Gomar83

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

I’m trying to remember if it was a 625 pc or a 625 jm that I looked at in a indoor range recently that wasn’t cut for moon clips. I apologize for my poor memory.

Both are the same gun more or less .

You can't fire 45 ACP without moonclips, because they are rimless. So all 625s are "cut" for moonclips. (It's just really extra headspace vs a recess on 38 caliber moonclip guns) 

Just a follow up on moonclips. The ones supplied with the gun are made by TK Custom. I also bought a box of four at the gun shop in a S&W box for $10 that are also TK Custom. They work great. The less expensive moonclips are causing issues with binding the cylinder during rotation. When those were stamped there is a ridge of various heights around the stamping that needs to be filed down. About half don’t cause issues and the other half definitely need filing. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gomar83 said:

What would the lightest yet reliable DAO trigger pull weight attainable be, and parts combinations be?

Don't get hung up on getting the lightest trigger possible, take it from the people who have been there and done that: 

Smooth is way more important than light. 

I'll take a smooth 6-7 lb trigger all day long over a 4 lb junky one. 

8 minutes ago, alecmc said:

Don't get hung up on getting the lightest trigger possible, take it from the people who have been there and done that: 

Smooth is way more important than light. 

I'll take a smooth 6-7 lb trigger all day long over a 4 lb junky one. 

+1 I have all of my S&Ws set-up at 6.5# right now.  Most people guess it's lighter than that when they try it.  Smooth operation and proper fitment are more important.  If you are going to send it off give TK Custom a call, they do excellent work.

I just installed a Miculek spring kit I got from Brownells. Wow! What a difference. I did get any additional strain screw and cut it too short so ended up using the original screw (which was shorter than the new screw) and just not screw it all the way in.

32 minutes ago, BHBret said:

I just installed a Miculek spring kit I got from Brownells. Wow! What a difference. I did get any additional strain screw and cut it too short so ended up using the original screw (which was shorter than the new screw) and just not screw it all the way in.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with a backed out strain screw that is properly loc-tited in place.

I’ve got it set at about 7 pounds now. I might tweak the adjustment a little bit to see if I can get lighter. I’m using Federal primers. First range session it was 100%. My Lyman trigger pull gauge only goes to 12 pounds and it was way over that from the factory. Definitely much easier in double action. Single action is around a pound and a half.

Smooth out the mating internal parts. Weigh and record the hammer pull with the trigger pull gage and record the lightest setting that is 100%.  Then find the lightest rebound spring that you like the trigger return of. Is it quick and positive enough?  That is the lightest trigger on that gun that you will like. No 2 guns are exactly the same.

Gomar83, here’s a good woodworking project. This is a moonclip carriers made with a 1x8 ripped to fit the plastic Cabelas ammo carrier and a bunch of 1/2” dowels and a couple of cans of spray paint. 5a37cb813152eee69c4b86bfe1e00b7b.jpg

I should also add that the 200 grain lead SWC shown in the moonclips do NOT feed well in the 625. Great in a 1911 but not 625. I’ve tried sample 230 grain coated RN’s from SNS, Black Bullet and Blue Bullet and am going to settle on Blue Bullet. db79c2d966f5349047bce017b78da3e5.jpg

BHBret wow I love that idea on the carriers it looks pretty straight forward. I never gave it a thought on the SWC’s because that’s all I load for my 1911’s sounds like I better give Dennis a call at Bayou and get some 200 gr RD nose or 230’s. Any preferences on powder?

I went with WST. Was using Clays (original made in Australia) with the 200’s. Federal primers. I might also try Trail Boss. Mainly going to use this in IDPA (PF-155) but it’s inaugural match will be USPSA (PF-165). When the snow melts and it gets warmer I will chronograph my load (starting load of 4.0 grains) to see where it’s at PF wise.

I agree they look short but it’s Hodgdon’s data length of 1.200”. When I cranked out the first one I was puzzled and double checked the website and also hard copy data from Hodgdon. I even searched and found others questioning the OAL of that data here and on other forums. If the velocity is higher than I need I’m going to look at increasing the OAL as a means of reducing velocity. All Hodgdon data for 230 has the same OAL.

They don’t have data for Unique but I do use it a lot in 44 Special.

22 hours ago, AzShooter said:

BHBret, those 230s look way too short.  Seat them out longer and you will probably get better accuracy.  OAL should be 1.272 - 1.275

They look short to me also.  What really caught my eye was the crimp.  I put a taper crimp on mine. You're reloads may by catching on the case, rather than a bullet problem.  Richard.

They load better than the SWC but still hang up on the case mouth. I’m sending the cylinder to TK Custom tomorrow to get chamfered.

I’m going to also look for different load data with WST.

I shot a two stage USPSA match tonight. Each stage was best 24 so good reloading practice. Reloading on the clock is definitely not any faster than practice.

I've always loaded RN 45 bullets at 1.25 or more, most RN's I've had in the past could be loaded to 1.280.  In a Revolver it's not much of an issue load them to the oal (>1.250)that works best unless you're using a way too fast powder, Titewad, you shouldn't see any pressure issues at USPSA PF and below.

Note the 200 RN's usually have a small shoulder.  There are some 185 RN's made though, IBEJ's.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

So I just got my 625JM and I’m not overly thrilled with the factory grips and was wondering what everyone else is using and what are the pros and cons

Hogue Rubber Mono-Grip I like the cheaper regulars then I smooth out the finger grooves and slim down the relief for the empties.  Some like the Big Butts w/o finger grooves.  I have a pair and just don't find an advantage.  But I keep playing with them cause they do look good.  Plus the big wood bottom can allow the gun to slide around on a table start if you hit the pick up wrong.  Both round but and square but conversion (favorite).  Bottom pix is relief cut, not that important but I did it on my 625's.

grip pix.jpg

grip2.jpg

Edited by pskys2