Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How I learned to read WSB...

IVC

This was last year, probably my fifth of sixth match. 

There was a swinger that was relatively close but fast once activated. The head and small fraction of the torso were exposed at rest, with barrel covering the remainder of the target. I figured I'd try to game it by hitting the head first, then activating. 

The problem? It was a level 1 match and in the WSB it said "all moving targets must be activated before being engaged." That's when I realized it was a good idea to read WSB for each stage, so I started a new habit...

I'm bad about not reading the complete stage briefing. Just this Saturday the last commands on the briefing where to perform a mandatory mag change and engage the last Target weak hand only on a normal USPSA long stage. Needless to say my 5-minute walk through went out of the window very quickly!

Most of the matches i go to, someone reads the stage briefing out loud prior to the walk through.  Sometimes my reading comprehension is lacking.  But i always read it myself anyways. Show up a bit early to do walk throughs and read all the briefings ahead of time. 

36 minutes ago, SweetToof said:

pretty sure the new 2019 rule update says that it is legal to shoot activated targets before they are activated if they are exposed, but I'm not sure about the ruling if the WSB says it must be activated.

I thought the new rule was that you had to activate the targets before you engage them. Sorry 9.9.3 - Must activate targets before last shot 

Edited by JJB05

2 hours ago, SweetToof said:

pretty sure the new 2019 rule update says that it is legal to shoot activated targets before they are activated if they are exposed, but I'm not sure about the ruling if the WSB says it must be activated.

This is rule 2.1.8.5 and it has always been that way - if it's visible, it can be shot.

However, 2.1.8.5.1 specifically allows Level 1 matches to specify which targets must be activated prior to being engaged, with the rationale that at Level 1 it's hard to construct a bullet-proof stage and if a target is intended to be hidden it should be considered hidden even if it cannot be made so with the existing stage props. It's not a bad rule as it is indeed often hard to conceal moving targets and it's much more important to have a stage "as intended" than to allow gaming based on insufficient range equipment. 

Turns out, all of our stage briefing have a standard disclosure "all moving targets must be activated prior to engagement," so at our local matches rule 2.1.8.5 pretty much doesn't apply.