Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI

bucky707

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, B_Seehawer said:

I’m surprised they never got into the steel grip game.

they made some aluminum ones for a while...  their entire marketing campaign is that polymer transmits less recoil than metal grips, so seems like they aren't headed back in that direction.

I really like the plastic grip on my apeiro. The apeiro, edge and steel master are the only guns I like from STI. Really the only guns I like period. At some point you have to stop thinking it's the arrow and not the Indian, hell, there's guys shooting Glock 17's better that most of the guys shooting SVI's. 

I'll be very disappointed if STI stops producing them because I know some day mine will wear out and I'll need another one. 

Edited by louu

3 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Funkymonkey.......sorry for the typo.....Dawsons has STI Edges listed...all models...sorry ..

I think that is part of the problem is they push them out to dealers and they just sit.  The trojan was discontinued 2-3 years ago, but dawson still had some last I checked.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, funkymonkey1111 said:

Just asked on a Facebook feed from the SHOT show.  STI is discontinuing the Edge.

Yup.  One of their shooters said the Staccato P was taking up the mantle in the 2011 group, and the mob did not like that answer. 

12 minutes ago, Tubadude said:

Yup.  One of their shooters said the Staccato P was taking up the mantle in the 2011 group, and the mob did not like that answer. 

I think it's pretty understandable why the "mob" would dislike that answer. They're saying that a 4 inch barreled gun in 9mm or 45acp is their new "entry" level gun for Limited shooters? 

The only gun they have that's suitable for Limited now is the DVC L (looks like formerly the DVC Limited) with the new gen 2 grip. No word as of yet as to how grippy or non grippy it is. A lot of folks liked the stippled DVC grip that came on the previous generations though. 

I'm really not sure what STI is planning here. It just seems like a very unintelligent approach to get rid of their best sellers. 

The Edge made sense as a USPSA Limited gun that could be bought for under 2k. 

The Eagle made sense as an IDPA legal gun or something that could work a little better for 3 gun and then moonlight in USPSA as a Minor scoring gun. 

STI should really have tried to steer harder into the market that actually buys from them, which is competitive shooters. 

These Staccato lines look like They're trying to push into the tactical/ccw crowd, but at $1500 price points it seems like that might be a tough sell. Not to mention 75$ magazines. More if kitted out for max capacity. 

Just seems like STI is intent on completely burying themselves. 

I thought culling the single stacks might help them refocus on a very solid, well made core of a few guns. This news just seems like the lack of focus is still there, just re launching everything with a slightly new name but no indication that quality will be better than before. 

There are enough 2011 builders out there now that STI isn't as ubiquitous as it once was and for the price of the DVC-L there are a fair number of other options. STI also saturated the market so people may not even buy the new DVC lines for awhile as vendors try to offload the previous DVC and Edge runs.

Just looked at there line up. No Idea what they are doing but it sure isnt trying to sell any guns to USPSA shooters other than open. They have NOTHING that would interest me for limited.
Looks like an old obsolete gun,,, 5 " Bull barrel ? no hybrid barrel, no sight tracker, no 6" guns ? Just seems  pretty limited.
So what happened to the various barrel mounted front sight guns that were just getting established when I  left the game ?
I have a 6" eagle  I shot Limited with,,  I think I had to add a Dawson Funnel, vs one came with the edge,, probably better finnish on the Edge but I wanted plain blueing as I knew I would end up changing stuff. 

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Just looked at there line up. No Idea what they are doing but it sure isnt trying to sell any guns to USPSA shooters other than open. They have NOTHING that would interest me for limited.
Looks like an old obsolete gun,,, 5 " Bull barrel ? no hybrid barrel, no sight tracker, no 6" guns ? Just seems  pretty limited.
So what happened to the various barrel mounted front sight guns that were just getting established when I  left the game ?
I have a 6" eagle  I shot Limited with,,  I think I had to add a Dawson Funnel, vs one came with the edge,, probably better finnish on the Edge but I wanted plain blueing as I knew I would end up changing stuff. 

the "new" DVC Limited with the island barrel is pretty awesome honestly.

I honestly don’t see the point of getting an STI right now.  They’re supposedly replacing the Edge, but for now they’re out of the under $2k market, with the majority of their DVC lineup being over $3,000.  At that point, I really don’t see why you wouldn’t just get an Atlas Titan or something similar from another superior builder for not much more money.  

More and more companies in this business are taking the Planet Fitness approach of trying to get as broad of a market appeal as possible while alienating their core users.  

First got an edge less than a year ago and I don't plan on ever going away from a 2011 now. Bummed that it might have to eventually be something other than and edge or STI.

Kinda makes me wanna get a 3rd Edge just to have a backup to the backup.

I'd still have less money in 3 of them than in 1 custom 2011.

I don't know that I could shoot a custom one better than I do the edge to justify the price.

5 minutes ago, tkane said:

I don't know that I could shoot a custom one better than I do the edge to justify the price.

Bob Vogel still uses a basically stock Glock when shooting limited I believe. I never understood paying much for bling unless it is something that you are buying for display. 

Back to STI. Just got my 40 Eagle back, after a few years and an unknown number of rounds the accuracy had gone south a bit, they put in a new barrel & verified accuracy & paid for all shipping costs. Can not complain about that!!

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, RGC said:

I think dumping the 1911 single stack platform is a mistake.  These were "go to" pistols with undercut trigger guards, easy to change firing components, etc.  I rebuilt over a dozen Trojans and will miss working with them and seeing their contribution to the IPSC/USPSA world as the years go by...

Stay tuned............😉

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, tha1000 said:

Judging by the email I just got from Dawson, STI has discontinued the Edge.  I really wonder what they’re trying to accomplish. 

True, the Edge has been discontinued. There is a replacement model coming soon. Same price point.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, beta1759 said:

it seems apparent they are trying to streamline their processes/machines and only manufacture their top selling items.  This will allow them to reduce costs and setup times, and hopefully improve quality.  Everyone forgets that a company needs to be profitable to stay in business :)

The product line was slimmed down due to several factors. There was multiple models that were very similar to one another, many which did not sell well. Also to streamline processes, reduce the lead times and increase quality.