Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC Brass - NEVER AGAIN!

IGOTGLOCKED

Over time I have been seeing tons of CBC brass. I checked out the opinions here, some good some not. Having so much of it I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try...

Within the first 100 +/- my 650 jammed a couple of times. Thinking I could figure out what was going on I kept on reloading. All of a sudden the down stroke had a hiccup and I felt a crunch and half of the ring indexer fell on the floor of my reloading room! Had to remove the shell plate to free it up and found a CBC casing jammed in station one with the primer only half out. The de-primer punch was ok and was surprised it didn't break the C-clip.

Consequently I gathered all the CBC brass I could find poured a pound of old TG on it and set it on fire! ( Not really, but I wanted to!!!) So it all went into the recycling bucket. I picked up the phone and told Dillon what happened and had the part in three days, awesome customer service as always! Consequently I spent the rest of the evening tearing my 650 down and preparing for the replacement parts. My 650 looks new now and I hope to have it back together this evening.

For whatever this was worth to whomever, NEVER will I EVER attempt loading that crap again. Ironically I've never had any issues with other brass in going on five years of reloading... However I've now learned how to take a 650 completely apart, so over all the experience was an opportunity to learn!

Cheers from IGG!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I have loaded tons of it with no problem also. I did have a 38 special Dillon die that the carbide ring fell out when loading and they sent me one. I sent the old one back to them for them to see what happened. The new one I got did the same thing after about 1000 rounds and again they sent me a new one. They must have had a bad batch is what they told me since the last one has loaded over 10,000 with no problems. This is on a RL1050. Thanks, Eric

I load CBC brass with .355 FMJ bullets only, because due to the thicker case walls I get a bulges that won’t case check and tend to swage down the coated bullets a bit during seating.

Additionally the CBC primer pockets are slightly tighter than the rest (except for the scourge of crimped ones showing up recently).

With that stated I successfully loaded almost 2K CBC with 147 PD FMJ RN 1.14 recently (any deeper than 1.12 started to cause problems with bulges).

Note: same success on 1050 and previously on 650.

BTW I assume you lube the brass prior to your sizing step?

My x worked for a place that used 40 Magtech range ammo for quals,, I got a 55 gallon drum of it that was going to brass recycle... Dont recall any issue with it loading Major Precision  Black bullets 180's and minor 155.

5 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

My x worked for a place that used 40 Magtech range ammo for quals,, I got a 55 gallon drum of it that was going to brass recycle...

Damn that's some perk.  Guessing the free brass isn't the reason she's an 'X'

46 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I load CBC brass with .355 FMJ bullets only, because due to the thicker case walls I get a bulges that won’t case check and tend to swage down the coated bullets a bit during seating.

Additionally the CBC primer pockets are slightly tighter than the rest (except for the scourge of crimped ones showing up recently).

With that stated I successfully loaded almost 2K CBC with 147 PD FMJ RN 1.14 recently (any deeper than 1.12 started to cause problems with bulges).

Note: same success on 1050 and previously on 650.

BTW I assume you lube the brass prior to your sizing step?

Indeed, 1Shot...

18 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

CBC is not one of the brands I toss - it's a little tougher to seat a

primer on occasion, but my SDB seems to work okay with CBC.

Not my favorite, but it works.     :) 

Seating wasn't the issue, seemed to be de-priming...

☹️

18 hours ago, George16 said:

Never had any problems with CBC on my 550. However, stepped brass like FM(Freedom munition) and Maxxtech are pain in the neck. Thats why I always sort my brass when I’m not doing anything at home.

I don't used stepped brass either brother, and I sort all my brass as well, really helped reduce the coal variance...

18 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

CBC is not one of the brands I toss - it's a little tougher to seat a

primer on occasion, but my SDB seems to work okay with CBC.

Not my favorite, but it works.     :) 

Had I not recycled it already I'd send it for your birthday brother. I do sell a lot of brass but wouldn't send CBC to anyone who didn't say it was ok. I'm just about as picky as to what I sell as I am for what I reload. Don't need someone hunting me down, lol!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

CBC has tight and/or crimped primer pockets.  I have to go very slow on my 550, my 1050 doesn’t seem to care.  Once the primer pocket is swaged I can load at a normal speed on the 550.  

1 hour ago, Aric said:

CBC has tight and/or crimped primer pockets.  I have to go very slow on my 550, my 1050 doesn’t seem to care.  Once the primer pocket is swaged I can load at a normal speed on the 550.  

I suspect if I were to slow down they might be ok but I get rocking along and don't want to have to go slow so out they go!

Loading on a 650.

I find them to be more resistant to sizing than most.

But other than increased effort and slightly longer COL I haven't had any problems.

If you have your press set up for something like Blazer and are loading jacketed bullets and then go to CBC and load coated bullets you might have to make some adjustments.

You might have to increase the flare a bit. You might find your COL is a bit longer than you thought it was.

Not my favorite brass but I'm not going to toss them either.

I'll sort range brass down to the big brand names, and then the multitude of "off-brands" go into a single separate bin. When loading that off-brand brass, more often than not, if a round won't gage, won't plunk, COL too long,  or primer won't seat, it'll be CBC brass. Total PITA. As of late, if I spot CBC brass, it goes straight in the junk brass bin. It's not worth the hassle.

Edited by BentAero