S&W 625JM

Gomar83

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never shot it with the Miculek. Hogue grips fit me well. Glock ginger grooves are too small so when Gen 5 came out I jumped in and bought two of them so far. So, for me, Glock no grooves but Smiths I go groovy with Hogue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

Ideally I would rather have a 610, but that is a fair amount more then what I have available at this moment.

What's the intended purpose for the 625 ? Range toy and plinking, or is the plan to start using it in competition ?

If you plan on using it in competition, the 625, and even the 610 really dont have good use. The 8 shot guns are king. The only time a 6 shooter is needed is if you are participating in ICORE classic division or IDPA

The intended purpose at this time would be for at home on the range, plinking, and to help teach my son and get him into the sport. That and I already load .45acp and .40, so I wanna stick with what I’m already loading.

I'd put an Apex Hammer and Extended Firing Pin in it.  You should be able to tune the action down to about 6 pounds at least.  Definitely have the chambers chamfered. Nothing reloads faster than the 625.  Shoot Round Nose bullets.  230 grains are the best. If you want to shoot ICORE down load them to abut 3 - 3.2 grains of Bullseye.

If you haven’t bought one yet, go and try one. Borrow one, steal one, whatever you have to do. They give a pretty stiff kick to be honest. Not something I would try to teach anyone on. 

But for IDPA it’s a great choice. 

10 hours ago, MWP said:

If you haven’t bought one yet, go and try one. Borrow one, steal one, whatever you have to do. They give a pretty stiff kick to be honest. Not something I would try to teach anyone on. 

But for IDPA it’s a great choice. 

The S&W X-Frame grips help with the recoil but smaller hands don't work well with that grip.

43 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

I have a several  more questions: who do you guys recommend to cut the cylinder for moon clips, what brand and thickness of moons, and how light can you load the .45’s?

How light, as in bullet weight or charge weight? Since you don't have to cycle a slide, you can load 45's to be pretty soft shooting.