Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What non intertia bullet puller for coated bullets

thelaserman

Hey folks,

Been searching around with not much success,  I want to get a bullet puller to use with my press.  I use Blue Bullets (9mm).  I read that some of the collet style don't work with cast or coated. Any recommendations? What about the grip and pull?  

Thanks

Do a search of the forums. I talked about it a few months back. Long story short. The grip N pull was useless with BBI coated bullets. A hornady collet puller works about half the time with them but you have to get it just right. Good old fashioned Hammer style puller is the only thing that worked for me 100% without doing any damage to the coating.

Any collet type bullet puller will deform the bullet, any bullet.

A collet type puller may not "grip" a coated bullet, I don't know, but it will crush a bullet way more than an inertia puller.

I have inertia pulled a few 9mm Blue Bullets recently to check for a crimp ring and it worked as it should with a couple of whacks on the concrete floor.

I use the O-ringed collet that comes with the puller, not a shell holder as suggested by some, because it could leave a burr on the rim that can get hung up in a mag.

And if that burred up brass is the last round in the bottom of a mag, it can tear up the follower.

Why have you given up on inertia/hammer type pullers?

sorry way more than you asked for,

😕

Edited by Kenstone

I use the Hornady collet puller.  One of the best things I bought next to a vibratory primer tube filler : )

can't believe I went so long with out those two wonderful things.

It will grip onto xtreme coated bullets.  It will leave a mark but I don't worry about it and reuse the bullets anyways.

I repurposed a cheap ass old Lee single stage press I had in my trash heap, so I am happy about that too.

Edited by Sniperboy

Agreed with the Hornady Collect system. I have it in a single stage press and just put enough pressure on the handle to hold the bullet while it’s pulling on the brass. Hardly a mark on the coated bullets. I do it by “feel” instead of cranking down on the handle and denting the lead.

If it is one or two bullets, the hammer is just fine. If you are doing a bunch, the collet is the only way to go.

I use the Hornady collet puller for breaking down corrosive surplus ammo for the components. I use an inertia puller for everything else. I haven't had much luck with pulling coated or lead bullets with the collet puller and not damaging the bullet.