Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG sneak peek

Kamkaze

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Fasthenk65 honestly the appeal of a Tanfo over a CZ is the badge of mechnical competence that comes with running a flawless one at a match with a great trigger.

You do that, and everyone knows you’re more mechanically inclined than a Shadow 2 owner. :D And M&P shooters? We’re surprised when their shoes stay tied for the duration of the match. They can barely work the knots, after all.

🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Fasthenk65 honestly the appeal of a Tanfo over a CZ is the badge of mechnical competence that comes with running a flawless one at a match with a great trigger.

You do that, and everyone knows you’re more mechanically inclined than a Shadow 2 owner. :D And M&P shooters? We’re surprised when their shoes stay tied for the duration of the match. They can barely work the knots, after all.

It took me 5 Tanfo's to find out that some other brands (CZ) shoot the same with less ' work' 🙂 But... their Limited Custom models are very nice (once you have the sear corrected by gunsmith of Eric Grauffel..)

On 1/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, Steppenwolf said:

I'm diggin that! Thanks for posting.

P.S. For you Millennials, that means I'm groovin what I'm seeing. If I have some spare bread I may get it.

P.P.S. The other day I used the expression "You can't beat that with a stick" in a my local gun shop and a Millennial started to laugh and joked about what the hell does that old timer crap mean.

Hilarious! I’m 41 and my 11 year old daughter thinks I’m crazy half the time. And then they say things that we said at that age and they think it’s original to them. 

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

In all seriousness now you have me a little concerned on my recent acquisition of the Tanfo Stock 1 Carry optics blaster. It’s been completely worked over by Patriot so I should be ok. I’ll find out Friday. 😬

9 minutes ago, Posvar said:

In all seriousness now you have me a little concerned on my recent acquisition of the Tanfo Stock 1 Carry optics blaster. It’s been completely worked over by Patriot so I should be ok. I’ll find out Friday. 😬

Yours will run like a champ if they worked it over! My comments were in reference to those of us who take delivery of a stock gun and fit & tune it ourselves. Learning how the gun works... the hard way.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

Yours will run like a champ if they worked it over! My comments were in reference to those of us who take delivery of a stock gun and fit & tune it ourselves.

Ok! Thanks for that. I feel better and can’t wait to run it. The gun is essentially new. Do the triggers get smoother with a 3k round trigger job like some other guns? 

4 hours ago, Posvar said:

Ok! Thanks for that. I feel better and can’t wait to run it. The gun is essentially new. Do the triggers get smoother with a 3k round trigger job like some other guns

Not if Patriot does a good polishing job; when you get it, everything inside will probably look like a mirror. Hard to get smoother than that, so you probably won’t see much change

I haven’t seen a gun they’ve worked on in person. But I’d be surprised if that isn’t the case.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Looks like they're working on both a DA/SA Production version as well as a SAO Limited version (hopefully imbedding this works properly);

I've been interested in an SAO gun with provision for both a WML and a frame-mounted optic for quite a while...I think I might have to watch this one

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

We are still waiting for the puke green version. Unless your last name is Stoeger you can’t get one over here.

Tanfo's are relatively easy to get in Europe (though expensive, very expensive, e.g.  Lim Custom is more expensive then STI Edge for example...) It's the CZ's which are hard to get... Just bought a TSO (demo model dealer) and am waiting for a .40 and it can take up to a year.... Also Shadow 2's are really hard to get. People buy the OR version for say 450 dollar more since regular versions all go to the US... 

Just now, Fasthenk65 said:

Tanfo's are relatively easy to get in Europe (though expensive, very expensive, e.g.  Lim Custom is more expensive then STI Edge for example...) It's the CZ's which are hard to get... Just bought a TSO (demo model dealer) and am waiting for a .40 and it can take up to a year.... Also Shadow 2's are really hard to get. People buy the OR version for say 450 dollar more since regular versions all go to the US... 

Worldwide, gun companies do weird things it seems.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Lightened slides shoot flatter. But have more recoil. Or more precisely, they have a snappier recoil impulse.

The force is equal, but the time is reduced. Thus the recoil "impulse" is greater as that is force/time.

So lighter slides are "snappier" feeling.

As I've grown in the sport, the recoil is less of a concern. Getting the dot back on the A sooner and more uniformly is the goal!

9 hours ago, johnbu said:

The force is equal, but the time is reduced. Thus the recoil "impulse" is greater as that is force/time.

Precisely. The same reason 45 feels softer than 40: everything happens more slowly with a 45, although with a similar amount of force.

9 hours ago, johnbu said:

As I've grown in the sport, the recoil is less of a concern. Getting the dot back on the A sooner and more uniformly is the goal!

Exactly. 👊 

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Precisely. The same reason 45 feels softer than 40: everything happens more slowly with a 45, although with a similar amount of force.

I never perceived a 45 to feel any softer than a 40 at the same (+ -) power factor. Also even though the heavier 45 bullet is moving slower, given that momentum is held constant, I do not know of a reason why the force propelling the slide backward would be any different. 

On the topic of lightened slides and perceptions of recoil, here is an archived set of articles that is pretty interesting.  https://web.archive.org/web/20171108122611/http://re-gun.com/tag/flat/

There's a lot of stuff in these, but one key takeaway is that, in a reciprocating-slide handgun, recoil really comes in two components/phases: movement of the gun while the slide is sliding, and movement of the gun when the slide impacts the frame.  Playing with recoil spring weights and hammer springs and slide mass can shift the gun's overall movement more into one phase or another (e.g., a stiffer recoil spring will put more force into the frame during the sliding phase, but will slightly reduce the impact at the end of the travel). 

How all this stuff plays into perceived recoil has to do (according to the arguments of the linked articles above) with how our brains perceive motion.  Basically, if all the motion can be crammed into a space too fast for us to perceive, then it won't "exist" for us in terms of perceived gun movement.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 9:46 AM, ATLDave said:

On the topic of lightened slides and perceptions of recoil, here is an archived set of articles that is pretty interesting.  https://web.archive.org/web/20171108122611/http://re-gun.com/tag/flat/

There's a lot of stuff in these, but one key takeaway is that, in a reciprocating-slide handgun, recoil really comes in two components/phases: movement of the gun while the slide is sliding, and movement of the gun when the slide impacts the frame.  Playing with recoil spring weights and hammer springs and slide mass can shift the gun's overall movement more into one phase or another (e.g., a stiffer recoil spring will put more force into the frame during the sliding phase, but will slightly reduce the impact at the end of the travel). 

How all this stuff plays into perceived recoil has to do (according to the arguments of the linked articles above) with how our brains perceive motion.  Basically, if all the motion can be crammed into a space too fast for us to perceive, then it won't "exist" for us in terms of perceived gun movement.  

Very interesting set of posts.  Think I'll grab some ligher recoil springs and do some testing.  

I usually run a 10lb longslide spring in my Lim Pro, and noticed that even when shooting major pf when I jumped up to a 12 lb spring that when I thought I called 2 A's what I almost always ended up with was A/C.  Swapping back to a 10 lb spring immediately brought back the 2 A's I called.  I wonder what I'll see vs hit when I drop down to an 8 lb spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 2:26 AM, Rudukai13 said:

Looks like they're working on both a DA/SA Production version as well as a SAO Limited version (hopefully imbedding this works properly);

Does a rail add more weight up front than a full-length dust cover like the Limited Custom has?

This stock III/limited custom mix sure does look interesting, but honestly I'd be more into a chrome version of the Limited Custom.... in .40 of course.