Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting fit?

matir

Alright, I'll start by admitting I'm in terrible shape.  I'm just getting into USPSA and need to get into a reasonable shape for it.  Even holding my pistol extended for long enough to fire off 50 rounds causes my arm muscles to shake and after ~150 rounds, both my arms and back start getting sore.

What would you all recommend for getting reasonably fit?

I have a couple ideas for you.

1. Get started, doesnt matter what you do, but do it on a schedule. Make it a habit. Start with walking 5 times per week if you must. 3 to 5 miles, brisk pace. If you aren't sweating at least a little bit, you aren't pushing it hard enough. 

2. Watch what you eat. Diet will help you get in shape.

3. Find an accountability partner, someone who will tell you to get off your couch and get your exercise in for the day.

Your diet is the MOST important thing.. High protein and fibers, moderate carbs, you need carbs to function.. Stay away from fried foods, high sugar, especially soft drinks and saturated fats.. 

This will change evething!!! 

My recommendations: apart from what everyone said

- weight yourself every morning, same time.

- when you are shopping for food, if it has a nutrition label....is not food (don’t find them in meat, chicken, tomatoes, etc.)

- avoid snacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you needing to lose weight, build strength, both?

I lost 45lbs in 4 months just by cutting caloric intake drastically (down to 2300/day, my requirements to maintain are 2700-2800/day just based upon body weight and composition) and the weight melted off. I'd put on quite a bit of weight when I had back issues, then more in the sedentary 2 month recovery period after back surgery. The first 2 weeks SUCKED in a big way, I was hungry all the time. Then my body adapted and now a 2200 cal day seems a bit much. The biggest changes came when I cut out sugars (processed ones, I use local honey in my coffee), cut out all sweets & sodas, cut way back on carbs (hard to do in the land of rice and gravy), and drastically increased my veggie intake while keeping my protein intake the same. I'll eat a good sized breakfast, small healthy snack at 9, decent sized lunch, small healthy snack at 3, then a light dinner. I never focused on weighing myself all the time, weight fluctuates a lot from day to day. I do a weekly weigh in, same time of day, same day of the week, same clothes (shorts & Tshirt), etc.

Now, while my job requires strength (mechanic in offshore oil & gas industry), weightlifting and calisthenic workouts caused me to flounder some (different muscle groups used). I found an app that helped get in better overall shape. It's free and called Home Workout by Leap Fitness Group. There are different difficulty levels, different focus areas, as well as a whole body and lower body workout program. They also make other apps that work well too. Those will get you started on the path. After that, you can start focusing on specific exercises that will help you out in different aspects of the sport. Once you get into the "fair to middling" shape, you may decide to get with a trainer to get help you meet your goals (which are always changing).

The walking tip is so important. Just walk fast til you're tired, then slow down. Work up to 30 minutes, 5 days a week.

Push-ups, pull-ups, body weight squats and calf raises are plenty to start. You don't need to buy anything.

However, the COC grippers from Ironmind are awesome. You can start with the trainer and work up.

Also, a good 15min. of dryfire is quite a workout! Grab that pistol and get started! All for free.

Thanks all for the good advice.  Cutting back on carbs and snacking will be quite difficult -- I find myself snacking whenever I'm in a bad mood.

I do need to work on both weight loss and strength training.  I'll try some of the things listed here, but making it a habit will, of course, be the hardest part.

Cutting out snacks and keeping track of your calories so that you see just how much you consume will be eye opening. It's hard to out work a few donuts. You can easily reverse hard work with a weak moment. Done it too many times myself. 

Funny how nobody mentions booze.  It’s always a willpower destroyer when I’m leaning out for summer.  A glass of wine or 2 and I’m raiding the kids snacks.  Plus alcohol slows fat burning and contains 7 calories per gram to boot.

Also start slow, I’ve heard countless stories about people getting on the fitness bandwagon only to do several weeks of working out every day only to get injured - and quit.

45 minutes of decent intensity 3-4 times a week is plenty 

I’m sure people think we work out like all the time.  But 3-4 days a week and occasionally when traveling and shooting, maybe not for 10 days.  That and 20+years of weight training does wonders.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used P90x3 (don't laugh)...it is only 30 minutes and quite intense.  They have a nutrition guide as well..It is great for people that don't have 2 hours to spend in a gym...the first month is a bear but well worth it.  The workouts are very diverse and doesn't let the body plateau. 

Something i will add is water consumption,i have a brita in my fridge and pack it everywhere i go,if your feeling hungry down some and again and again,i fill 1 one gallon jug per day and even thru the cold winter i consume the entirety daily ,in the summer months its usually 1.5 g a day,

For what you're concerned with dryfire 15-30 minutes a day.

If you want to accelerate the process get some dumbbells, just a cheap adjustable set will do. Don't overload cause ego. Do a balanced upper body: arm, shoulder, chest, and back routine. You can do everything in one day or a body part or two a day, make a schedule, hit everything twice a week. Not super intense but you do want to feel some muscle fatigue and get the heart rate up.

You can do bodyweight stuff, but I can't stay motivated for that alone.

Cardio, is a good idea, proper eating can make amazing changes in areas you'd never believe.

Here is my experience.  I'll start off with the fact that I have always struggled with my weight still have a moderate body fat percentage (I fluctuate between 15-25%). My job requires a certain fitness level, but I have very little fast twitch speed.  My regimen for the week is M/W/F full body workouts that are geared towards strength and power and Tu/Th are speed and agility and a cardio circuit respectively.  I incorporate movement, mental performance, and dry fire drills in between and at the end.

I have the use of a nutritionist at work a worked with her diligently to lose weight. Here is what she told me, and I have figure out works for me. 

1. Watch your alcohol and sugar intake.  Not only does it add excess calories it causes inflammation. Some fruit is good but don't over do it, its still sugar.

2. Don't eat after 6pm if possible.  You want to leave about 2.5-3 hours in between when you eat and got to bed.  This will also help with your sleep hygiene.

3. Try intermittent fasting 1-3 times per week.  This is based on your activity level but start out slow.  One time per week, then two times per week every other day, max is three.  This resets your metabolism and gets rid of harmful bacteria in your gut that causes cravings.  The goal is to go between 16-20 hours with zero calories (18 hours being the sweet spot).  I would suggest that you take some BCCA's (sugar free of course) if you are more active.

4. I cut out gluten and dairy for 10.5 months of the year.  Basically all year except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and vacations. I am not necessarily allergic to gluten and dairy but I do believe I have some sort of intolerance, and by cutting them out it is far easier to maintain a more healthy weight and cuts down on inflammation.  More importantly, all my joint pain went away after a week of doing all of the above, and I stopped taking anti-inflammatory medications. The lack of joint pain was a total win for me.  I'm 38 years old and I have a lot of miles on my body, so getting rid of excess weight and pain helps me to move faster during stages.

I went from 227 lbs. to 181 lbs. in less than five months with a 2000-2200 calorie diet of high fat (Lean meats/fresh vegetables/nuts) and low carbs. Just wanted to share what has worked for me, I hope I can help others as well.

Edited by Arc48700

• 3 months later...

Food: When shopping at the store, try to stay away from the aisles, shop on the outside of the store. (Meats and veggies)

Don't eat until you’re full. Learn to moderate. At the end of the day lowering your calorie intake is the biggest factor.

Training:Just get started, you have to make time. And accountability is extremely important whether it’s with family or a friend. If you have the money invest in a trainer they are experienced (most of the time) and will start you at a level that is appropriate for you. 

Anyways best of luck to you on your fitness journey. Keep crushing it

• 1 month later...