Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 2011 is doubling/tripling

Pfiddy

I have a total custom build from one of the big name builders that is doubling. Sometimes triples Ive had up to 4 rounds at a time. Its an occasional occurrence and I'd like to send it back to the builder to get it repaired but I have a class coming up and there is no guarantee it'll be back by then (builder is very busy). 

Any suggestions on what the problem may be and is it simple enough to address myself? Thanks for the input

One of the grip screws was loose (thanks man), I'll get it to the range ASAP and see if that fixed the problem. Would the overtravel adjustment have any bearing on this issue? If the sear spring is an issue, how would I be able to tell? 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, rooster said:

Confirm ot by holding trigger back and letting hammer down slowly if you feel a bump the hammer is hitting halfcock notch. Back off ot until it doesn’t and then go one turn more.

This worked for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't check just the grip screws, make sure the bushings are holding the grip to the frame tightly as well. I had some worn bushings that gave me the run around with trigger parts. Spent a lot of money and time for an easy fix. That or like others said, sear spring. Sounds like you figured it out though.

JFWsZ73.jpg

See the flat T-shaped area with no blueing on it? Polish that without rounding any edges. A dozen or so passes on a flat Arkansas stone will clean it right up. If that area on yours is blued, knock the blueing off with an India stone and then polish it.

Next: Check the disconnector for burrs. Check the disconnector hole in the top of the frame for burrs. Check the areas of the sear that touch the disconnector for burrs. Make sure the disconnector is protruding above the frame by at least .055". Look into the magazine well with a strong light and make sure the disconnector is not sticking out and bumping on an inserted magazine, I've seen a couple poorly made disconnectors that needed some radiusing around the square area to stop this. There's more but let's move on for now.

Now that all that's out of the way, we can address the real problem since the disconnector is usually not the cause of a runaway gun. It's almost always either a poorly tuned sear spring and/or a bad/worn trigger job where you don't have enough engagement surface and/or engagement tension between the sear and the hammer hooks. When the gun goes into battery the sudden stop jars the gun and the hammer jumps off the sear and abracadabra the rangemaster hates you.

Protip: buy yourself a set of outside pins, they are cheap and will constantly come in handy for many things such as this.

Thanks for the information. Im always interested in learning more about keeping these things running. By outside pins do you mean these (referred to as trigger adjustment pins)

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/trigger-job-tools/trigger-job-hand-tools/trigger-adjustment-pins-prod677.aspx

This one seems to be a sear spring issue but its only been a couple hundred rounds since the fix, so more info is always better

I'd make getting it fixed a real high priority.  A gun that fires more than one shot with each pull of the trigger is classified as a full auto and the ATF has absolutely no sense of humor about unregistered ones, even it it is unintentional.  You don't want to flirt with a felony because of the gunsmith's mistake.

20 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I'd make getting it fixed a real high priority.  A gun that fires more than one shot with each pull of the trigger is classified as a full auto and the ATF has absolutely no sense of humor about unregistered ones, even it it is unintentional.  You don't want to flirt with a felony because of the gunsmith's mistake.

can you link to some news stories about felony prosecutions for this issue? I have never heard of one, but I work for a different federal LE agency than ATF.

fwiw, my wife and i got new limited guns, with triggers just under 1.5 lbs. I tweaked the sear spring slightly to bump it up to 1.75 lbs to make sure I don't get dq'd or have doubling problem. 

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

can you link to some news stories about felony prosecutions for this issue? I have never heard of one, but I work for a different federal LE agency than ATF.

Yes, this might be an internet legend and I have no case law to cite but the law is pretty explicit and I, for one, wouldn't want to be the test case.  Whether an accidental doubling is really likely to be prosecuted, the potential exists so why not get the gun fixed?

Put the tinfoil hat down and back away slowly.

I've asked more than a few BATF agents about this (and other things that come up) over the last three decades. All said basically the same thing. If you're not hooting and hollering and bragging up your awesome muti-shot per trigger pull gun, no one cares; malfunctioning gun does not equal machinegun. One said it best: "If that was an issue then all rimfire autoloaders would be banned because of the occasional slamfire."

You'd be shocked at just how crazy you have to get to have them after you. Yeah, we've all heard stories but those are crazy rare considering there's this whole branch of government dedicated to policing firearms and a nation full of firearms owners. I've called them more than a few times on questionable guns that came into my possession, only once did they care enough to send someone out. It was a true Saturday Night Special with no manufacturer and no serial number. He found a tiny proof stamp and said that was good enough to the letter of the law as an "identifying mark" for a gun of unknown age.

As to all the obviously illegal guns that I absolutely never saw, the clueless owners were educated on exactly what sort of trouble they could bring. All were smart enough not to even risk the walk back to the car with them and they paid a very small fee to someone (absolutely not me) to de-mill them. I may or may not have a 20mm ammo can nearly full of torched up scrap metal, but at least it's not illegal metal.

Edited by Absocold

On 2/8/2019 at 7:07 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

Sure.  And I guess if some guy's barrel explodes and ends up under 16 inches, he just created an SBR.

7 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Sure.  And I guess if some guy's barrel explodes and ends up under 16 inches, he just created an SBR.

Only if he cuts it off behind the damage and continues to use it.  🙄

Ok, maybe inadvertent doubling isn't going to get the owner prosecuted, assuming he doesn't make a habit of using it that way.   It is nice to know the ATF isn't staffed only by ogres. 

I’m familiar with NFA regs, I’m not too concerned about being hauled in for a malfunctioning gun. 

Seems to be running good now although it added a bit of weight to the trigger. I may take some of the tension back out of the disconnect leaf. It’s still a very crisp triggger so I might leave well enough alone.