Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production beginner, rate my potential setup

KyleJ

As someone who just started this fall and in production:

6 mags is definitely the minimum (ideally 7 incase a mag goes down during a match). 5 on the belt and one in the gun to start. You may run into stages where in order to have a smooth stage plan you need to drop a mag after 2-4 shots, which might mean you run out of rounds before the end of COF. I have only finished on my 6th mag in one or two stages, but I'm glad I had it and I might add another pouch just for redundancy in case I need to drop a malfunctioning mag at some point or if the MD throws in a stage that's an unloaded start and requires low round count reloads. 

As someone else has mentioned, a mag brush is a helpful thing to have in your bag, especially if your local ranges tend to be muddy or sandy/dust. Here's the one I got after my first match and just in time for my second match, where several mags took nose dives into mud. https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Arredondo-Mag-Brush-P97.aspx

For a timer, the Pocketpro II is probably what you will see most often at matches and a good timer is essential to dry fire practice, which will be one of the best ways to improve early on (I've seen huge gains since starting a regular schedule). https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Pro-Timer-II-CEI001/dp/B00LAF7GSI

Production will help you get a great feel for stage planning. Plan your reload points poorly and you'll get stuck doing a lot of standing reloads. Don't worry too much about your gear at this point, I promise your gear isn't going to be what's holding you back ;) 

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Take all advice on how you should do things with a grain of salt. For instance, I have never barneyd in twelve years as a production shooter. I load first mag to 11. I’ve never accidentally loaded 11 into the gun at an unloaded start.

You’ve been told MecGar mags are crap. They were, for the brands listed. For CZ, Tanfoglio, and 9mm Colt AR-15 mags they are a great choice and run flawlessly.

You’ve been told you need lots more mags. I never bring more than 7 to the range: When I shot Glock I used to bring 15-20, all loaded. I often discovered I was missing one when I got back home after the match. 6 will do just fine - you’ll notice a missing one right away too.

This. I have 6 pouches on my belt, the first mag I use has 11, and is the farthest in the back.

What you've listed is a great start, you're good to go. The next thing you should spend money on is match fees, aka just start going and competing. You'll figure out your further needs from there.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:16 PM, KyleJ said:

I haven't found a better alternative to them in the CZ world so far but I will look. I thought they were standard equipment on the Shadow ,2 models

When i shot production with my SP-01 shadow i had some MecGar mags and never had a problem with them...you should be good to go with them.  I did put Springer Precision base pads on them, just for added weight so they would drop free quicker.  Not a necessity.  Good luck!