USPSA Division for New Shooter?

matir

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a fallacy that one division is easier than another, that idea simply isn’t true.  The only truth is a production or limited shooter can spend less to get started in the sport than Open. But, if a person wants to actually be competitive the same level of participation and practice is required in all the divisions. 

For those who think reloading is an issue, all divisions have the same requirements when it comes to classifiers and the only place it will seem easier is in the field courses. As a Production shooter I often have to reload twice for ever one reload an Open or Limited shooter might do, but the caveat is all the shooters in that division have the same requirement. 

So which division should a new shooter start in? The one they think is the best, however I think there’s less equipment issues with either limited or production. 

For most people's first match, with gear they are likely to show up with, Limited.  Even after that, it's easier to focus on stage plans and shooting in Limited when you don't have to reload every array. 

4 hours ago, RICEARONNIE said:

Gotcha thanks so much. Besides the accelerator cut, we can still have that area stippled and still do double undercuts right? Thanks again for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s how I read it!!

5 hours ago, HesedTech said:

There is a fallacy that one division is easier than another, that idea simply isn’t true.  The only truth is a production or limited shooter can spend less to get started in the sport than Open. But, if a person wants to actually be competitive the same level of participation and practice is required in all the divisions. 

For those who think reloading is an issue, all divisions have the same requirements when it comes to classifiers and the only place it will seem easier is in the field courses. As a Production shooter I often have to reload twice for ever one reload an Open or Limited shooter might do, but the caveat is all the shooters in that division have the same requirement. 

So which division should a new shooter start in? The one they think is the best, however I think there’s less equipment issues with either limited or production. 

That's pretty much spot on.

Shoot what ya got, within the rules, and stop worrying about placement until you're able to place.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, philippshen said:

Carry optic! You don't have do stage planning, just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger!

No stage planning?????  thats what i need....less thinking the better.