Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed 9mm minor load with Alliant Power Pistol

NateTSU

Hey everybody I have a pound of Alliant Power Pistol that I want to use to make a 9mm minor load. I am currently using a 125 SNS coated bullet and Tightgroup. I am having issues with leading and think the powder is burning the coating off the bullet. I checked Alliant's website for data but didn't find anything for a Coated lead bullet. Any help is appreciated!

Not saying it can’t be done, but PP might not be the correct powder for the application.

I only use PP for hot self defense loads and copy cat practice self defense loads. Loading super hot 9MM +P+ with JHP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good results with Power Pistol and coated bullets although I'm shooting a heaver bullet....147 grain.  3.8 grains of Power Pistol produced a power factor of 129 out of my 929 revolver. 

5 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Not a great choice for 9mm minor.

Leading issues are more often bullet to barrel fit, and cutting the coating by over crimping.

I had zero leading issues from my Glock 34 with TG/SNS combo but I do have issues from my Sig 320. I didn't think about the bullet to barrel fit. 

• 1 month later...

If I may, you might want to look at Alliant Sport Pistol.  It's made for the coated bullets and recommended by SNS.  I'm currently using the SNS 125 RNLG with WST and it is causing leading.  I didn't have that with the RN.

load one with no powder then pull bullet see if your crimp is cutting the coating.. may be a die issue. You may also need to go up a size on bullets. Your leading problem ISNT tightgroup,,