, and S&B brass and load it with 115 gr or MG 124, RN bullets only. Most other bullet profiles just will not seat properly in these thick cased brass. Just this week I did try some 135 Grain Gallant bullets, and believe it or not, they did not crumble the case and create a bulge that would keep the finished round from fitting into a .40 chamber........... 

I just use them for practice rounds that can scatter to the four winds at the range for all I care.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loading up 500 9mm today on my 650, I started having problems with primers not being completely removed from an occasional shell. When I took them out of the primer seating station, I saw they were all CBC brand. So I put them aside and planned to toss them. Never had a problem before with CBC brass, and assumed something must've changed recently with their brass.

Then at some point I saw that my sizing die lock ring had loosened up, and my die had backed out somewhat. Was still in enough for the de-priming rod to knock out primers, except for the CBC which do have tighter primer pockets. After I screwed down the sizing die back to it's proper position, had no problems with primers not being knocked out of the CBC brass.

So check your sizing die first, and make sure it's screwed down to where it just touches the shell plate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, Postal Bob said:

Loading up 500 9mm today on my 650, I started having problems with primers not being completely removed from an occasional shell. When I took them out of the primer seating station, I saw they were all CBC brand. So I put them aside and planned to toss them. Never had a problem before with CBC brass, and assumed something must've changed recently with their brass.

Then at some point I saw that my sizing die lock ring had loosened up, and my die had backed out somewhat. Was still in enough for the de-priming rod to knock out primers, except for the CBC which do have tighter primer pockets. After I screwed down the sizing die back to it's proper position, had no problems with primers not being knocked out of the CBC brass.

So check your sizing die first, and make sure it's screwed down to where it just touches the shell plate.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had that happen a long time ago and installed lock nuts on the top and the underside of the toolhead on that die.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, chevrofreak said:

CBC is good brass, but it definitely takes more effort to size, partially due to the tight primers taking more force to push out.    If you feel resistance on the down stroke, don't force the shellplate to rotate or you will break the indexer ring, no matter what brand brass you are using. 

Indeed, that is when mine broke and it was on a CBC...

Never had a problem with CBC brass, nor S&B or FM.   Not a fan of FM.  I toss AMerc.  I run a 1050.

Lately the of real problem I'm have is with Military brass and crimped primers.  The past 2 years I've been getting more ringers.  The primer  is punched out but the wall is left in, I believe due to the crimp being heavier.

16 minutes ago, RePete said:

Never had a problem with CBC brass, nor S&B or FM.   Not a fan of FM.  I toss AMerc.  I run a 1050.

Lately the of real problem I'm have is with Military brass and crimped primers.  The past 2 years I've been getting more ringers.  The primer  is punched out but the wall is left in, I believe due to the crimp being heavier.

I think the fingers are from set tumbling with primers in an they dry an  corrode 

I'm with Eric, I load CBC nd have never had any more problems with it than any other brand. 

But, I also agree with RePete, I'm seeing a lot more military crimped primer brass than in the past.  My 1050 seems to handle it OK once I got the swaging station set correctly, but I'm really surprised at how much of it I'm seeing lately.  Maybe it's just at my range... 

• 2 weeks later...

I give all S&B, HRTRS, USGI, RG, MKE and Nato brass to a friend with a 1050 with it's built in swager. 

Stepped Brass is FM, IMT, Ammoload and Maxtech which goes to the recycle bucket with any A-MERC, A USA or LY brass.

Most complaints I ever see in the forums is on CBC and Aguila brass but I load them on a 650 with no problem (so far).

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, catfergu said:

Just pony up and buy starline brass. I have gotten 20 reload with no cracking. The brass eventually gets a swage ridge or primer packets get loose but you have consistently and less problems. 

Tell us how that works out for a lost brass match. As a matter of fact I have never got my brass back at any match.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, hiflyer51 said:

That ^

Back in the day If I'd been in a squad which shot last, I got all my brass and more. Most wanted to get out of the heat (south Florida) and get their scores / placement. Back then though a lot of us shot super and sorting through 9's wasn't much of an issue. Today I leave it on the ground, CBC made that possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CBC can eat a d. I crimp to .377 and have had multiple bullets fall out of the case with cbc brass. Like drop round into case gauge and when I pick up the case guage to dump the ammo into the ammo bucket the bullet and 3.2gn of powder are sitting on the bench. Tossed the entire box of once fired brass in the trash. I'll stick with known quality head stamp sorted, cleaned, sized and deprimed brass from everglades. I don't have time to sort brass by head stamp. And really dint have time to worry about a round falling out the case at a match.