Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI

bucky707

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are trying a more tactical line-up to get in more dealers cases. If so, I hope it works for them.

I've seen an STI in only one gun shop, and I've never seen one at a range (other than competing). Hope they can do more to reach the market.

I think it's good for them dumping the 1911 which you can buy anywhere at any price point.

8 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

Maybe they are trying a more tactical line-up to get in more dealers cases. If so, I hope it works for them.

I've seen an STI in only one gun shop, and I've never seen one at a range (other than competing). Hope they can do more to reach the market.

I think it's good for them dumping the 1911 which you can buy anywhere at any price point.

They’re going to have a very difficult time in the tactical market when their tactical guns are close to 4K. Most of these guys don’t want to spend anywhere near that on a gun that’s going to get used hard. Hell, I think they’re still have problems if they dropped the price from 3700 down to 1700. Most people just won’t spend that much on one gun. 

Havent looked at their page in years, does seem to be a bit lacking in models.  No more 6" eagles ? No more Trubores ? Match masters or steel masters I guess, and prices do seemed to have climbed dramatically.

I think dumping the 1911 single stack platform is a mistake.  These were "go to" pistols with undercut trigger guards, easy to change firing components, etc.  I rebuilt over a dozen Trojans and will miss working with them and seeing their contribution to the IPSC/USPSA world as the years go by...

When I got out of the game, the STI's with the compensators that wernt a compensator,,, basically an Uncut trubore with the front sight on it for Limited was all the rage. Guess it didnt pan out for them in sales.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

When I got out of the game, the STI's with the compensators that wernt a compensator,,, basically an Uncut trubore with the front sight on it for Limited was all the rage. Guess it didnt pan out for them in sales.

Whats old is new again...

14 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

Judging by the email I just got from Dawson, STI has discontinued the Edge.  I really wonder what they’re trying to accomplish. 

That concerns me a little. That is the only entry level gun in the wide body market before getting into some financial barrier to entry for new shooters. Makes me want to buy one as a backup sooner than later.

STI definitely seems to be going after a different customer based on their average price point. They are no longer the bargain 2011 shop or at least they're trying to get away from that image. 

7 minutes ago, Adamj said:

STI definitely seems to be going after a different customer based on their average price point. They are no longer the bargain 2011 shop or at least they're trying to get away from that image. 

It’s interesting they were once the “bargain” shop. I haven’t been into it very long, so as long as I have they’ve been like they are now, expensive. The edge being the one exception. Would have been cool to see an sti line up with some entry level cheaper options. Seeing all the different models that come up used now, they used to have quite the selection. Now it’s just the DVC if the edge is out. I don’t think that’s a good business model. They should atleast have a few models. Entry, mid and high, kinda like they used to with the eagle, edge, then idk what was considered high end, but you get the idea. 

it seems apparent they are trying to streamline their processes/machines and only manufacture their top selling items.  This will allow them to reduce costs and setup times, and hopefully improve quality.  Everyone forgets that a company needs to be profitable to stay in business :)

16 minutes ago, beta1759 said:

it seems apparent they are trying to streamline their processes/machines and only manufacture their top selling items.  This will allow them to reduce costs and setup times, and hopefully improve quality.  Everyone forgets that a company needs to be profitable to stay in business :)

This makes sense because they have sold virtually zero Edges and Trojans...

My understanding is they are cutting back the number of guns they are offering, to produce a better product at a competitive price.

Wasn't everyone complaining about their quality control etc not to long ago? These are the steps they are taking to fix it, and the new STI guns I have held recently are certainly better guns than that of 2 years ago. They got rid of the single stack, but added the staccato, which is a single stack grip on 2011 frame (and shoots great btw!).

I believe the edge will still be available at 1999, its kind of their staple go to competition gun before the DVC line.

I think what they are doing is smart, and good for the competition shooting community as well.

Edited by dkamps