Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Council after the COF

gmantwo

Council after the COF  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to be given a quick counselling session after a course of fire if you almost did something that could have gotten you DQ'd?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain in comments)
  2. 2. Do you feel that it is a good idea or a bad idea to give counselling sessions to shooters who could have gotten DQ'd but didn't?

• It's a good idea.
    • It's a bad idea.
    • It depends (explain in comments)

27 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Love ya’ Jack but 180 is 180.

even at my age, I can't tell the difference between 179 and 180, and I'm willing to bet you can't either. If it's at 180 exactly, I personally am unable to make the call with certainty.

Regarding the original questions, I personally let people know at local matches if they were particularly close, especially if they were obviously not aware of it. At a major, I generally figure most people are big boys, but I have been known to say something, especially if it was one of those calls where I think the 180 got broken, but I'm not certain of it. I appreciate it if someone else does the same for me. Sure, it might throw some weaker folks off their mental game later in the day, bummer for them. Getting dq'd will probably throw them even further off their game.

Edited by motosapiens

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve DQd five people in 8-10 years for muzzle violations:

Two were novices crowded too close to walls when running around them, who pointed the gun uprange trying to cram it between themselves and the incoming wall. One of them stuffed the muzzle of his gun into his own armpit when his elbows struck the wall.

One was a shooter whose foot slipped pushing off to run uprange. He corrected his arm position but not before hitting the 270. Thankfully, while at slide lock.

Two were mental errors where the shooter ran well past a target while tracking it with his muzzle.

I’ve given warnings on observed safety issues to ten times that number. Always to novices or good friends who were welcoming of the information.

I think it’s more helpful to help new shooters spot pitfalls as they walk a stage.

“Where on this stage do you need to be careful not to break the 180?” 

“Is there a place on this stage you need to make sure you take a step away from the wall before exiting a port? What will probably happen if you don’t?”

Teach new men to fish. And all that.

If I call you on a 180 break, you were past the 185. I’m 3 to 10 feet behind you and things are happening on the move. If I call it, every video camera on earth would have seen you do it. 97% suspicion of a broken 180 is 3% too weak to make the right call.

29 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

If it's at 180 exactly, I personally am unable to make the call with certainty.

Two big fat 👍👍

Regarding the original questions, I personally let people know at local matches if they were particularly close, especially if they were obviously not aware of it.

That’s a big factor.

If a B+ class posts up at 179, or pauses his feet to rip off two shots while otherwise on the move downrange, I’m not going to look too hard at that. He knew he was working within the 170-180 zone, set up to accomodate. (Or at least it looked that way.)

If a shooter of any skill is behaving as if they’re ignorant of their muzzle’s relationship to the 180, that’s when my focus gets locked onto where his gun is indexed.

”This guy is clearly a yard futher dowrange than anyone would have planned to be.”

Or

“If he doesn’t take a long step back, he’s going to be riiiiight at the 180 when he runs around the back of that wall and indexes on the first target... yep. Here he goes... where’s the muzzle?”

Edited by MemphisMechanic

28 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

even at my age, I can't tell the difference between 179 and 180, and I'm willing to bet you can't either. If it's at 180 exactly, I personally am unable to make the call with certainty.

Regarding the original questions, I personally let people know at local matches if they were particularly close, especially if they were obviously not aware of it. At a major, I generally figure most people are big boys, but I have been known to say something, especially if it was one of those calls where I think the 180 got broken, but I'm not certain of it. I appreciate it if someone else does the same for me. Sure, it might throw some weaker folks off their mental game later in the day, bummer for them. Getting dq'd will probably throw them even further off their game.

If it’s 180 exactly then it’s not a problem. 😊

And of course if you can’t tell then you can’t call it. But if you can, you must.

50 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

In all practically, I don't think many calls are made at the 181 line. More likely the 190-200-210 etc.

I think that's what you taught me in my first RO seminar!