Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Lightweight Barrel Positive Review

I purchased the MBX lightweight barrel on Black Friday for my PCC build.  After seeing the previous thread about people having poor accuracy with these barrels I was very concerned that I had purchased a lemon.  I was finally able to get my new build out to the range today to sight in and test and am pleased to report that I had nothing but good results. 

I went to an indoor range and took my standard 9mm minor ammo (125gr BBI TC, 3.5gr PrimaV) and shot 250 rounds with zero malfunctions.  I shot a group for accuracy at 20 yards (longest they had) sitting on a stool with the front supported on my range bag and no rear support.  Using a Holosun 510C with the brightness turned down to get a more accurate aiming point I was able to shoot a 1 inch 5 shot group which considering the imperfect shooting position and my group shooting skills I thought was very good.  

276227860_IMG_20190105_1359171.thumb.jpg.17939d8e1d3e511d93c3ac2606442661.jpg

The only negative I can speak to after my short experience is that coated bullets are going to be a serious no go with this comp.  After only 250 rounds I picked over 70 grains of lead out of the comp and it was smoking like crazy compared to how the exact same load performs in my pistol.  Guess I'll have to move to plated or jhp because I definitely don't want to have to dig lead out of the comp after every range trip.  

What is your build?
Qc10 Skeletonized receiver set
Mbx lightweight barrel
Taccom extreme bolt
Taccom buffer short stroked
Hiperfire 24c
SLR rail
Holosun 510C
cf16c9bf792fb55ea26fbcf60a31c569.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'll just repost the results of my test that I sent to Mac-pcc after the last thread was closed down.  My groups weren't as tight as SGC's, but they at least seemed substantially tighter than what was recounted in the other thread.

Bar1.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, MoRivera said:

So......

Went to the range today with my PCC, put a Vortex 1-6X scope on it.  My indoor range only goes to 73'.  With my normal Blazer Brass 115-gr, I shot two groups.  1st was pretty cold and I got 2.4".  Second had one called flyer which I knew I jerked as soon as I fired (also trying out a new trigger), so that was 2.75" total, but without the flyer it was around 1.5" with almost all holes touching.  3rd group was with Freedom 124-gr, which kicked less but I got a group of around 2.8-3".  That last didn't surprise me because even though the 124 kicks less in my pistols, I always shoot more accurately with the regular Blazer for some reason.  I don't think that Freedom stuff is much good.

But based on those, maybe I got lucky and got a 'good' one.  Put it this way, it's definitely accurate enough for my needs as I'm not the most accomplished shooter, and I was going off of a pretty basic Caldwell plastic rest and my seating wasn't ideal in that cramped booth.  I still might sell the MBX barrel if I get my Taccom back fixed.

Hope this helps.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, MoRivera said:

This is in basically a 'budget' build with an AT3 Billet upper and matching handguard (they're actually pretty nice).  Foxtrot Mike (I think) BCG, Glock mags in a PWA pre-ban lower and Stern Magwell adapter.

Essentially, I think a better shooter would have gotten pretty darn good groups based on what I got.  I'm still kind of new to all of this.

Edited by MoRivera