Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Elections

BritinUSA

• 3 months later...

Didn't know the classification system was broken.

I am or have been active in several shooting sports, and that complaint is almost universal.  So.....is it likely that the classification systems in USPSA, IDPA, NSCA sporting clays, and NRA Highpower Rifle are all  broken?

Or is it more likely that people just bitch because the classification system doesn't work exactly the way they think it should (because you know, only that person can know how classifications should work)?

Didn't know the classification system was broken.

Agreed. The more i shoot, the more i realize how well it works overall for the vast majority of USPSA participants.  I've read some of the candidates' agendas and thought they were ... somewhat irrelevant.    

-------------

A few questions to the open thread 

1. Where could i find list of all candidates, for Area 8 and El Prez specifically? 

2. Similar to what Foley did on Stoeger's and i think was it Levy's podcast? - are there any live chats and Q&A sessions planned by anyone?  

3. In your opinion, without getting too political, who is YOUR preferred candidate and maybe why? 

I am going to send an email to Heather @ USPSA on ##1 and 2, but maybe someone here can answer?  The third one... I dont mean to start any flame wars or get poltical.  I would like to know WHY i should consider voting for one vs another and want to hear substantiated opinions.  

Thanks in advance

Edited by nasty618

There’s a strict ‘no politics’ rule here, unless Brian chooses to create a separate sub forum to discuss the election. I think USPSA should announce all the nominees, the deadline was yesterday so they have this information.

There used to be a USPSA forum but that was shut down, so currently I don’t know of any single place where a discussion could take place. 

47 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I think USPSA should announce all the nominees, currently I don’t know of any single place where a discussion could take place. 

I think that’s intentional. 

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

There’s a strict ‘no politics’ rule here, unless Brian chooses to create a separate sub forum to discuss the election. I think USPSA should announce all the nominees, the deadline was yesterday so they have this information.

There used to be a USPSA forum but that was shut down, so currently I don’t know of any single place where a discussion could take place. 

I like to talk about it at the local match.  I also recommend to everyone to contact your SC and Area Director.  I also like to search out informed competitors in my area that can be helpful in learning about the personalities.

As for discussing on a Forum, I may look at information there but I try not to take every thing said to heart, I'd rather talk about it face to face with others.  But that's just me I'm kind of old fashion.

Edited by pskys2

4 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

There’s a strict ‘no politics’ rule here

I am not sure voicing an opinion on a candidate's policy in a constructive  and respectful manner should be seen as "politics".   For example, if you tell me i should vote for Candidate X because you feel he will revamp the classifier system that you feel is broken or that he will introduce member benefits that you feel are needed... and i then disagree with you by saying i dont think the system is broken and here is why .... and perhaps ask a few constructive questions about what specific member benefits we're talking about and how they will affect the price of membership and my general experience...  Is that politics? Or is that a constructive discussion of candidate's policy that will lead to transparency and better understanding for the general membership?

26 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

As for discussing on a Forum, I may look at information there but I try not to take every thing said to heart, I'd rather talk about it face to face with others.  But that's just me I'm kind of old fashion.

That's probably the best way to get to know someone... but not everybody has the opportunity to meet their elected officials in person at a match, unfortunately... 

I think it would be great if one of the well known podcast/content creators could organize a live feed. Collect questions from membership in advance, ask those, then open the floor to live Q&A.   Doesnt get much easier or better than that in this day and age.

I agree with what you are saying, however it rarely works that way. Insults get hurled around and some get very antagonistic to those with differing opinions... and then there are the trolls who only post things to start a conflict.

I’m not saying it could not be made to work, it needs tight controls and good Moderators.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/08/20/the-dirtiest-presidential-campaign-ever-not-even-close/#363b31c3d840

Sort of on topic, I got a kick out of:  

Callender wrote that Adams was a rageful, lying, warmongering fellow; a "repulsive pedant" and "gross hypocrite" who “behaved neither like a man nor like a woman but instead possessed a hideous hermaphroditical character."

Edit: I think Adams also shot pcc. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

A question and answer forum with Pres and area candidates would be good, I think.  While I like freedom of speech, I also tend to think it would need to be moderated, things tend to get  sidetracked, heated, plumb stupid, etc.  But it would be nice to get an idea of where the the candidates stand and be able to get clarifications.  Enos would be the place to do it too, since this seems to be the biggest collection of USPSA shooters on the net.  Maybe Brian can be talked into adding a forum, just for election time.  I wouldn't care if every question had to go through a moderator before it was posted, if a moderator would be willing to do that.  Would beat the nothing and cluster that is FB we have now.

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

exactly. you can't have free speech without tight controls.

Your speech gets moderated on line or in person.

Anyway, I know all I need to know about this dude with his "fixing the classification system" BS.

Edited by elguapo

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

Anyway, I know all I need to know about this dude with his "fixing the classification system" BS.

Ding! We have a winner!

This is exactly the sort of polarized, politicized rhetoric (predicted in this very thread) that we try to avoid here. 

Thanks for playing! Game over.

Closed.

Which means, if anyone starts it up somewhere else on the forums, they invite a suspension.