Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bag - Shooter's Connection or DAA Rangepack

JesseM

Right now I have this rolling range bag that seemed like a really good idea at the time but the layout of the bag makes it way less useful to me so I'm thinking about either a Shooter's Connection or a DAA Rangepack. However neither website has good pictures of the interior and layout of the two bag.

Does anyone have a good video or picture of the layout of the bags?

2 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Have a look at the GPS range of shooting backpacks from G. Outdoors, some videos on youtube also

I'll give them a look but the rolling bag I have now is from them and the way they did the layout on that really has me convinced they don't really shoot because it's hard to actually use the pockets.

I have had this bag for 2+ years and use it with the DAA range cart.  Yes, the cart is expensive compared to a stroller from a yard sale...

I have never used the chair, lock or hydration system but the layout of the bag is great.  

Buy a second strap for your rig so that it does not swing around. 

The medium size bag is probably big enough but it is on the cart so it makes no difference to me

I just got the CED XL Pro IPSC Range Bag from DAA.  It's a great bag, though I would likely just get the Shooter's Connection bag if I hadn't had the points with DAA.  I was coming from a Maxpedition Range Backpack, which was nice, but started becoming a pain to get in and out of so now it's my chrono bag.

13 hours ago, Balakay said:

I have had this bag for 2+ years and use it with the DAA range cart.  Yes, the cart is expensive compared to a stroller from a yard sale...

I have never used the chair, lock or hydration system but the layout of the bag is great.  

Buy a second strap for your rig so that it does not swing around. 

The medium size bag is probably big enough but it is on the cart so it makes no difference to me

My google fu was weak because I did not find that video. Thank you. I'll watch it here in a bit and see what I think.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:04 PM, JesseM said:

Right now I have this rolling range bag that seemed like a really good idea at the time but the layout of the bag makes it way less useful to me so I'm thinking about either a Shooter's Connection or a DAA Rangepack. However neither website has good pictures of the interior and layout of the two bag.

Does anyone have a good video or picture of the layout of the bags?

Which rolling bag I want to make a purchase one and cry once. One doesn’t matter looking for all suggestions.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:02 AM, JesseM said:

The more I look at the DAA bag the more I think it'd be great for matches but not great for general range use

Don’t overthink this. There is nothing about the bag that is a handicap For general range use compared to matches. I can’t even think what the difference would be. It carries guns, ammo and all the crap you will need 

5 minutes ago, Laxman2809 said:

Which rolling bag I want to make a purchase one and cry once. One doesn’t matter looking for all suggestions.

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD5IC2O/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The frame to do the extending handle and wheels takes up room in the bag and adds weight. I have to walk down like 30-40 hiking trail style steps to get to the range I frequent most and the wheels don't work well in gravel and dirt so I can't use it at matches so  I really only use the wheels going to my car in my apartment building and if I go to an indoor range.

The magazine pockets in the front are oriented such that if you use 140mm mags you can only put them in the bottom row so the top row of mag pouches are either  empty or only for production mags. The side pouches are ok and fit ear pro and eye pro well but the zipper for the main pouches  are long enough that they poke into the side pouches so you have to remove the zipper from the side pouches every single time I use them.

The interior is a big but the little extra pouches inside don't really fit anything well so I don't use them and basically dump everything in the middle which means I have to pull everything out if I need to get the item on the bottom.

Wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless they do all their shooting indoor and don't bring many guns to the range at once.

I have the large Shooters Connection bag and fill it very full. Then I use a cart which has way too short of a handle and the cart holds the bag, cooler, umbrella, mini chair, ammo cans, and way more stuff that I may or may not need. Saturday it was mix of rain, snow, sleet, and maybe even some hail mixed in and things are all exposed so they get wet. The upright cart bags that double as a seat are what I am looking at. Most match days I will realize 8 hours later I never sat down at all. The DAA bag/cart has a rain cover too and more space than I would need or at least at the beginning that would be the case. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the smaller DAA, and it is great for both general range and matches.  I used to have a cart with a range bag, I thought I would get another cart right away.  I have been going to matches for a couple of months now and am not sure I will bother with a cart again.  The pack is that comfortable.  The quality is way above most other stuff I have seen, and the design is really thoughtful.  My only complaint is the CED brass bag that came with it is junk.  I had the older version before and it was a lot better.  Overall, I would say the good design and build quality make it a purchase you won't regret.  BTW, I thought the rain fly was a gimmick until the first time it rained at a match.  It was great to get home and have everything dry after a day in the rain.

Hello: The DAA backpack is heavy unless you use the cart. The Shooters Connection range bags are nice and last a long time. I am testing out a messenger bag setup now to see how it works for me. One thing about range bags is you can have more than one. I do put stuff in small pouches so I can move them from bag to bag easily. Thanks, Eric

I have the smaller CED also. I was torn between that and the larger one - i'm glad I went with the smaller one. with 2 guns, muffs, glasses, rags, and 8 loaded 2011 mags - it's at its weight limit. I keep extra ammo separate in an ammo can.. there's room for it, but it's just too heavy. I'm afraid it'd rip a strap or handle.  I use it for general range use too just so I don't have to load/unload it, but something smaller would be fine for the range.

I am also deciding between the large and medium CED.  It sounds like most folks are pretty happy with the medium.  Anyone here glad they went with the large?  Is anyone not happy with having to carry guns in the main compartment of the medium instead of flat in the bottom hard sided compartment of the large?  I would not use the hydration bladder on the large, would that compartment be a useful size if the bladder was removed?

• 3 weeks later...