Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI

bucky707

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

There certainly isn't a stainless option for the Edge on the STI site--wonder if that's all they're discontinuing.  

I've got one on order--if they are stopping making them, I hope I get mine before the production stops

it's not stainless, it's Dawson's hard chromed version.  The Edge has always been blued, to my knowledge, as it ships from STI.  They used to make a model called the Executive which was a hard chromed Edge with a different roll mark.

Edited by tha1000

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/edge/ 

Seems like the "old" Edge is being discontinued and relaunched. The Discontinued Edge is the one we all know with the Blue finish. 

The relaunched Edge looks like it's essentially the same gun except now with a black DLC finish. 

I don't know how difficult it is to refinish a DLC coated gun. That was one of the selling points of the Edge vs the DVC is you'd see people do all kinds of slide lightening get them running well and then refinish in something more durable. Not sure how easy that will be with the DLC finish. 

Let’s see if it’s still out there after Shot Show. I’m pretty sure if Dawson is saying the Edge is discontinued, then the Edge is discontinued.  I think DLC was the finish for all 2018. 

Edited by tha1000

46 minutes ago, shakazulu12 said:

Regarding a single stack legal gun, it was hinted as something likely to happen towards the middle of the year.  I may have missed some other tidbits, I am not patient enough to sit through an hour so I just randomly forwarded to a few spots in the video.

I think they are going to make a larger stacatto but not sure it’s SS legal. 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, tha1000 said:

Let’s see if it’s still out there after Shot Show. I’m pretty sure if Dawson is saying the Edge is discontinued, then the Edge is discontinued.  I think DLC was the finish for all 2018. 

Looks like they killed everything not in the “DVC” lineup and added a 4.15” tactical with different slide cuts. 

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/

It's obvious that STI is trying to reinvent themselves to appeal to the more high end tacticool mainstream market. I'm sure you'll be able to buy cargo pants with that cute 2011 logo soon.

I guess I can't really blame them for that business wise. Outside of competition, I've never met anybody who even knew what an STI was.

If the Edge is gone, that's a real bummer. It was a great price point to get people into a good shooting 2011.

What's the next option for a 2011 in the 2000-2500 range now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Where is it?  I am not seeing it when I click on “all guns”. 
Its not there anymore. I think what everyone is trying to figure out is if this page

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/edge/

Was there before and they removed the link because the gun is dead, or if it's a new page and they are relaunching the gun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I really hope they release a few new things at SHOT. If they get rid of the Edge and don’t replace it with something similar, that entire price segment will be gone from 2011s.  If all they’re offering is $3,000 and up pistols, then I’d just tell everyone who asked me to savea few hundred more dollars for an Atlas or other custom shop gun.   

Now I’m going to be first in line for one of their John Wick 3 guns when those drop, so I’m not entirely anti STI.  

Just an outside opinion, there seems to be quite a bit of movement towards Carry Optics and PCC. I would venture to say the big sales have gone to CZ, SIG, and Glock to compete in the CO arena. STI has zero product to compete in that group. As far as single stack, local sales have trended over to the 9MM, or the old warhorse .45. It seems .40 is falling out of favor. It has no place in CO, PCC, or Open.

I love my old STI Eagle in .45, but since Limited 10 has all but died, I dont have much use for it. Having rarely shot the Limited class, I have noted those moving to CO have come from Limited, the Production shooters seem to have stayed where they are at.

So, maybe STI sees the writing on the wall, and from a business sense consolidation in troubled times makes a lot of sense. Gun sales will more then likely stay flat for two more years until the next election, and then watch out. I will bet the Dems will win the next election, and if you thought the last run on guns and reloading component was bad, watch out. 

buy early, buy often. STI may be making the right moves we just do not see yet.

14 hours ago, Tubadude said:

I really hope they release a few new things at SHOT. If they get rid of the Edge and don’t replace it with something similar, that entire price segment will be gone from 2011s.  If all they’re offering is $3,000 and up pistols, then I’d just tell everyone who asked me to savea few hundred more dollars for an Atlas or other custom shop gun.   

Now I’m going to be first in line for one of their John Wick 3 guns when those drop, so I’m not entirely anti STI.  

From a FB discussion with one  of their "pro" shooters... the Edge has been discontinued for 2019 but he hinted that a replacement would be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

11 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

I’d go out on a limb and wonder how much the expiration of the 2011 frame patent hurt them. Up until a couple years ago, every single custom builder used their frames.

Good point.  And the introduction of the plethora of metal grip options hasn't helped either, I'd bet...

12 minutes ago, B_Seehawer said:

I’m surprised they never got into the steel grip game.

Not everyone likes the steel grip. I don’t, and at the price I’ll never buy one.

Not everyone likes the steel grip. I don’t, and at the price I’ll never buy one.

That’s fine if you don’t, but Cheely, SV, and PT can’t make them fast enough.

Considering what they are and what they take to make, the price isn’t bad.